PDA

View Full Version : Getting tougher to stand for long periods of time

John Terefenko
01-01-2021, 11:44 PM
Boy I find it getting tougher to stand for long periods of time working in my shop these days. I guess age is creaping up. But my knee is what giving me trouble these days. Started thinking because I like to make pens and bottle stoppers and small things like this. I also like to do segmenting within those projects along with casting my resin blanks. Was working at my desk the other day building a couple easy pen blanks for casting in clear resin and thought it would be great to be able to do the same with segmenting pen blanks. Nice to be able to cut woods sitting down with small tablesaw. So now I find myself in search of a used Byrnes mini tablesaw. I know they are a modelers saw but for what I do it is all I would need. Heard they are built with precision and are the best out there. I can still do my scrollsawing because that I can sit for hours.

Has anyone just woke up one day and noticed you need to make changes to your routine in the workshop because you can not do what you use to do. But still love the smell of wood freshly cut and be able to see something built with your own hands.??

Jerry Bruette
01-02-2021, 12:02 AM
Yup. Had surgery on my left thumb 4 weeks ago to rebuild the CMC joint, due to arthritis. Cast comes off Monday, then I start therapy.

Had a hard time doing my job at work let alone anything at home.

Mel Fulks
01-02-2021, 1:12 AM
I had a similar problem years ago. Somebody suggested I go to a shop owned and run by one guy. It had been a fixture
for years ,but I had never heard anything about it before. The guy watched me walk , looked at the shoes I wore into the
place. Then he wrote up notes about what I needed ,think he ordered the shoes and made fine adjustments with stick on
pads. The shoes helped right away. Think I bought and wore out 3 pairs. They fit well ,but we're at least 2 inches longer
than any shoes I had worn before. They were big shoes ,can't remember if someone asked me if I was trying to get a
job with a circus; or if that just came to me. At some point the feet were fine ,and still are. OR the knees are crying too
loudly for me to hear the feet.

Jim Matthews
01-02-2021, 8:23 AM
Yup. Had surgery on my left thumb 4 weeks ago to rebuild the CMC joint, due to arthritis. Cast comes off Monday, then I start therapy.

Had a hard time doing my job at work let alone anything at home.

Hands and feet have the most difficult rehab challenges.

The PT may be arduous, but it's the key to maximal range of motion. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Jim Matthews
01-02-2021, 8:27 AM
Has anyone just woke up one day and noticed you need to make changes to your routine in the workshop because you can not do what you use to do. But still love the smell of wood freshly cut and be able to see something built with your own hands.??

Multiple small knee injuries lead me to get a properly fitted orthotic insert for my shoes and put down dense rubber mats in my shop. Mine were salvaged from a fitness center remodel.

If your shop is directly on a concrete slab, an underlayment like Barricade might help.

http://barricadesubfloor.com/barricade-subfloor.html

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2021, 8:36 AM
Seven and a half years out from bi-lateral (that means I had both of them done at one time) knee replacements. Before surgery, I found walking down hill, and leaning forward when standing to be painful. You might try to raise your working surface to make sure you aren't leaning forward. Places like the Good Feet Store can help with inserts for your shoes.

Lee Schierer
01-02-2021, 8:39 AM
After years of running multiple miles every day, my knees were getting pretty sore. I found that my knee pain was preventing me from doing things I wanted to do and was still capable of doing. I went to a local orthopedic doctor whose specialty is knees and hips and had partial knee replacement done in both knees almost a year apart. I followed the doctor's recovery and rehab recommendations and just a year after the second surgery. Now I can walk as much and as far as I care, work in my shop, go hunting or most anything else with little discomfort.

Larry Frank
01-02-2021, 9:04 AM
I have changed my shop and projects to fit my needs. I have a terrible back and have had lumbar fusion about 20 years ago so standing for long not gonna happen. But I am finding ways of working so I can make sawdust.

