PDA

View Full Version : Target USH3000 Water Borne Shellac

Paul F Franklin
12-29-2020, 3:54 PM
Anybody using it? Didn't find much about it here via search.

For finishing cherry, I've been using a light coat or two of 1.5 LB garnet shellac followed by 3 or more coats of GF High Performance Satin. I'm perfectly happy with the results.

But I'd sure like to avoid having to take all my stuff from my basement shop to the garage to shoot the shellac, especially in the winter. And especially for the desks I'm working on now.

The USH3000 is amber, not garnet, but close enough; I just use the shellac to warm the cherry and pop the grain a bit. I wonder if USH3000 topcoated with EM2000 (+ cross linker) would give me similar results but with all water borne products?

Any issues/tips/warnings about the USH3000?

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 9:17 PM
I have not personally tried it to-date, but I suspect it's a good product.

roger wiegand
12-30-2020, 8:08 AM
I haven't used it. I'd suggest talking with Jeff at Target with any questions. I believe any of those finishes can be tinted with TransTint type dyes to achieve whatever color you like.

Prashun Patel
12-30-2020, 8:22 AM
Have not used the waterborne shellac, but I do like the Target Coatings EM1000 sealer. I have been using it under their 8000 conversion varnish and 6000 lacquer.

What I really like about the 1000 is that it's pretty much water clear in the can. So you can tint it to whatever color you want. In your case, I'd get a couple bottles of Transtint "Amber Additive" and one of their reds and you could make any shade of shellac you want.

In fact...you could just dye the wood by hand. That works fine too...

Paul F Franklin
12-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Well, since Target is having a sale right now (1 more day), I ordered a quart of the WB shellac, a quart of EM2000, some cross linker and some retarder to experiment with. I already have a small assortment of transtint dyes and a quart of EM1000 around, so plenty to play with. Thanks all!

Jim Becker
12-30-2020, 11:23 AM
That's a good plan, Paul. I'll be interested in your comments about the WB Shellac for sure. I know you'll like the EM2000...I just got another gallon of that for some projects a friend wants me to spray in the coming months.