PDA

View Full Version : First Peppermill

Chris Fairbanks
01-04-2006, 4:06 AM
I finally got back into turning after a 14 year break, I fell in love with it in High School but have been to busy since then. I picked up a Jet 1442 a few months back and have been playing with a few bowls and other things. This is my first attempt at a peppermill. I worked on this with a friend as a gift for xmas. It turned out pretty decent for our first attempt. It is finished with 4 coats of urethane. Do you thing that is enough to stand up to normal usage in a kitchen? Thanks Chris

John Hart
01-04-2006, 7:43 AM
That is Wild! Very cool Chris! I would think that the finish would hold up just fine...but I'm no expert. But it's definitely a looker!!

Dick Parr
01-04-2006, 7:52 AM
Great looking mill Chris, I like the laminations. Great Job.:)

Chris Barton
01-04-2006, 8:01 AM
A pepper mill is on my short list and you did a great job on this one. I really like the form and colors.

Lars Thomas
01-04-2006, 9:05 AM
I want to make a few pepper mills, but can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use? Were the instructions complete? Can you offer some more insight on how it was constructed?

Oh, and welcome to the creek!

Jason Christenson
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use?

Lars,
I made my first pepper mill this year as a Christmas present. The drilling was actually the part that I had the least problem with, once I located all the right drill bits. If you have a drill press and a drill press vise to hold your blank in place it's easy. The kit that I used was from Pen State and the instructions were very clear.

Jason

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 3:21 PM
Hi Chris,
Your pepper mill is outstanding. One of my favorite items to turn and construct. Four coats of urethane will be fine, I generally apply five and found any more does not enhance or protect the mills any further.
I see, or I think I see you have used the CrushGrind, if so, how do you like it?

Lars, if you go to the search block and input pepper mills - grinders - pepper and the such, I am sure you will find all the information one would wish on the subject.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2006, 3:58 PM
Very cool pepper mill. Great work and color.

Ernie Nyvall
01-04-2006, 7:04 PM
Very nice job Chris. I like the design and the wood choices.

Ernie

Keith Christopher
01-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Love the pepper mill ! so many turn the same ole' same ole', VERY unique ! It looks AWESOME and the use of the laminations rock !

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I will hate see how great your work is when you're not JUST PLAYIN' AROUND! Great lookin'

Bruce

Chris Fairbanks
01-05-2006, 2:20 AM
Lars, I followed the instructions for the Crushgrind Mechanism that I got from Brian at All Things Pepper. They were enough for me to figure it out but while doing some searching the other night I found very good instructions on the Australian Crushgrind site at http://www.crushgrind.com.au/instructions.php The main difference that I like in these instructions (besides being a lot easier to read) is to drill the through hole from both sides of the body, as I was off by about 1/32nd from some deflections from trying to drill through the 10" body. Not a big deal but would rather have it perfect. I'll do that for the second one I am starting to work on right now.

I want to make a few pepper mills, but can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use? Were the instructions complete? Can you offer some more insight on how it was constructed?

Oh, and welcome to the creek!

Chris Fairbanks
01-05-2006, 2:26 AM
The Crushgrind Mechanisms are so much higher quality than the other ones out there. The quality of the grind and how smooth they are in my opinion makes them worth the extra $5 each. My only complaint is that it seems like everyone only stocks the Crushgrind Shaft Mechanism that goes up to 12" I would like to create some bigger peppermills than this, but it sounds like it would require a minimum order of 100 mechanism to get them at this time. If anyone has had luck getting a hold of the 500mm ones please let me know as I would love to get my hands on some of them. Thanks!

Hi Chris,
Your pepper mill is outstanding. One of my favorite items to turn and construct. Four coats of urethane will be fine, I generally apply five and found any more does not enhance or protect the mills any further.
I see, or I think I see you have used the CrushGrind, if so, how do you like it?

Lars, if you go to the search block and input pepper mills - grinders - pepper and the such, I am sure you will find all the information one would wish on the subject.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bill Kay
01-05-2006, 7:50 AM
Hi Chris, In the past we used to either make our own drive shafts or extensions if the kits were not available in the lengths needed. Many of the kits use square stock that is around 3/16. Measure the drive and grab some barstock at the local hardware or hobby shop. If the drive shaft is not replaceable use a section of square tube as a coupler, Here is a quick drawing. Hope it helps.

Joe Horne
01-05-2006, 7:58 AM
That's nice work Chris. I like the fact that you used a lamination, and a different design that what is the "norm" for mills. Very innovative indeed.

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 8:38 AM
Well I think its purty, but then ya'll have all ready figured out I like cutting and gluing!! LOL

I've been using kits from chef specialties, you can buy individual parts and they have kits up to 24 inches. I have one thats been on our table for 2 years now with no complaints.

Chef Specialties (https://chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18?osCsid=7e0016494a6e64db534205ec84c7e2dc)

OUCH, I just looked at the prices, last time I ordered kits they where a whole lot cheaper. 24 inch kits used to be around$10.

Greg Savage
01-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Well I think its purty, but then ya'll have all ready figured out I like cutting and gluing!! LOL

I've been using kits from chef specialties, you can buy individual parts and they have kits up to 24 inches. I have one thats been on our table for 2 years now with no complaints.

Chef Specialties (https://chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18?osCsid=7e0016494a6e64db534205ec84c7e2dc)

OUCH, I just looked at the prices, last time I ordered kits they where a whole lot cheaper. 24 inch kits used to be around$10.

