PDA

View Full Version : Best 24” bandsaw for industrial setting?

Jack Hovanec
12-28-2020, 8:59 AM
Anyone here own any of these saws or have any gripes/good things to say about them? I have an old 36” crescent which is a well built machine but has a multitude of issues that aren’t worth it to me to fix. Looking at these smaller 24”ish saws to replace it.
Primary uses resawing up to 8” occasionally (2 days/mo), mostly radius work for windows and doors and curved moulding. Radius work needs to be pretty precise (yes id love a CNC but space and money are holding me back on that).

Grizzly G0569 2,995
Laguna LT24 (Italian made version) 4,999
Powermatic PM2415B-3 6,299
SCM S 640P 7,395
Felder FB 610 awaiting quote but guessing itÂ’ll be in the 7k range

IÂ’m one to buy a machine IÂ’m going to have for the rest of my career, so looking at quality. IÂ’m in my mid-20s so i have another 30-40 years in the business. That said, if the griz or Laguna is a quality saw and is built to last, saving 2-4K also sounds good.

Thanks for any input!

Sam Force
12-28-2020, 9:56 AM
I'm very happy with my Grizzlies. Do not have that saw but it would be my choice.

David Kumm
12-28-2020, 10:05 AM
The ACM and Centauro saws will be the higher end. The new SCMI may be ACM now rather than Centauro so check that out. I don't know if the Panhans version of the Aggizanni design are available but they would be worth checking. Felder used to sell and dACM saw but their new in house saws are somewhat lesser quality. If you are looking for a keep forever saw, also consider a good condition 30" Oliver 217 or Tanny PH, or the 27" Northfield. The cast iron saws are another step up but condition is everything. Dave

Jack Hovanec
12-28-2020, 10:32 AM
I'm very happy with my Grizzlies. Do not have that saw but it would be my choice.

If you don't mind me asking, do you use them in a professional setting? Every day use? I don't mean to sound rude if it comes off that way. I just want to be sure that the asian design and castings can hold up to this sort of use for decades to come. The price is definitely tempting as compared to the others, but i don't want to buy a "Kia" when I'm looking for longevity!

Thanks!

Patrick Kane
12-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Jack,

Is this a one man shop?

Considering you are somewhat budget conscious, i would limp along with the crescent for 45-60 days and give the used market an earnest shot. I cant remember where i recently saw this saw--or maybe it sold already--but it was a 30-36"(did they even make a 30"?) Centauro in Jersey for under a grand. 9hp and probably from the late 80s or early 90s. From what ive seen over the years, the biggest bandsaws can be some of the best gets on the used market. In particular, the euro steel frame saws in the 36" range can be superb bargains. They dont have the looks of the cast iron american saws, but i dont know how the bang for buck gets any better. Im talking about running saws in fair condition for $500-800 pretty routinely. You are near a pretty good pool of machines in and around north jersey and long island. My machine resaws really well and i can only imagine the joy of double the power, double the weight, and double the tension on a wider carbide blade.

I own a laguna ACM 20" machine. 5hp baldor motor. I sell some stuff, but im a light hobbyist when it comes to usage. This machine is fine for me, but I would want something huge if i did the work you describe. My machine is adequate for a small 1-2 man shop making furniture. 8" resawing at a fair clip is no problem along with other general purpose stuff. For what you describe, it would have to be a massive table on a 36-42" machine.

Erik Loza
12-28-2020, 11:01 AM
OP, what I hear is that you want "industrial" but can't swing the price for new. I would suggest keeping an eye out for a used Italian saw. Good luck in your search.

Erik

Jack Hovanec
12-28-2020, 11:30 AM
OP, what I hear is that you want "industrial" but can't swing the price for new. I would suggest keeping an eye out for a used Italian saw. Good luck in your search.

Erik
Hmmm... not sure where you got that from. I am more than willing to buy a new SCM or Felder machine which i consider pretty high end machines. My question is in regards to the quality and personal experience of the various features of the above machines.