Frank Drackman
01-02-2021, 9:07 AM
When my neurologist diagnosed me with muscular dystrophy I asked what I could do to slow the progression. The two things that standout are "the more you move, the more you will be able to move" & "disease never takes a day off."

I have a daily routine that embraces both of the statements. I stretch, do resistance training and walk every day. In 2020 I walked 4,127 miles. The only time that I sit is for meals. I move all day long until my muscles having nothing left to give, then I switch to a walker.

There are many things that I can no longer do the way I did them in the past but I have found new ways to work. I expect that it is the same for many of us.

John K Jordan
01-02-2021, 10:06 AM
I saw a Oneway sit-down lathe once. I thought it might be perfect for me some day.

No knee pain here, but I did have terrible foot pain for years getting so bad it was difficult to walk, let alone stand in the shop. This went away, hopefully for good when I switched to Telic shoes and later, to Oofos which are even better.

My biggest problem in the shop now, at 70, is back pain from standing in one spot at the bandsaw for too long. I think the bandsaw is worse than the lathe since there is less body movement. Staying in motion is the best therapy for me, whether walking, moving hay, chainsawing, or herding peacocks.

I hope you can find the modelers saw. I looked at them once and wish I'd bought one.

JKJ

Thomas L Carpenter
01-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Back pain here too. Standing still is the killer. Don't know if it's arthritis or the discs I blew out about 12 years ago. Using one of those back braces that lifters use has helped a little.

John K Jordan
01-02-2021, 2:35 PM
Back pain here too. Standing still is the killer. Don't know if it's arthritis or the discs I blew out about 12 years ago. Using one of those back braces that lifters use has helped a little.

I've learned to use one of those too while bandsawing for a few hours. Years ago my doctor recommended NOT using one for general use or for long periods since it could cause muscles to weaken.

You also might check with a physical therapist. Years ago I had a LOT of back pain the turned out to be from sitting too much with poor posture (I did software design and computer modeling). Some targeted exercises made a huge difference then. When this covid horror is behind us I might see what the PT says about back pain from standing still too long.

JKJ

John Ziebron
01-02-2021, 3:42 PM
I've had lower back issues like many folks for over 35 years. And have been going to chiropractors for about as many. When I moved to my current location I found a new chiro who worked quite differently. The first thing he did was give me heel inserts for my right shoes. It didn't take long before I realized how much good that has done. I went from averaging 15 visits a year to about 2.

My workshop is a pole barn with a cement floor. I have anti-fatigue mats all over and wear thick soled shoes. But I find more and more now at 72 that standing in one location for a long period of time does cause back pain. And, as John mentioned, it's worse if you aren't moving much during that operation. So I've "trained" myself to just sit down for even a few minutes now and then which helps a lot. But I found the thing that helps the most is to take a break and take my dog for a walk. We both have arthritis in our knees and the walks help a lot with that too.

Jim Becker
01-02-2021, 4:08 PM
I resemble that remark. :)

I have good anti-fatigue matts over most of the floor and wear shoes with inserts that have made a big difference. At this point, standing is easier than getting down low. ;)

Jim Matthews
01-04-2021, 1:19 PM
Staying in motion is the best therapy for me, whether walking, moving hay, chainsawing, or herding peacocks.

JKJ

I'm having difficulty imagining the tool for this...

Jim Matthews
01-04-2021, 1:21 PM
At this point, standing is easier than getting down low. ;)

Not in the reverse order, mind you.

John Terefenko
01-04-2021, 2:03 PM
Thanks and guess I am not alone here. There are some good advice written here so will try a few things. I too have a good chiropractor and he has helped me with my chronic back for many years. I needed him so bad this year. When the pandemic hit and they shut everything down here in march that is when my back decided to really go out of wack and I could not see him for 3 months. He kept telling me to walk and take warm showers and let water hit back to loosedn up and things like this but it was not helping. After I did get to see him he sent me for Xrays and found my 4th and 5 lumar vertabre out quite abit. He worked them back over a two week period and I was like new again. But seems everyday is a challenge with something new hurting.

