PDA

View Full Version : What's This?

Dave Richards
01-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Without looking at the following link, can you tell what this is a photograph of?
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/Balestreri11.JPG

Take a gander at the following link. Some pretty amazing woodworking.
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Balestreri.htm
And this link will take you to some other neat woodworking and machining stuff.
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/rooms.htm

Steve Clardy
01-04-2006, 2:04 PM
Thats some pretty neat detailed work!

Tyler Howell
01-04-2006, 2:12 PM
Just what I thought it was:rolleyes:.
Cool sites.

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 6:40 PM
Dave
Frankly, “indexing mechanism for angling the grader blade” was not my first thought.

And, to be true to the SMC’s TOS I must divulge that “indexing mechanism for angling the grader blade” never entered my mind.

If you promise not to laugh at me, … well on reflection I see the hilarity of that request, anyhow, I will tell you what I saw but please at least promise me that you will not tell the other ‘Creekers.

As I have noticed that you have an affinity for waterborne craft, (“if not for the sea…” etc.), my first thought was that the mechanism is to be used in tandem on a boat, the two being hung from level brass tubes opposing one another at 90°, and with a weight attached at their lower quarters, for the purpose of indicating plumb on a boat in heavy seas.

This was my line of thinking because oft times while traveling thru space I forget which direction is up.

Much to my credit, I’m sure you will agree, I was not satisfied with this explanation, so when I scrolled down and clicked the link I was really looking for the correct answer.

This “indexing mechanism for angling the grader blade” exercise has been very grounding for me and I thank you.

Frank

Tyler Howell
01-04-2006, 6:52 PM
Frank,

I could see that:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D
We call those the "Queez-o-meter" designed to drive new sailors wild!!

Tom Donalek
01-04-2006, 7:31 PM
Looks to me like a bandsaw fence being obscured by some oddly shaped wood?

Tom Donalek
01-04-2006, 7:40 PM
But seriously, I can imagine the gears turning and the pistons(?) pumping - astounding!

Reg Mitchell
01-04-2006, 9:31 PM
I was gonna guess a mechanical fart machine until i went to the web site :D

Jim Becker
01-04-2006, 9:33 PM
Ya, know...it's funny but when I first looked at the picture the word "indexing" came into my mind. 'Something about the way that the "wheel" is made with the even rounded "teeth" inside and the obvious use of rounded components of the same radius to engage them.

That really is kewel stuff, too. Thanks for the links!

Dave Richards
01-05-2006, 9:37 AM
Frank, I can see how you'd get a Queez-o-meter out of that. I muust admit I wouldn't have been thinking road grade either.

I wish I had the patience to do something like that. I like to work on a larger scale and keep the viewer at a great distance so they can't see the flaws. ;)

Tyler. Queez-o-meter. That's a good one. :D