Obviously it would be great to hear someone who runs a grizzly really hard say that its a great machine and has lasted them a decade and more to come, because it would save me a few grand. But if I have to shell out the big bucks because griz or laguna cant hold up, I'd be more than happy to as long as I get what I pay for.

Industrial meaning used hard and often. I would rather hear personal accounts from those who use their machines daily to make money, not someone cutting bowl blanks every other weekend (no offense to those people, I would just rather hear the opinion of someone who has been around the block more than I have with their machines). Unfortunately I don't have decades of experience in the bandsaw market. I just started my own operation 2 years ago and looking to upgrade is all.

Jack Hovanec
12-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Jack,

Is this a one man shop?

It's a two man operation at the moment, but looking to grow. Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'll try to keep my eye out more on the used market. I have been checking around pretty frequently within the past week or so, but it is pretty dead at the moment. I might keep looking as I try to educate myself more on the above 'new' options.

Thanks!

Richard Coers
12-28-2020, 11:44 AM
In my opinion, you can strike Grizzly out of the equation. There are reasons it's $2-4,000 below the others.

Jack Hovanec
12-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Dave, Great information here. Thanks!

Erik Loza
12-28-2020, 12:45 PM
Hmmm... not sure where you got that from. I am more than willing to buy a new SCM or Felder machine which i consider pretty high end machines. My question is in regards to the quality and personal experience of the various features of the above machines...

Having been in many, many production shops, I will you that only bandsaws I see that are more than 10 years old are either European or the cast iron American dinosaurs, which it sounds like you already have.

Erik

Brian Holcombe
12-28-2020, 1:09 PM
I have a SCM 20” Minimax and it’s a great saw, that said I would jump at a used Zimmerman or Hema in a second. SCM stuff, especially the heavier machines, definitely stand up to daily use.

Dave Cav
12-28-2020, 3:21 PM
I upgraded from a 17" Grizzly to a 20" Minimax and there really isn't any comparison. The Grizzly was a good saw, but the Minimax is a great saw, and would probably be capable of anything you would want to do short of a dedicated power fed resaw. The larger S 740p, S 840p and S 940p are even more heavy duty. If you want the absolute best American made bandsaw still available, look at Northfield. Still in production, made to order.

Mike Kees
12-28-2020, 6:05 PM
I have a Centauro CO 600. (24'') this saw is a 1984 model, it came from a theater company that used it from new to build sets for 2-3 different shows each year. I rebuilt it with all new bearings and cleaned it up to put it right back to use in my1-2 man cabinet shop. It is a great saw that gets used as a lumber break down machine. Mostly ripping and Resawing .I paid $600 for it and after bearings,paint etc have about 1100 in it. The only downside is it took me 6 years to find it. This saw would definitely fit what you are looking for.

Alex Zeller
12-28-2020, 7:04 PM
I have one of the Taiwanese Grizzly 19" bandsaws. It's been a very good saw for my needs but I'm a hobbyist. It sounds like there's a bearing (not on the guides) that is going bad much sooner than it should have. It could just be a fluke but my guess is that when you move up in class you get better components so you don't have these issues. I'm not sure I would go with a Grizzly if I was going to use the saw for a business on a daily basis. Depending on what you need from a bandsaw I think the Laguna LT24 would do what you need without the price tag of the more expensive European machines. I see plenty of them in shops around here.

Joe Hendershott
01-11-2021, 6:56 AM
If the need is immediate you might need to check with SCN or others for estimated delivery dates. Took 3 months to get my Minimax.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2021, 8:42 AM
I personally use a cast iron American dinosaur in my commercial shop. I wouldn't call it heavy use, but it's there to make $. The saw needed some work to get working right, but with new guides, a new motor and mag starter and an added fence system, it's still quite a bit cheaper than anything else I could find. I prefer the old iron to, but not judging someone who just wants new.

Curt Harms
01-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Re Grizzly, they do appear to have at least 2 lines of bandsaws, one for hobby/light industrial use like the G0513/G0514 then something like the G0568 or G0569 for heavier usage. I imagine the Northfield would cut about anything that would fit and do so for years.

