PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2020, 11:10 AM
28 Dec 2020

Greetings,
I hope that this finds each of you well and staying warm. I spent some time this past week in replacing the bottom seals on the garage doors in my shop as well as getting a bit more work done on the dining table benches. I find it frustrating that the older I get the slower I work. :)

We had a decent Christmas this year and family scattered across the globe and people not meeting up because of covid. I've been doing a bit more of bass guitar playing and have finally survived the Christmas Music season with a hectic schedule of playing for 2 different locations. Now I can focus more on the bench project to get it done and out the door.

I'm still learning how to best use my little hobby grade CNC and I'm enjoying the learning process but I'm so ready for a CNC that I don't have to keep tweaking with or wondering what's going to go wrong with my cut/project now. ;)
Live and learn as I always say! :D

That's it for me....so what did YOU do this past Christmas week?

Best of weeks to you all!!!

Ron Selzer
12-28-2020, 11:37 AM
28 Dec 2020

............ I find it frustrating that the older I get the slower I work. :)

Ya got that right. I thought I slowed down in my 50's, now I really know that I have slowed down, interested in what the 70's and 80's bring
Ron

Lisa Starr
12-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Dennis & Ron, me too on that slower thing. I turned 60 a few days ago, but slowness came with the cancer treatments.

With the holidays basically over, I'm ramping up to begin the restoration woodwork in the 2nd floor of our home. The baseboards and window casings where basically destroyed by the various owners thru the years, so I've been milling matching pieces and replacing throughout the house. The doors, which are original to the house are beaded board and batten style. The first of three is on the sawhorses and I've begun stripping 180 years worth of paint. Of course, there is lead paint, so I do it with a supplied air respirator.

Justin Rapp
12-28-2020, 3:21 PM
This week I built my C-flux 3 and move things around / organizing the shop a bit to get the new machine in it's place. This morning I have everything measured out and ordered all my ductwork which is supposed to all be delivered on Wednesday morning!!!!

Charles Taylor
12-28-2020, 5:02 PM
With my wife feeling better a few days after her COVID-19 diagnosis last weekend, we decided to go forward with a small Christmas dinner that included her father, who had had the virus before and during Thanksgiving. I smoked a rib roast which we enjoyed as part of a simplified menu for our scaled-down gathering.

In the workshop I made more progress on my kitchen buffet project. My wife says it's a hutch, since it will have one, rather than a buffet. She's probably right. Whatever it is, my efforts currently are on the buffet piece. I fine-tuned the tenons and bridle joints, then made all of the grooves in the rails for panels on the sides and back, and for holding a bottom shelf and attaching the top. I'm surprised I made as few mistakes as I did locating the grooves: some grooves were centered, some were offset, some were here, some were there. Even more surprising, and happily so, was that the two goofs I did commit were on faces that won't show.

Jim Becker
12-28-2020, 7:42 PM
I do understand the "slowing down" thing, Dennis. That, combined with a little motivation deficit hasn't had me getting a whole lot done lately. 'Glad you had a nice Christmas and wishing you (and everyone else) a happy and healthy (!) New Year!

I did execute on two "woodworking" projects in the last week One was a cat scratching ramp for our older daughter who is soon to get a cat to live with her in her apartment and the second was to replace my neighbor's mailbox...a plow tool the old, decrepit one out in last week's storm. She's a first responder and also owns and runs a horse farm, so since I had the time, it was something I decided to take on. The cat ramp went under the tree. The mailbox, well...went down by the road. :)

448022. 448023

I also started on a new drill press table...the design was completed and ready to cut on the CNC. The physical work started today on that. More later.

Paul F Franklin
12-28-2020, 8:56 PM
I didn't get a whole lot of time in the shop last week, but I did get all the pieces for the desk bases marked out and cut to rough size, and then after they sat for a few days I re-jointed a face and an edge so now they are ready for final thicknessing, ripping to final width, and crosscutting to final length. Then on to joinery.

Jim Fox
01-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Yesterday I spent all day building a new drill storage unit. You can see the old on the right. I messed up a dimension on the right one and the slots are two close together.......since I like to keep some of those belt clips on my drills. Plus the drawer became more of a hassle being right on top of the horizontal surface. Something was always in the way.

I also managed to replace, a few days earlier, the extension wing of my table saw.

Jim Becker
01-01-2021, 10:12 AM
That was productive and great additions to your shop, Jim.

Frederick Skelly
01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
I finished up my "bathroom valet" and am looking for the next small project. LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288320-Bathroom-valet)
Happy New Year!