PDA

View Full Version : G1079 Grizzly Double Drum Sander - Howling from drums

Michael Hach
01-02-2021, 6:25 PM
When I bought this, there was no such thing occurring on the test board the previous owner demonstrated. Not knowing any different, when I got it home and setup the drums according to the specs in the manual. When operating the sander, I was only able to move the table up by less than an eighth of a turn. Even then, this ear piercing squeal emanated from the drums. I have 80 and 120 grit papers on the drums. I checked the bearing and replaced two, changed the drum drive belt and ensured the motor was tight. Has anybody encountered this. I'm in the process of sending a video to Grizzly to see if their techs can help me.
THanks for any help on this. My neighbours about 1000' away wondered what was going on??!!

Mikail Khan
01-02-2021, 6:29 PM
Does it squeal only when board is going through?

Mikail Khan
01-02-2021, 6:30 PM
Normally I do several passes at same depth setting. Is that what you are doing?

John TenEyck
01-02-2021, 7:48 PM
An eight of a turn is probably WAY too much. Drum sanders are sanders, not planers. 0.010" is about the maximum you can take off and 0.003 - 0.005" is a far better operating range.

John

Bob Cooper
01-02-2021, 10:29 PM
My big single drum sander will squeal if I try ans take off too much at one time. 50” woodmaster

Alex Zeller
01-02-2021, 10:49 PM
Hopefully the OP can post more information. It sounds like he tried to take off too much and the drum belt is slipping. Most likely just someone trying to learn a new tool.