Keith Outten
01-11-2021, 12:55 PM
I purchased the Felder FB 610 several years ago for my sign shop. IMO its a great saw. When I purchased mine it had a five HP motor, I believe the new models are four hp.
The FB 610 with a one inch carbide blade has cut anything I need including lots of solid surface materials which are normally very tough to cut. Re-sawing wood has also been very easy to do but I haven't done any wood species thicker than about 8 inches yet. My FB 610 is used daily, I pretty much abandoned my table saw years ago. The FB 610 will rip lumber faster and safer than my table saw, its the band saw I always wanted. I can't say that it is the best saw on your list but IMO its a contender.

FWIW I own a panel saw that I use to break down large sheets.

Chuck Saunders
01-12-2021, 10:07 AM
Northfield is as good as they come.
Chuck

Peter Kelly
01-12-2021, 2:14 PM
Could save some dough if you could figure out importing a Centauro to the US. Below cost for a 600mm saw probably includes Italy VAT which wouldn’t apply if exporting.
https://www.makxilia.biz/it/macchine-lavorazione-legno/seghe-a-nastro/sega-nastro-centauro-co600hd.html

roger wiegand
01-12-2021, 6:46 PM
Could save some dough if you could figure out importing a Centauro to the US. Below cost for a 600mm saw probably includes Italy VAT which wouldn’t apply if exporting.
https://www.makxilia.biz/it/macchine-lavorazione-legno/seghe-a-nastro/sega-nastro-centauro-co600hd.html

Boy, if I could get one here at that price I'd just write a check. I've been looking for a good used one for many months now. Ocean freight would probably only be a few hundred dollars, but one would probably get whacked with a substantial duty; I believe there is currently a 25% added duty on top of whatever it was before, so probably a total of 35-40%. At that point it's no longer such a good deal.

The €3333 price did not include VAT.

Alan Lightstone
01-13-2021, 8:57 AM
I have an FB710 which I think is great. Seems to be built like a tank, and handles anything I throw at it. But mine is not an industrial shop, though I think you would be very happy with it. Easily tensions a 1" blade to 25K.

Peter Kelly
01-13-2021, 11:24 AM
Boy, if I could get one here at that price I'd just write a check. I've been looking for a good used one for many months now. Ocean freight would probably only be a few hundred dollars, but one would probably get whacked with a substantial duty; I believe there is currently a 25% added duty on top of whatever it was before, so probably a total of 35-40%. At that point it's no longer such a good deal.

The €3333 price did not include VAT.The duty for woodworking machinery from EU into the US is 3%, the additional 25% only applies to imports from China. Additionally, you'd need to factor in ocean freight, local logistics and a forwarding agent with a Delaware address.

I've only ordered stuff from Germany that could be shipped by DHL but the process was pretty seamless.

Jim Matthews
01-15-2021, 6:50 AM
If your shop files as an LLC, you should be able to depreciate assets. If the bandsaw is a centerpiece in your shop, choose one that can be repaired easily.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2019_publink1000107308

Main bearings, interlocks, starter switches and motors that cannot be readily sourced should be kept as spares. Certainly the Grizzly products have repair parts in the US warehouse. My departed Minimax 20 had persistent starter switch problems.

That said, if I had any amount of money (and I don't) the Agazzani line would get my Benjamin's.

Curt Harms
01-16-2021, 9:26 AM

The €3333 price did not include VAT.

Something to consider if direct importing EU machines - check the motor frequency. My understanding is that EU machines run 50 Hz, hooking up to 60 Hz supply increases speed and also increases heat.

Mark Woodmark
01-16-2021, 9:50 AM
If your shop files as an LLC, you should be able to depreciate assets. If the bandsaw is a centerpiece in your shop, choose one that can be repaired easily.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2019_publink1000107308

Main bearings, interlocks, starter switches and motors that cannot be readily sourced should be kept as spares. Certainly the Grizzly products have repair parts in the US warehouse. My departed Minimax 20 had persistent starter switch problems.

