PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl

Jeff Heil
12-28-2020, 4:49 PM
Got a cherry burl when a friend was cutting firewood. Let it dry in my workshop and sliced it open and into 1” thick or so pieces. Whole burl was about 18” x 20”. Trying to think of ways to use it to show off the awesome figure. Make a small table top and pour epoxy so these pieces are Islands in the epoxy top? What other ideas do you have to use this unique wood?

John K Jordan
12-28-2020, 5:47 PM
I use such burls for woodturning. I usually leave them a little thicker, though. But that thickness can make incredible pens and other small things.

A friend resaws burl and uses it for inlays. Another guy I know makes knife scales. Some people resaw into veneer and make boxes and such. Goes a long way like that.

JKJ

Zachary Hoyt
12-28-2020, 6:35 PM
I use cherry burl slices for peghead overlays on cherry guitars and banjos and such.

Tom Bender
12-29-2020, 8:24 AM
I used a nice burled slab to hold up the wall of my shop for a few decades, then found someone who thought he wanted it.

Jon Grider
12-29-2020, 9:53 AM
I used a nice burled slab to hold up the wall of my shop for a few decades, then found someone who thought he wanted it.

Read it twice Tom, lol wish I'd been the guy who thought he wanted it.

John K Jordan
12-29-2020, 9:55 AM

Ha! I have cherry and apple burls going to the burn pile. They are small. I can always find someone to take large burls.

I cut up some large and medium-sized burls and made turning blanks and pen blanks to give away but I'm too short on time to cut up any more.

JKJ

Ron Citerone
12-29-2020, 11:49 AM

OMG, I just choked on my bagel!