PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions...

Mark Cothren
01-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I participate in a program called MIPS (Mentoring In Public Schools). I meet for 30 minutes once a week with a 4th grade student. He typically reads for part of this time and then we just talk the rest of the time. He's a very bright/sharp student. He has no trouble with his studies. He seems to not have any "problems", but just loves to interract. His teacher told me he comes in every day with a story to tell her. She looks forward to his arrival each day.

So I've been meeting with him since the beginning of the school year. I'm thinking about starting some type of project with him and wanted some suggestions on some very simple ww'ing type things we could do. Important information to know is that we meet in the school library, so makin' sawdust ain't an option...;)

I have a few ideas but would like to hear from you folks.

Dennis Peacock
01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Do a bird house. Cut out the parts in your shop/my shop and take the wood to school with you and have him assemble and paint it. Then he can take it and allow birds to use it for a home. I did this with my kids and they all have a bird house on the property and they all get used each year by various birds.

Joe Pelonio
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Dennis has a good idea, and you could go further by having him draw up the design, then you go back to the shop and clean it up and cut it out.

Ed Lang
01-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Bird house is a great idea. I did something like this with our church so I made bird feeders and told the story of feeding the five thousand. Turn a pen and you both put it together. Then he will have a pen for school!

Winindow planter box if you think he would like to start some plants inside this winter....

Make some cars and trucks together.

Mark Cothren
01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Great suggestions - thanks!

Jack Hogoboom
01-04-2006, 4:58 PM
Mark,

There are also a couple of great books out there on woodworking with children. Check on Amazon. I know they have plans for an easy-to-build toolbox, which seems like it would be a good choice, unless he really likes the birds. Maybe you could even outfit it with a couple of shop castoffs. I know I have a few things I could contribute....

Best,

Jack

Michael Stafford
01-04-2006, 5:07 PM
Ditto what Jack said. I used to have those books that were dedicated to woodworking with your kids but passed them on to another parent. There were also a couple of nice projects in Wood magazine in the last few years that were for parents and children to do together.

Mark, the most obvious thing that you can do is turn a pen or two with him. I am sure a 4th grader with reasonable supervision can turn a pen. I promise you he will be a changed youngster. I just read that "making sawdust ain't an option". Well, maybe another time.

You could teach him some computer skills at the library, I assume they have computers. Give him some reading assignments. There are wonderful books out there for kids to enjoy. Harry Potter is a delightful series of books for a child his age and so are the Xanth books by Piers Anthony. Both of these series of books will appeal to a 9/10/11 year old. One thing you can always use is a love of reading.

John Hart
01-04-2006, 6:32 PM
I'd have to echo the Birdhouse. A year ago, I made 60 cedar birdhouse kits for the two 4th grade classes at my daughter's school. I made a little instruction sheet, complete with glue points and trained the teachers ahead of time. The kids loved them....Some got painted, others left bare, and a whole bunch of clear finishes.

Ernie Nyvall
01-04-2006, 8:57 PM
Wow Mark, very commendable.

I like the birdhouse thing too.

John, I'll bet your girls were very proud... a great thing you did.

Ernie

Ron Jones near Indy
01-04-2006, 9:26 PM
Dennis has a good idea, and you could go further by having him draw up the design, then you go back to the shop and clean it up and cut it out.

As a teacher of 6th, 7th, and 8th graders, I really like Joe's idea of having your "mentee" do the design work.:D If you have the capability, put his ideas on paper with CAD and give him the print. You cut out the parts and help him put it together. Kids this age may amaze you with their skill in assembly; or the may shock you with their lack of skill in assembly. It all depends on life experience. You will have one proud kid caring his bird house home! Hopefully you will spark an interest that will carry over to, at least, middle school and high school.