That said, if I had any amount of money (and I don't) the Agazzani line would get my Benjamin's.

I have an Agazzani B20. Been happy with it and the support I have gotten from Eagle tools. Had a problem when it was new with one of the microswitches. Started to deduct which one it was and got fed up and disconnected all of them. It is now approximately 10 years old and on its third start capacitor. Since Agazzani has been sold (correct me if thats incorrect) parts are difficult to find. Three or four years ago I needed thruss bearings and had a hard time finding them. Eagle tools even asked where I found them.

Peter Kelly
01-16-2021, 3:59 PM
Something to consider if direct importing EU machines - check the motor frequency. My understanding is that EU machines run 50 Hz, hooking up to 60 Hz supply increases speed and also increases heat.As I understand it, an electric motor built for 50hz will have a higher impedance when plugged into 60hz mains so it will just draw less current and develop minimally less power. On a 2-3hp motor being used intermittently, the difference would be largely unnoticeable. I've also seen some Italian-made CEG motors that have ratings for both frequencies on the same plate.

Jared Sankovich
01-16-2021, 4:12 PM
As I understand it, an electric motor built for 50hz will have a higher impedance when plugged into 60hz mains so it will just draw less current and develop minimally less power. On a 2-3hp motor being used intermittently, the difference would be largely unnoticeable. I've also seen some Italian-made CEG motors that have ratings for both frequencies on the same plate.

I believe that torque remains relatively constant and since rpm increases so does hp. My Italian shaper is rated at 5.5kw @50hz and 6.6kw @ 60hz

Joe Calhoon
01-16-2021, 5:06 PM
I have an Agazzani B20. Been happy with it and the support I have gotten from Eagle tools. Had a problem when it was new with one of the microswitches. Started to deduct which one it was and got fed up and disconnected all of them. It is now approximately 10 years old and on its third start capacitor. Since Agazzani has been sold (correct me if thats incorrect) parts are difficult to find. Three or four years ago I needed thruss bearings and had a hard time finding them. Eagle tools even asked where I found them.

Mark, Panhans-Beck in Germany took over Agazzani. They rebranded and sold Agazzani for several years before this. Adding their guides and a few other items to the saws. They have no dealers here as far as I know.

Joe Calhoon
01-16-2021, 5:20 PM
I got real lucky when I found this Hema 20” saw just a couple hours from my shop. Pretty rare to find these in the US. There were a couple dealers in the early 80s so a few may be floating around. Way better build than any of the Italian saws. Some of the nicer features of this saw are the chain and handwheel raising and lowering of the upper guard-guide assembly and the heavy cast rip fence with drift adjustment. The Panhans guides are easy to adjust also.

Jim Matthews
01-16-2021, 7:41 PM
I got real lucky when I found this Hema 20

Hold the phone - your small saw is 20"?

Mark Woodmark
01-16-2021, 8:00 PM
Mark, Panhans-Beck in Germany took over Agazzani. They rebranded and sold Agazzani for several years before this. Adding their guides and a few other items to the saws. They have no dealers here as far as I know.

https://www.hoechsmann.com/lexikon/33145/hokubema_maschinenbau_gmbh

Let's see if I did this right. The link above is what I found about Agazzani

Charles Murray Ohio
01-16-2021, 8:23 PM
Jack,

I have a SCM 600p (24" resaw) it's 5-6 years old and was set up for test cuts, I just don't have room for 2 of these. It's located in central Ohio asking $4,400.00 If your interested email me at; the18thcenturycabinetmaker@gmail.com

Neil Gaskin
01-16-2021, 8:25 PM
I have an scm 20”. It’s a simple well made beast. It has a lot of mass which you want with a large bandsaw. I’d pass on the powermatic. I’m a powermatic fan but not for a large bandsaw. Stick with an Italian made one.

