PDA

View Full Version : PC to PC copying

Peter Stahl
01-04-2006, 9:28 AM
I getting a new PC finally (Stealth Gloat) and want to know if I can copy files from one to the other by connecting a cable from one ethernet card to the others? I guess it would be networking without a router. Can it be done this way? I have a router now but that's going with my son when he comes for the PC. I ordered a PC from Dell and it won't be here until next week.

thanks, Pete

Ralph Barhorst
01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Pete,

Look at this web-site. It might help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/smallbiz/products/howto/transfernewpc.mspx

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
I getting a new PC finally (Stealth Gloat) and want to know if I can copy files from one to the other by connecting a cable from one ethernet card to the others? I guess it would be networking without a router. Can it be done this way?Yup: all you need is a crossover cable, sort of the ethernet equivalent of a null modem. Check with any decent computer store (i.e. not Best Buy)...looks like Radio Shack has them: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102423&cp=2032061.2032360&cp=2032061&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032360&categoryId=2032360&kwCatId=2032061&kw=cables&parentPage=search
It's $10, available in-store, catalog number 278-2011 if that link doesn't work.

And you'll need to set the IP address and mask by hand on both machines since neither will work as a DHCP server.

(Never thought I'd see the day that "Radio Shack" and "decent computer store" would show up in the same sentence...live and learn.)

Chuck Wintle
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I getting a new PC finally (Stealth Gloat) and want to know if I can copy files from one to the other by connecting a cable from one ethernet card to the others? I guess it would be networking without a router. Can it be done this way? I have a router now but that's going with my son when he comes for the PC. I ordered a PC from Dell and it won't be here until next week.

thanks, Pete
or you could burn your files to a cd or dvd and then copy them over.

Boyd Gathwright
01-04-2006, 11:59 AM
.... So noted and thanks :).

Jason Roehl
01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
...or pull the HD from the old and install it in the new, then copy...

Tony Falotico
01-04-2006, 11:46 PM
...or pull the HD from the old and install it in the new, then copy...

That's what I did, install the old HD as a slave on the new system and copy away. When done .. put it back into the old system.

Peter Stahl
01-05-2006, 8:16 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions I'll give them a try. The reason I was thinking a network setup becauce the new PC will have a SATA drive and the old one a IDE drive. Just thought a cable would be easier. I look at what it has inside when I get it. May have a extra IDE cable inside. Copying using a disk is a pain.

thanks again!

Art Mulder
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Peter,

Personally, I would buy a new router. A router is cheap enough, and easy to use. Much easier, IMHO, than all that monkeying around with a crossover cable and manual network settings. There is something to be said for "it just works".

But most of all... I would never connect my home computer to the internet (High Speed cable modem, dsl, or whatnot) without the firewall that all decent home routers have built in. And especially not a Windows PC.

(This is based on the assumption that you have a cable modem or dsl modem at home. If you're just using dial-up, then disregard. :-)

Lee DeRaud
01-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions I'll give them a try. The reason I was thinking a network setup becauce the new PC will have a SATA drive and the old one a IDE drive. Just thought a cable would be easier. I look at what it has inside when I get it. May have a extra IDE cable inside.That will probably work: the DVD/CD drives still use IDE, so worst case, you may just have to buy a cheap IDE cable. Actually bolting the old drive in and getting the cable routed may be a pain, but if you're just hooking it up as a temporary expedient you can just leave it loose.

But the ethernet connection is way easier.

Frankie Hunt
01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I think the router is a "must have" item for security reasons.

I would move the data via burning a CD/DVD because: you will have a known good backup of your files for disaster recovery reasons.

Frankie

Gregg Mason
01-06-2006, 1:35 AM
I usually go with the install the old drive in the new PC route. The reason I do this is. I create a folder called OLD Harddrive, or something like that, then copy the entire contents(except maybe the WINNT folder) of the old drive into this folder. With the big drives you get these days, I don't worry to much about the space it takes. This way there's no chance of you forgetting to copy a file you might need later. Then you can either remocve the drive, or leave it in the new PC if you don't need it for the old PC.

Gregg