PDA

View Full Version : More 'bored' stuff

Eugene Dixon
12-28-2020, 1:59 PM
Turned these recently. Lot of chipping with the laminates. Redheart...well...keep your tools sharp. C&C welcomed.

Hope to start 'finishing' the new shop later next month depending on how much work we decide to do on the new house. It will be good to get back on the Robust.

Robert Hayward
12-28-2020, 4:02 PM
They look good! I know what you mean about the laminated stuff chipping. I had six laminated pen blanks. Looked like they may have been made from Spectraply. Cut on a bias like your blanks. I got one good pen out of the six blanks. Nothing I tried would stop the chipping. I guess I could have used a 60g gouge and shaped the blanks.:rolleyes:

John K Jordan
12-28-2020, 5:19 PM
They look good! I know what you mean about the laminated stuff chipping. I had six laminated pen blanks. Looked like they may have been made from Spectraply. Cut on a bias like your blanks. I got one good pen out of the six blanks. Nothing I tried would stop the chipping. I guess I could have used a 60g gouge and shaped the blanks.:rolleyes:

What helped when I turned spectra ply is turn down to close to final size, apply either thin CA or sander sealer, then make a very fine finish cut. Repeat as needed. Small finger scrapers (properly sharpened) are also good for the final passes on anything that chips. Here's one in use:

Used sander sealer and a small rounded scraper on these:

JKJ

Eugene Dixon
12-28-2020, 7:56 PM

Yep, started with four. Three made it to the (photo)finish.

Robert Hayward
12-29-2020, 1:23 PM
What helped when I turned spectra ply is turn down to close to final size, apply either thin CA or sander sealer, then make a very fine finish cut. Repeat as needed. Small finger scrapers (properly sharpened) are also good for the final passes on anything that chips. Here's one in use:

Used sander sealer and a small rounded scraper on these:

JKJ

Thanks for that information. I realize I said chipping but splintering is a better description. Chunks would break off. Sometimes down to the brass tube. My pen blanks looked like Spectraply but most likely were a cheap Chinese imitation. Should have put them through the stabilizing/Cactus Juice process before using them.