Thomas Eustis
01-16-2021, 8:57 PM
Minimax or the Laguna Italian-made

Joe Calhoon
01-17-2021, 9:46 AM

Let's see if I did this right. The link above is what I found about Agazzani

That’s the right company Mark. I always call it Panhans but it is Hokubema.

Mark Woodmark
01-17-2021, 11:19 AM
That’s the right company Mark. I always call it Panhans but it is Hokubema.

Thank you. I worry about finding parts for my saw if I need them in the future. The last time I needed some parts, Eagle tool didn't have them and told me I probably would not be able to find them. I was lucky and did find some. Eagle tool wanted to.know where I got them. Even the Agazzani dealer can't find parts

Mark Bolton
01-17-2021, 2:29 PM
I think I'll try to keep my eye out more on the used market.

Id agree with this sentiment as opposed to any of your new purchase options. A bit bit back a Centauro 900 (36") with perhaps 40 blades, and cleaning out the shop they tossed in a bunch of other stuff (perhaps 500-1k of solid surface and some other stuff).. carter upper and lower, 7.5 hp, plug and play... Was basically a get it out of the shop or its going to the scrap yard. Lightly used.

I wouldnt echo Patrick's perspective on used saws. Sounds a lot like a gambler recounting the time they flopped a royal flush. Ive never seen it but seeing big, clean, turn key, saws for $500 bucks is a waiting game and a costly crap shoot for a business that uses its equipment. Its not what you do when you need a saw. And the expense of waiting, the expense of transport, the expense of having to go and look at/investigate, are likely why your just considering a new purchase. Your time is far better spent making product in the shop. Its lost money d*cking off on auction sites, making phone calls, wringing your hands over buying sight unseen. The hobby folk dont care to drive 1000 miles to look at a saw to pass. Thats a 1500 day tossed to the wind when you couldve been in the shop making product.

I dont know if Bill Kerfoot is still in the loop up there in PA but you may be able to smack a nice tested/proven saw from someone like him in your area. You'll pay a shade of a bump but the saw will be run and you'll know the issues if any before hand.

Jeff Bartley
01-17-2021, 3:19 PM

Mark, I too have an Agazzani and have noticed the thrust bearings seem to be more worn than the rest of the guides. Where did you find replacements?

I actually haven’t been too impressed with the guides. However, the saw cuts great and powers through everything so I shouldn’t complain!

To the OP, when I was looking for a larger saw I really wanted an old cast iron saw but at the time I had too many irons in the fire so restoring a saw wasn’t an option. I lucked out finding a B-24 just a few hours away. It was plug and play and was immediately put to use. First job it did was cutting tenon cheeks on a few doors builds for a historic house. I couldn’t be without it these days!

Mark Woodmark
01-17-2021, 4:00 PM
Mark, I too have an Agazzani and have noticed the thrust bearings seem to be more worn than the rest of the guides. Where did you find replacements?

I actually haven’t been too impressed with the guides. However, the saw cuts great and powers through everything so I shouldn’t complain!

To the OP, when I was looking for a larger saw I really wanted an old cast iron saw but at the time I had too many irons in the fire so restoring a saw wasn’t an option. I lucked out finding a B-24 just a few hours away. It was plug and play and was immediately put to use. First job it did was cutting tenon cheeks on a few doors builds for a historic house. I couldn’t be without it these days!

I just knew someone was going to ask. I don't remember. I didn't commit it to memory because they mentioned they were no longer going to carry parts for Agazzani. Sorry. I would call Jesse at Eagle tools in Calf. He has always been very helpful

Mark Woodmark
01-17-2021, 4:06 PM

You could try pursuing the link above. My understanding is they own Agazzani now. Perhaps they can lead you to parts

Erik Loza
01-18-2021, 9:30 AM
Every Agazzani I've seen has the usual Euro-style guides. In other words, nothing proprietary. If I needed extra guides, I would probably just get some ceramics from Space Age Ceramics. Getting spare parts is the Achilles heel of Italian bandsaws.

Erik