PDA

View Full Version : Facts about the Sago Mine Tragedy

Boyd Gathwright
01-04-2006, 12:34 PM
-------- Original Message -------- <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">Subject: </th> <td>Facts about the Sago Mine</td> </tr> <tr> <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">Date: </th> <td>Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:21:48 -0500</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<!-- Converted from text/rtf format --> Facts about the Sago Mine
Here is an overview of the Sago mine near Tallmansville, W.Va., where 13 miners were trapped by an explosion about 6 a.m. Monday. According to owner International Coal Group, the mine: Was acquired by ICG last March when it bought Anker West Virginia Mining Co., which had been in bankruptcy. Was cited by federal inspectors for 46 alleged violations of federal mine health and safety rules during an 11-week review that ended Dec. 22. The more serious alleged violations, resulting in proposed penalties of at least $250 each, involved steps for safeguarding against roof falls, and the mine’s plan to control methane and breathable dust. The mine received 208 citations from MSHA during 2005, up from 68 citations in 2004. Has 145 employees. A typical production crew has 10 miners and one foreman. Has annual production of 800,000 tons of coal. The mine has been producing coal since September 1999 from the Middle Kittanning seam. The average thickness of the seam is 5.5 feet. Is a drift mine, which follows a coal seam into a mountain. Uses a room-and-pillar mining system and continuous miners with shuttle cars to remove coal.
TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - In a stunning and heartbreaking reversal, mining officials told family members early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 trapped coal miners initially thought to have survived a mine explosion had died.
The devastating news came more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin announced he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. Rescue crews found the first victim earlier Tuesday evening.
“About the confusion, I can’t tell you of anything more heart-wrenching than I’ve ever gone through in my life. Nothing,” Manchin said.
The sole survivor of the disaster, identified by mining officials as 27-year-old Randal McCloy, was hospitalized in critical condition early Wednesday, a doctor said. When he arrived, he was unconscious but moaning, the hospital said.
“It’s sorrow beyond belief,” International Coal Group Chief Executive Officer Ben Hatfield said during a news conference.
Families gathered at the Sago Baptist Church began running out of the church and crying just before midnight, yelling “They’re alive!” After two days of keeping vigil, they celebrated joyfully as church bells rang in jubilation.
As an ambulance drove away from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.
The governor later indicated he was uncertain about the news at first. When word of survivors began circulating through the church, he hadn’t heard it, he said.
“All of a sudden we heard the families in a euphoric state, and all the shouting and screaming and joyfulness, and I asked my detachments, I said, ’Do you know what’s happening?’ Because we were wired in and we didn’t know,” Manchin said.
'Miscommunication'
Hatfield blamed the wrong information on a “miscommunication.” The news spread after people overheard cell phone calls, he said. In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs. But what leaked out to anxious family members was that 12 were found alive.
“That information spread like wildfire, because it had come from the command center,” he said.
Three hours later, Hatfield told the families that “there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived,” said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.
“There was no apology. There was no nothing. It was immediately out the door,” said Nick Helms, son of miner Terry Helms.
Chaos broke out in the church and a fight started. About a dozen state troopers and a SWAT team were positioned along the road near the church because police were concerned about violence. A Red Cross volunteer, Tamila Swiger, told CNN people were breaking down and suffering panic attacks.
The explosion was the state’s deadliest mining accident since November 1968, when 78 men — including the uncle of Gov. Joe Manchin — died in an explosion at Consol’s Farmington No. 9 mine in Marion County, an hour’s drive north of here. Nineteen bodies remain entombed in the mountain. It was that disaster that prompted Congress to pass the Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969.
It was also the worst nationwide since a pair of explosions tore through the Jim Walter Resources No. 5 mine in Brookwood, Ala. on Sept. 23, 2001, killing 13.
Miners created barrier
The 12 miners were found together behind a barrier they had constructed to block carbon monoxide gas. They were found near where the company had drilled an air hole early Tuesday in an attempt to contact the men.
The 12 miners had stretched a piece of fabric across an area about 20 feet wide to block out the gas, Hatfield said. The fabric is designed for miners to use as a barrier. Each miner had carried a breathing apparatus and had been able to use it, according to mining officials.
The hole also was used to check air quality in the mine, which revealed high concentrations of carbon monoxide. The odorless, colorless gas can be lethal at high doses. At lower levels, it can cause headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, fatigue and brain damage.
Manchin, who had earlier said that the state believed in miracles, tried to focus on the news that one had survived.
“We’re clinging to one miracle when we were hoping for 13,” he said.

Richard Wolf
01-04-2006, 8:29 PM
It's such a heart wrenching story, what can you say. God Speed to all.

Richard

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 8:53 PM
[Edit:
Sorry everyone.
I have always associated mines with metal. It was not until this afternoon while reading a news story that I noted this is a coal mine.
Frank]

I’ve usually been at least fairly conscientious about recycling, especially of metals which have been mined from the earth. Lately though I have found myself getting sloppy here, usually throwing that small handful of screws nails staples into the trash can.

This tragedy is a reminder to me of the sacrifices some undergo to make these metals available for our use.

I resolve to pay closer attention to what I do with precious resources that pass through my hands.

Frank Chaffee