PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Spindle Sanders

Joe Gervasio
12-29-2020, 2:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I trying to decide on which OSS to purchase
I hear poor things about Delta but I was raised to believe Delta is the best
The Jet seems to have mixed reviews primarily positive
I have no experience with Grizzly machines or the quality but I do like the combination Spindle/Drum

Can you guys share your thoughts on the following 3 items or suggest something? Thank You in advance

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-1-2-HP-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander-with-Tilt-Table-31-483/205112106
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-1-2-HP-5-5-in-Benchtop-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander-with-Spindle-Assortment-110-Volt-JBOS-5-708404/100375603
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grizzly-Industrial-10-Amp-12-in-Corded-Oscillating-Spindle-Disc-Sander-G0529/310718952

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 2:32 PM
The Delta of today is not the Delta of yesterday...not even the "same company", per se....

While I like my old Delta OSS with the cast iron top, if I were buying one today, I'd certainly opt for one that has both spindle and belt for more opportunities and flexible use. I have no familiarity with the three units you ask about, unfortunately.

Zachary Hoyt
12-29-2020, 2:35 PM
I will watch this thread with interest. I bought a secondhand Craftsman OSS off eBay about 10 years ago and have used it almost every day since then, to sand wood and brass. I am amazed that it's still going, but someday it'll need to be replaced and I'd like to know what to look for when the time comes.

Lisa Starr
12-29-2020, 2:40 PM
I can't comment on the three sanders you linked. But, I can tell you I have the Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander, and am very happy with it. Dust collection is lacking, but that is probably the norm for most less expensive models/brands. I chose to purchase from Home Depot to get the Life-Time Warranty.

Dick Mahany
12-29-2020, 2:42 PM
I had the Jet JBOS5 for many years and it was an excellent benchtop machine. I sold it when I down sized and am now wanting to buy another one. I had thought about a combo belt/spindle unit, but I have a bench mount for my belt sander, so I'll likely buy the Jet again. I liked the tilting table feature and have seen that some of the less expensive machines have stationary tables. The Jet also has an induction motor and is very quiet.

Bruce Page
12-29-2020, 2:59 PM
My Delta BOSS has been trouble free but is limited in it's capabilities. If I were shopping for a bench top SS today I'd likely go with the Jet.

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2020, 3:24 PM
My Delta BOSS has been trouble free but is limited in it's capabilities.

I have the same machine, and good experience, as Bruce.

No experience with the 3 you link to, but I think I'd stay away from new Delta. As Jim said - Delta today isnt yesterday's Delta. I like JET machines a lot. But if I were buy today, I'd get the RIGID sander Lisa recommended. I have been eyeballing one of those for a year. They have a pretty good reputation as a light/medium use machine. [Edit: I originally said "light/heavy" use. That was a mistype - I meant light/medium use.]

Paul F Franklin
12-29-2020, 3:35 PM
My experience with the Rigid belt/spindle sander echoes Lisa's. I doubt it would hold up to all day/every day use in a production shop, but for my use it's been great. I probably use the belt more often than the spindle. I've even used it to thickness sand parts for small projects by clamping on a fence.

Joe Gervasio
12-29-2020, 3:41 PM
All Thank You for the feedback

The Ridgid seems like a nice combo Belt/Spindle but given the contour work I do all-day I would prefer something a little more substantial.
Part of me is leaning towards the Grizzly but I just dont have any experience with that brand

Bill Carey
12-29-2020, 3:45 PM
I can't comment on the three sanders you linked. But, I can tell you I have the Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander, and am very happy with it. Dust collection is lacking, but that is probably the norm for most less expensive models/brands. I chose to purchase from Home Depot to get the Life-Time Warranty.

^ second on the Rigid. It's a nice machine.

Clark Hussey
12-29-2020, 3:46 PM
All Thank You for the feedback

The Ridgid seems like a nice combo Belt/Spindle but given the contour work I do all-day I would prefer something a little more substantial.
Part of me is leaning towards the Grizzly but I just dont have any experience with that brand

I have the ridgid. I’m with the others good machine.. I also have some grizzly sanders ( not their spindle). Overall I feel grizzly makes good tools.

Robert Hayward
12-29-2020, 4:14 PM
I had the Jet spindle sander for a few years and now own a Grizzly G1071. The Jet lacked a full range of spindle sizes for what I wanted to do. Also the Jet spindles were not round. This caused the wood to "bounce" as it hit the high spots on the spindles. Not all of the spindles, but most of them. The G1071 comes with ten spindle sizes and the ones I got run true.

Doug Dawson
12-29-2020, 4:48 PM
I had the Jet spindle sander for a few years and now own a Grizzly G1071. The Jet lacked a full range of spindle sizes for what I wanted to do. Also the Jet spindles were not round. This caused the wood to "bounce" as it hit the high spots on the spindles. Not all of the spindles, but most of them. The G1071 comes with ten spindle sizes and the ones I got run true.

I haven’t heard good things about the G1071 dust collection. I’m still looking for an OSC, preferably stationary, that is good on that count. Til then...

Brian Runau
12-29-2020, 4:58 PM
I brought one from harbor freight. I don't use it a lot, but it works fine when I need it.

