PDA

View Full Version : What screws are you using

john davey
12-27-2020, 8:37 PM
Hi guys, I googling wood screws and am getting an overload of big box store links to sheet rock screws. I do see the spa screws as well. So I have we a few questions:

Where do you find your wood screws for hardwoods?
what sizes do you use for mostly 3/4 inch had and softwood as well as plywood? I have been using #6 1 1/4 or #8 x 1 1/4.
I have always done pilot and counter sink but am reading these sew screws including the spa do not need this because of the thread and tip?
Is there a chart/web site somewhere that lists what size and thread to use with what board/material?

Thanks for the help, I honestly did google some nutlike I said am getting bunch of ads to sheetrock screws :(...

Ron Selzer
12-27-2020, 8:47 PM
https://www.mcfeelys.com/

Dan Friedrichs
12-27-2020, 8:54 PM
I think you're talking about Spax screws? I know some people really like those, but I've bought a ton of GRK R4 screws (https://www.grkfasteners.com/products/r4-multi-purpose-screw) and use them for essentially everything.

ChrisA Edwards
12-27-2020, 8:59 PM
https://www.mcfeelys.com/

Ditto................ ......

john davey
12-27-2020, 9:02 PM
Yes sorry, apparently my x isn't working :)...

Bruce King
12-27-2020, 9:12 PM
All about screws
https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/todays-wood-screw-technology/

tim walker
12-27-2020, 9:18 PM
McFeelys has a lot of screws avaialble, but is the price point that good? Also I wonder why they only sell the square drive heads and not star drives.

Lee Schierer
12-27-2020, 9:30 PM
I used to use the zinc plated philips head wood screws. They worked fine, but occasionally striped out when power driving them. I switched to GRK or SPAX screws now and have no regrets. The Spax or GRK screws work very well with our without a power driver. I've never had one break or strip out. Best of all I can buy them locally. I use mostly # 8 x 1/-1/4 for my projects.

I would never use dry wall screw for anything other than hanging drywall. They are brittle, have threads full length and rust easily.

I looked at McFeely's but felt their prices were too high and shipping added more cost.

Bruce King
12-27-2020, 9:36 PM
McFeelys has a lot of screws avaialble, but is the price point that good? Also I wonder why they only sell the square drive heads and not star drives.
I’m seeing the star drive (torx) mainly for decking and heavy duty items since they can handle more torque. Square drives are for hidden applications in woodworking.

Andrew Seemann
12-27-2020, 9:47 PM
I use the Phillips gold construction screws from Menards for anything 1" and over where I can. I keep a 5 pound box each of 1", 1 1/4", 1 5/8", 2", 2 1/2", an 3" on hand. For larger, I have some 3 1/2" and 4" Torx drive deck screws. Anything longer than that gets a lag, carriage, or hex bolt.

Under 1" I typically use 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" drawer screws from Rockler. If I need pan or round head, I will typically use a sheet metal screw (I have a large amount on hand for other reasons).

I have a couple drawers of various size "actual" tapered wood screws for when I need to match a size and style, but in general I hate tapered screws, and slotted ones are a particular dislike.

Eric Arnsdorff
12-28-2020, 12:16 AM
I have McFeely’s square drive, GRK, and Spax. I like all 3. I use the McFeely’s for the smaller screw needs. My goto is the GRK for more structural strength but the Spax work just as good.
It is pretty much required to drill pilot holes in hardwood. I often don’t when I’m using pine or other softwoods.

Gary Petersen
12-28-2020, 1:00 AM
I'm partial to WoodPro All Purpose Construction screws. http://bandceagle.com/fasteners.php?type=packaged_screws The features I like include:

- Star drive
- The threads do not extend all the way to the screw head
- Nibs on the bottom of the screw head to help with retention of the screw into the wood

Jim Matthews
12-28-2020, 6:59 AM
+2 for Mcfeely's.

I use mostly #8, 1 1/4" lubricated.