Hello all......... I just joined this forum yesterday and already there is a topic that I can chime in on.

I was just on the phone with Chef Specialties yesterday, inquiring about the prices. I was told that there was a complaint filed by either a Woodcraft customer or Woodcraft itself about the wholesale pricing available off of the Chef Specialties web site. The person I talked to on the phone said that I should have received an e-mail or letter discussing the price structures. Returning Chef Specialties customers should all have been given a discount code for online ordering. I don't think that it would be right for me to give the code on the forum, but if you're interested I would call Chef Specialties at 1-800-440-2433 and see if you qualify for the discounts.

Woodcraft tends to be very high-priced on most every item they stock. The 14 inch pepper mill mechanism was around $17.50. Even at the list price of $13.20 on the Chef Specialties web site, it makes more sense to buy it from the manufacturer. But, if you qualify for the 50% discount, $6.60 looks more than reasonable for a 14 inch mechanism.

Greg

John Hart
01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello all......... I just joined this forum yesterday and already there is a topic that I can chime in on.....

Nice Chime Greg. Welcome to the Creek! We're Humble and Lovable....just like UnderDog.....er, I mean, Shoeshine Boy.:o

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 1:16 PM
Very very nice mill. I like the unique and original design.:) :)

Bill Stevener
01-05-2006, 6:10 PM
Hi Chris,
The reason I asked how you like the CrushGrind is I am always curious as to others views. I to believe the mechanisms to be the best available today.
I began using the CrushGrind mechanism about two years ago. Long before they were available to the public on the open market in the US. I believe I may have been one of the first pepper mill turners in the US to use the mechanism. They have only recently been released for individual use. A gentleman in the UK was my supplier, his source was from a gentleman in Germany.
After a number of emails with CrushGrind on my part, as well as, the same on the part of Brian, now the US supplier for CrushGrind, the company finally released the mechanisms for individual use.
Just some history on how they evolved in this country.

As far as getting the longer shafts, well, that's a tough grind.:D
I will say that I have had a section of the shaft in a sea salt brine solution for two years and no sign of corrosion is evident at this time.
If you wish to make a taller mill, cut the drive shaft in half and add a section of key stock in the center with couplings. However it must be noted that the mill will only be acceptable for pepper corns, unless you use stainless steel. It is rare that one sees a salt mill over 12".

If you have a strong desire to turn taller mills, you may wish to contact Brian (same name) in the UK. A better price can be had, however that also depends on the pound.

http://members.aol.com/constablecrafts/fitzweb/banner.htm

If you wish a contact for CrushGrind, they are located in Denmark. The owner and presidents name is Ken Muff Lassen. The product managers name is Lone Ogaard. Really great folks to chat with.

http://www.crushgrind.com/?id=424

Maybe if enough mill turners bump Ken enough, the longer shafts may become available at a smaller count, as well as, cheaper.

If you wish to market your mills, contact Lone and ask for permission to use there logo. They may wish to see your mills.

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris Fairbanks
01-06-2006, 3:32 AM
Bill, I wonder if there is enough support here at SMC for Brian at All Things Pepper to place an order for 100 of the 500mm crushgrinds and just stock them. I know I would be game for 15-20 of them. Anyone else interested and I'll email Brian??

As far as getting the longer shafts, well, that's a tough grind.:D
I will say that I have had a section of the shaft in a sea salt brine solution for two years and no sign of corrosion is evident at this time.
If you wish to make a taller mill, cut the drive shaft in half and add a section of key stock in the center with couplings. However it must be noted that the mill will only be acceptable for pepper corns, unless you use stainless steel. It is rare that one sees a salt mill over 12".

If you have a strong desire to turn taller mills, you may wish to contact Brian (same name) in the UK. A better price can be had, however that also depends on the pound.

http://members.aol.com/constablecrafts/fitzweb/banner.htm

If you wish a contact for CrushGrind, they are located in Denmark. The owner and presidents name is Ken Muff Lassen. The product managers name is Lone Ogaard. Really great folks to chat with.

http://www.crushgrind.com/?id=424

Maybe if enough mill turners bump Ken enough, the longer shafts may become available at a smaller count, as well as, cheaper.

If you wish to market your mills, contact Lone and ask for permission to use there logo. They may wish to see your mills.

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Stevener
01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Bill, I wonder if there is enough support here at SMC for Brian at All Things Pepper to place an order for 100 of the 500mm crushgrinds and just stock them. I know I would be game for 15-20 of them. Anyone else interested and I'll email Brian??

Chris,
From my observations so far with the SMC group, as well as other areas, any chances of getting a supporting body to place an order for 100, 500mm CrushGrinds, doesnt look very promising at this time. However, there are a lot more lurkers than those that post.

Generally, 12" pepper mills are about the tallest mills sold to the general public, 10" being some what the standard. At times a request is maid for a mill in the 24" range, from some of the finer eating establishments.

If an occasional request is maid for a tall mill, it is much more cost effective to add a section of drive shaft to what is on hand. If you have a large outlet for your mills and an order for 20 to 25 that would exceed 12" I would then suggest that you place an order for the 100 500mm mechanisms. You can always cut the others back, to suit a smaller size, with out any great loss.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Randy Meijer
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Chris: Thanks for the link to the Australian CG site. That's "killer" information !! But I do have a question about those darn "TABS." Did you cut yours off and press in or glue the grinder or did you turn a groove to accept the tabs. The drawing in the CG link shows a groove for the tabs; but there is no mention in the instructions about creating that groove??