As I said I have a couple of hobbys that can be relaxing and do not require standing. Scrollsawing and pen making but being I make my own blanks for pen making and other small objects I need to be at a saw and thus now find myself searching for a Byrnes mini tablesaw. Never thought I would want one but boy how life throws you a curve. Hoping to find a used one. too much for new ones. but in the mean time I try still cutting at the large saw. I do have inserts for my shoes. They were recommended by Chiropractor years ago. I guess we just try our best and keep going. Still love the smell of fresh cut wood in the shop.

Erik Loza
01-04-2021, 2:51 PM
I have good anti-fatigue matts over most of the floor and wear shoes with inserts that have made a big difference. At this point, standing is easier than getting down low. ;)

Same here ^^^. I bought some rubber horse stall mats at the local Tractor Supply and have those around the work areas in my garage. Also, swear by aftermarket insoles. In my experience, anything "gel" is just hype. You want molded foam, like Superfeet or Sole. For sitting, I got one of those padded tops for the 5-gallon bucket and use a thick foam gardening pad for kneeling stuff.

When I was in my 20's, setting up stores for Petco, I used to be able to stand/kneel on concrete floors for 10-12 hours, no problem. I'm still in pretty good shape but kneeling on concrete sucks. One of the things I always notice during trade show setups is how much Advil the crew goes through. We're all popping them like candy.

Erik

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2021, 8:22 PM
At this point, standing is easier than getting down low. ;)What he said. I'm not having any issue at all with standing or walking.

Getting up after sitting for more than 30 minutes is something else altogether. :(

Dave Zellers
01-05-2021, 12:45 AM
Getting up after sitting for more than 30 minutes is something else altogether. :(

Yes. And as soon as you feel your brain and leg muscles are in sync, find a bathroom.

Sorry. Just being real.:(

Jim Becker
01-05-2021, 8:54 AM
What he said. I'm not having any issue at all with standing or walking.

Yea, and for "down low" I now keep one of those kneeling pads in my shop....it was originally intended for gardening, but has become essential for "on the floor" work in the shop and house, too. For gardening, I'm just bending over...that's easier than crawling around. LOL

John Terefenko
01-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Yea, and for "down low" I now keep one of those kneeling pads in my shop....it was originally intended for gardening, but has become essential for "on the floor" work in the shop and house, too. For gardening, I'm just bending over...that's easier than crawling around. LOL

If you are talking about the ones with the bars on the sides, I think that was the best invention since sliced bread. I got one this past summer and use it all the time. I carry it in my truck. I need a couple more for around the house. Had to get it the other day when I had to work on the washer. Can not get up and down any more without grabbing onto something. Love this.

Jim Becker
01-05-2021, 2:19 PM
If you are talking about the ones with the bars on the sides, I think that was the best invention since sliced bread. I got one this past summer and use it all the time. I carry it in my truck. I need a couple more for around the house. Had to get it the other day when I had to work on the washer. Can not get up and down any more without grabbing onto something. Love this.

No, I just use the high-density pad. The kneeling thing with the bars turned out to be more cumbersome "for me", even though it provides handles to help folks stand up. I'm glad that extra support is helping you, John!

Bill Dufour
01-05-2021, 3:38 PM
I bought my wife one of those pads with handles at Lowes in the concrete department. The solid plastic back lets it float over holes. The cats love to shred it. bigger heavier duty then the garden version for no more money.
A old retired teacher told me the secret to two bad knees is alieve. Get the generic online or costco for way cheaper
Bill D.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QLT-by-Marshalltown-Red-19-in-x-13-5-in-Foam-Kneeling-Pad/1000102003?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-bdm-_-google-_-lia-_-217-_-masonryaccessories-_-1000102003-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_f3zNKF7gIVydXACh3l5wSEEAQYASAB EgJLdvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Steve Demuth
01-05-2021, 4:15 PM

Yes. My tailbone is shot. I know that sounds odd - what, after all, do humans need tailbones for? But mine is an arthritic disaster zone. Doesn't bother when standing or walking, but 30 minutes sitting and I damned near need an engine hoist to get up again.