Predrilled stock, with countersink.

Myles Moran
12-28-2020, 7:01 AM
I have a lot of the screws woodcraft sells. All the woodworking screw, none of the self drilling points. Unlike the cheap wood screws home depot sells, I have no issue driving a long screw with my impact driver without breaking it. I'm partial to the black oxide finish, but I also have a good number of the dry lube ones. Either way I make a conscious effort to put paste wax on the tip before driving them because it makes it so much easier.

I've heard that they're really close to the ones McFeely's sells. Those are good screws too, but I'd rather support my local woodcraft.

roger wiegand
12-28-2020, 8:07 AM
Spax and GRK for general purpose construction, Most wood screws are fine in hardwood if you pre-drill the right size holes (in anything I care about I always do two different sizes, one that just fits the screw for the top piece, and one a step or two smaller, depending on the wood, for where the threads bite in.)

I found a good (though not cheap) source for NOS and recovered slotted, cut screws for projects where a phillips, torx or Robertson head creates a jarring anachronism, BlacksmithBolt.com There's nothing worse on a real antique or quality reproduction you are trying to make than a bright cadmium coated Phillips head screw.

Frederick Skelly
12-28-2020, 8:24 AM
All about screws

Good article! Thank you!

Alan Lightstone
12-28-2020, 8:41 AM
McFeely's, although lately there's been a few sizes (mostly 3/4") that for odd reasons they don't stock, so I've had to go elsewhere.

For big structural stuff, GRK and sometimes Spax.

For sizes, I use them all. I have a drawer with about 40 separate compartments to cover everything from #4 - #12. But #8 or #10 is most commonly used.

Jim Becker
12-28-2020, 10:50 AM
I mostly use screws from McFeeley's, typically square drive which is "my" shop standard. If have to by local, I buy the higher quality construction grade screws, typically with Torx/star drive.

Drywall screws are cheap and attractive, but they are brittle and not designed for woodworking. Rather, they are optimized for holding up drywall. They cam-out easily and snap off even easier.

George Yetka
12-28-2020, 11:00 AM
1/2-1 Spax (dont love them kind of soft)
GRK are always available at HD for anything bigger than 1"(and have performed very well for me and cost isnt bad)

I may place an order from mcfeelys eventually to stock/replace all the smaller sizes.

Jay Kepley
12-28-2020, 11:01 AM
Another vote for McFeely's square drive. Reasonably priced and work great. I keep my stock of screws in various sizes in Harbor Freight Sortimo-style bins.

Bill Carey
12-28-2020, 12:06 PM
I use construction screws from menards with Philips heads. Everything in my world is fastened with philips head screws, and while I would like to use the square or torx screws, having to change bits all the time would drive me nuts. I had to repair a drawer slide and emptied the cabinet, crammed myself into the cabinet on my back and found that I needed a square drive. Trying to explain to my wife what I wanted and where it was in the shop almost ended our marriage. I didn't know she could string those words together that well. Very creative.

Peter Kelly
12-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Another good source for slotted head bronze, brass and steel screws are marine supply places.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/fasteners/screws-and-bolts

Gordon Dale
12-28-2020, 2:09 PM
All about screws

Excellent article. Thanks for posting the link.

Dan Hahr
12-28-2020, 4:27 PM
Kwik screws. Bought from cabinet supply shop. Any cabinet shop should be using something similar.

Dan

johnny means
12-28-2020, 7:25 PM
I use construction screws from menards with Philips heads. Everything in my world is fastened with philips head screws, and while I would like to use the square or torx screws, having to change bits all the time would drive me nuts. I had to repair a drawer slide and emptied the cabinet, crammed myself into the cabinet on my back and found that I needed a square drive. Trying to explain to my wife what I wanted and where it was in the shop almost ended our marriage. I didn't know she could string those words together that well. Very creative.