George Waldner
12-29-2020, 5:34 PM
I bought a Wen for $100 a few years ago and it has worked fine although I dont use it much. I dont know what the current price is on one.

Dave Sabo
12-29-2020, 6:09 PM
Might keep an eye out for a Model 140 Clayton spindle sander. They were good benchtop sanders back in the day.

You can search here for several threads on them.

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 9:07 PM
A

I can't comment on that specific tool, but the one Grizzly tool I've owned was a heavy combo sander...it was a beast and an excellent tool. It didn't get a lot of use so I recently sold it to another 'Creeker and I'm sure he's making it work hard. No worries with the brand, IMHO. Just make sure the tool configuration will benefit you.

Bernie Kopfer
12-29-2020, 11:38 PM

I have the same problem with the Jet. The larger spindles are not round and the bouncing can be Very annoying. Recommend that whatever spindle sander you buy set it up immediately and make sure all the spindles run true or you will be forever irritated when you use it. Like I am.

glenn bradley
12-30-2020, 12:59 AM
I've been running a Grizzly G0529 for about 8 years and have been quite happy with it. You will find some misguided reviews complaining that a safety (shear-part) gear in the transmission is plastic. To help someone out I checked mine a couple weeks ago, it looks brand new. If you cause this part to fail you have saved expensive damage to the transmission that would have occurred had the gear not stripped. BTW, stop doing whatever that was because you are abusing the machine ;-) The drums are quick and easy to change, take stock sleeve sizes, the disc is smooth and reliable for parts forming, and plenty aggressive for rapid stock removal if that is what you require. The dust collection is pretty good on both of these hard to collect from stations.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2020, 1:20 AM
Like Glenn, I have been using a G0529 for several years with no problems. I stole a tip from Glenn and made a magnetic dust fence for my to help with dust collection.

Doug Dawson
12-30-2020, 3:36 AM
I've been running a Grizzly G0529 for about 8 years and have been quite happy with it. You will find some misguided reviews complaining that a safety (shear-part) gear in the transmission is plastic. To help someone out I checked mine a couple weeks ago, it looks brand new. If you cause this part to fail you have saved expensive damage to the transmission that would have occurred had the gear not stripped. BTW, stop doing whatever that was because you are abusing the machine ;-) The drums are quick and easy to change, take stock sleeve sizes, the disc is smooth and reliable for parts forming, and plenty aggressive for rapid stock removal if that is what you require. The dust collection is pretty good on both of these hard to collect from stations.

Hmm. Will that easily fit a 50mm Festool hose?

Lisa Starr
12-30-2020, 4:54 AM
Again, no experience with the Grizzly spindle sander, but I do have experience with Grizzly. I have or did have 15" 4-post planer, G1023 table saw and a variety of smaller Grizzly tools. In all cases, they performed well and are good machines. Their customer service for repair parts/warranty was outstanding when I had a problem with my 2nd 18 gauge nailer.

Alex Zeller
12-30-2020, 7:05 AM
I also have a Grizzly g1071 that has been flawless. The dust collection would be the exception except I have a short section of 4" exhaust tube from a truck (only a couple bucks from a parts store) connected to my DC. I bought a couple rare earth magnets and use them to hold it to the table. Of course that's not going to work for one with an aluminum top but it wouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to do it. I'm not sure about the benchtop models but each time i use it it amazes me just how quiet it is. That being said if you get a bench top model my suggestion would be to make a cabinet for it. You will be amazed at just how much room will be taken up by all the sanding tubes. Just having different grits in their own location is a big help.

I will say this, the sanding tubes that came with the G1071 seam slightly too small. I've been buying replacements from Klingspor and they slide on and off so much easier. I think Klingspor even has a package deal for the certain benchtop sanders that has each grit in each diameter.

Alan Lightstone
12-30-2020, 8:43 AM
I like my Jet, but no question the dust collection is poor. Interesting that I never noticed the larger spindles not being round. Maybe mine were built better, or I just never noticed.

That being said, if I had to do it over again, I think I'd purchase a combo unit.

Dave VanDewerker
12-30-2020, 1:06 PM
I have the Jet JBOS-5 OSS that replaced a Ryobi OSS. The Ryobi still worked well but was screaming load and tiring to use. The Jet works well, but as other have stated the dust collection is lacking. I fixed that easily by fabricating a 4" dust port for it (several youtube videos on how to do this). I like the Jet and I got a good deal on it, if I had the extra money I may have went with the Grizzly. Dual purpose tools are always better in my shop that is very limited on space.

Michael Drew
12-30-2020, 1:18 PM
I bought the Rigid a few weeks ago. I liked the idea of both spindle and belt. Used it for the first time yesterday. It worked well. I think it's going to come in handy. Dust collection is not great, but better than expected.

Mike Shields
12-30-2020, 1:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I trying to decide on which OSS to purchase

I've got the Jet OSS and use it way less than I thought. If you're anywhere near Denver...

Joe Gervasio
12-30-2020, 3:44 PM
All,

Once again Thank You for all the assistance I truly appreciate it. I will be purchasing the Grizzly based on the user feedback with this machine and its a really nice combo