John Ziebron
01-05-2021, 4:44 PM
I used to buy all kinds of kneeling pads at local places like the big box stores. But the foam really deteriorates after a few months. And the dense ones that don't aren't much better than kneeling on a pine board. Then a couple of years ago I was at a neighbor's while a contractor was working on their outside A/C unit. I was impressed by the pad he was using and bought one. Didn't take long before I bought another. They come in different sizes and are a bit pricey but the best kneeling pad I've ever found. And for working outside on my lumpy ground they are great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UESK64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Derek Meyer
01-05-2021, 6:53 PM
I have a Dremel table saw that I bought at Ernst Home Center back in the early 90's. It uses a 4" blade. I found accessories for it at Micro-Mark, a model and small tools specialty dealer. They have all kinds of small power tools, including a Microlux (house brand, I believe) tilting arbor table saw and various other tools. They're not cheap but they're pretty good quality.

I bought a 40 tooth carbide blade for my Dremel table saw from them. With that blade installed I was able to crosscut 3/4" red oak with the blade tilted to 45 degrees. It was slow but the cut was as smooth as glass. I got that saw out a couple of years ago for some reason and it still cuts like it did 25 years ago.

https://www.micromark.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrezG4_2F7gIVuT6tBh2s_wVuEAAYASA AEgIluvD_BwE

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2021, 7:11 PM
I have a hip and both knees which bother me when I get up or down. I don't like chairs or stools that use a pneumatic cylinder as the they have been prone to fail. About 4 years ago I bought a non-adjustable metal stool with a hard top for use in my shop. Like someone else indicated, I find often just getting off my hip for less than a minute is a great relief from the pain.

John Terefenko
01-05-2021, 8:06 PM
I have a Dremel table saw that I bought at Ernst Home Center back in the early 90's. It uses a 4" blade. I found accessories for it at Micro-Mark, a model and small tools specialty dealer. They have all kinds of small power tools, including a Microlux (house brand, I believe) tilting arbor table saw and various other tools. They're not cheap but they're pretty good quality.

I bought a 40 tooth carbide blade for my Dremel table saw from them. With that blade installed I was able to crosscut 3/4" red oak with the blade tilted to 45 degrees. It was slow but the cut was as smooth as glass. I got that saw out a couple of years ago for some reason and it still cuts like it did 25 years ago.

https://www.micromark.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrezG4_2F7gIVuT6tBh2s_wVuEAAYASA AEgIluvD_BwE
Thanks will look into this too. Just need something to cut small blocks of wood for small projects.

Rod Sheridan
01-06-2021, 8:05 AM
John, Oneway have a lathe that can convert from normal standing position to a position designed for the operator to be seated. Might be a good fit for you?

Regards, Rod.

Bill Dufour
01-06-2021, 10:35 AM
With all the virtual teaching I see a lot of teachers have switched to standing desks for the computer work station. They seem to think it is more comfortable.
It is pretty easy to replace a office chair gas strut but as I remember there are two possible tapers at the top of the strut. You have to use a pipe wrench to take the seat off and check before ordering. It is similar to a Morse #3 taper. Make sure to wear gloves when you unclip the strut from the base. It will be black oily grease that does not wash off.
Bil lD.

Jim Becker
01-06-2021, 10:41 AM
If I was still working and had not retired, I was seriously considering a standing desk, since I was on the computer pretty much all day long...even at that point over three years ago, a lot of meetings were via video, both for practicality and because it was part of the solution we were selling. Sitting for long periods of time can be worse than standing for long periods of time it seems...

Erik Loza
01-06-2021, 12:41 PM
I started using a standing desk in 2017 and would not want to go back. It's actually a motorized sit/stand. I bought the frame, then DIY'ed the top. The key is to not start out by trying to stand for 8 straight hours. I found that you need to work up to that but now, am to the point that is actually more comfortable for me to be standing than sitting.

Erik