One of the nice things about McFeely is the dual square/philips drive. I get to use square drive in the shop, but can rest assured that anyone else who has to deal with my work will have the proper drive. I absolutely despise those Torx screws. I must have five different sizes of torx bit and can never guess which is the correct one.

john davey
12-28-2020, 9:01 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Much good info here as well as some good links so I have some homework to do :).... Thanks again...

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 9:37 AM
John, whatever you decide to buy, just be sure to buy quality screws. They do make things more pleasant for you, the woodworker, and the correct fastener will also provide a better result, too.

Howard Pollack
12-29-2020, 10:03 AM
I use type 17 exterior wood screws for everything. They have star drive (torx) and a self drilling point. I like the star drive because they don't cam out very much at all. I do predrill hardwood, but not softwood. -Howard

Charlie Jones
12-29-2020, 12:13 PM
I try to use square drive for everything. The square drive screws from Rockler are very good.

Von Bickley
12-29-2020, 12:39 PM
I'm presently using these from Amazon. They had fairly good reviews and the few that I have used seem to work O.K.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012HPSAAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry Frank
12-30-2020, 7:33 PM
For general shop use I use the Highpoint brand screws that I get at Woodcraft. They are self tapping but I typically do predrill.

Brian Holcombe
12-30-2020, 8:27 PM
Pre-drilling? That’s the planning stage where you lay out all of your pilot holes, is that correct?

lowell holmes
12-31-2020, 1:05 PM
I buy my screws at Lowes or Home Depot.
I can find what I am looking for at both stores.

Erik Loza
12-31-2020, 1:20 PM
I buy my screws at Lowes or Home Depot.
I can find what I am looking for at both stores.

Ditto, here. I use Spax for pretty much everything these days.

Erik

Joe O'Leary
01-02-2021, 3:12 PM
Are GRK and Spax just different brands with Torx heads?

Jim Becker
01-02-2021, 3:23 PM
GRK and Spax are different brands.

Glenn Lewis
01-03-2021, 9:22 AM
I use GRK a lot and have converted several other people i know. At work we get around the fact that they're not a 'typical' Phillips by buying a ton T15 bits and scattering them in every tool box, desk drawer, cash register drawer etc. And we have a cardinal rule that the bit holder on any impact driver should always have a T15 snapped in it😁

I'm sure there are better screws out there but GRK are good, reasonably priced, and available anywhere you have a HD or (i think) Lowes...

Jim Becker
01-03-2021, 9:33 AM
A post-frame builder I follow on YouTube has a lot of good to say about GRK products. Most of the Torx fasteners actually come with a driver bit in the box, too.

David Bassett
01-03-2021, 12:51 PM
... the Torx fasteners actually come with a driver bit in the box, too.

Only helps with brand new boxes! (DAMHIKT! :) )

On the other hand, our local HD has boxes of driver bits right with the screws.

Having implicitly admitted to using GRK screws, I should vote I guess. I prefer square drive* for when modern screws are appropriate. Mostly I steal them from my Kreg assortment, (and try to buy replacements on sale,) and have some Highpoint from Woodcraft that aren't awful.

(* and, from the description of the differences,I wish we could get real Robertson drive products here in the US.)

Jim Becker
01-03-2021, 4:34 PM
I also pretty much standardized on square/Robertson drive many years ago, but don't mind if something I need "now" is Torx. One thing about the bits...be sure to use the right type if an impact driver is involved, but that's usually in a construction situation rather than typical woodworking in the shop.

Alan Lightstone
01-04-2021, 8:09 AM
Again last night I was on McFeely's website trying to buy #6x1/2", #8x1/2", and #10x3/4" screws. They no longer stock any of them. Sometimes they have the brass boat screws, but they aren't self-starting and are a major pain to use. Not worth it. It seems like they just aren't interested in smaller sizes any more. Those were very tough to find elsewhere too.

Any suggestions for a good source for small length square drive screws?

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2021, 8:39 AM
Anymore I buy all of this kind of stuff through McMaster, except GRK which I buy at that orange building.