PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Router Base

Bernie Harris
12-29-2020, 1:48 PM
Hi, This is my first post though I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed the conversation. I have a, possibly stupid, question. Has anyone tried a cast iron router sub base ? I could make one fairly easily on the mill from round stock and flatten it with the surface grinder. It would be heavier than usual of course but could take threaded holes for guides and maybe the extra weight equates with stability.

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 2:36 PM
Welcome to the posting side of SMC...'hope you have enjoyed the site and I encourage you to become a Contributor to unlock more features including photos, private messages and the free classifieds.

Toward your question, if you mean cast iron for hand-held use, the weight would certainly lower the center of gravity, but the additional thickness likely required as well as the weight might make it cumbersome. I love having a cast iron router table top in my shop, but I prefer my hand-held routing to be on the lighter weight end and also using the best router for a particular operation including employing a fixed base unit when the stability of a lower center of gravity is desirable and plunging isn't required.