PDA

View Full Version : Toro Snowmaster?

Nathan Johnson
12-27-2020, 8:10 PM
My brother and I share the snow removal duties at our Mom's house. We have an old Murray two stage blower over there that has never run quite right and I am done putting time and money into it. I hate that thing.

I have a two stage Ariens at my house that I'm going to take over there. Her driveway sucks, and based on configuration we have to blow snow multiple times to get it to the yard. The Ariens will be fine.

So that leaves me to replace the Ariens at my house. I've only ever used a two stage machine, but in looking around the Toro Snowmaster has me pretty darn intrigued. I absolutely love the Personal Pace on my Super Recycler, and this Snowmaster looks like it'll make intermediate snows faster and easier. Bonus points for my fiance probably being able to use it easily also.
I don't have a huge driveway. Typical asphalt, three car garage. Not real long.

Does anyone run one of these? Would I totally regret moving away from a two stage?
If it's better for 95% of snows, and maybe a little worse but still capable for the big storms, I might have to go this route.

Lee Schierer
12-27-2020, 9:02 PM
My experience is limited to very little use of a single stage blower and lots of experience with two stage blowers. We received 18 inches of snow Christmas eve and Christmas. The ground wasn't frozen so the bottom inch or two were wet slush. I have no doubt that the single stage would have clogged immediately. As it was after 20 minutes my two stage was still working but wasn't throwing the snow very far, despite spraying everything with silicone before starting. It never did clog. It walked through solid snow that was up to the top of the auger housing at times and was throwing it 20+ feet.

Check out this video of a two stage and single stage clearing 3-4 inches of soft snow on a frozen driveway. Two vs One (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADv1XXunzOw). Watch how far each one throws the snow.

Nathan Johnson
12-27-2020, 9:15 PM
Thanks, Lee. I have no interest in a traditional single stage.
The Snowmaster is sort of a souped up hybrid single stage and it's intriguing.

Paul F Franklin
12-27-2020, 9:35 PM
I had an earlier, smaller toro that had a similar auger design. In a few inches of fluffy snow you could pretty much run with it. And it does clean right to the pavement. It would handle heavier wetter snow OK, but would not throw it very far. Not a problem on, say, a single wide driveway where you can throw half the snow to each side. But on wider areas like in front of a multi-car garage, you would end up moving the same snow 2 or three times. With wet snow that compresses that was a real problem. At my current home I have limited areas where I can throw the snow without piling it on plantings and I got rid of the toro after the first winter to get a two stage. In lighter snow or heavy snow that doesn't have to be throw far, the toro was a joy to use...light, maneuverable and fast. It does a better job of cleaning down to the pavement (because of the rubber edge on the blades) that my two stage ever does. The model you mention is clearly bigger and beefier than the one I had, so maybe it is less of a compromise.

But before you do this....would it make more sense to take that $$ and hire a plowing service for your Mom?

Warren Lake
12-27-2020, 10:23 PM
just got my big craftsman working and figured it all out very simple but still had one part missing so put in a grade five bolt

Friend bought me a Toro personal pace mower for my birthday, it was excellent in most ways. They could improve it if they put air wheels on it, any mower get rid of the plastic and put air way better.

Personal pace is an excellent thing. I burned the mower out as my place is hard with ditches and i also cut other places doing five lawns, stuff started to break and once the personal pace was broken it was 2-3 times as hard to use as a regular mower. Neighbours offered me a ride on mower. I said I didnt need it they said just try it so reluctantly I did. Wholly crap I was a 12 year old kid again with my first mini bike. i think I cut the lawn a few times when it didnt even need it.

Are you saying they put that personal pace feature into a snow blower? if so that would be great things would go faster and slow when you want not having to reach for the speed change arm etc, I cant help you with the toro but you should never have told me that feature is in blowers if it is, ill remember that every time im out with the old tech.

Nathan Johnson
12-27-2020, 10:54 PM
I had an earlier, smaller toro that had a similar auger design. In a few inches of fluffy snow you could pretty much run with it. And it does clean right to the pavement. It would handle heavier wetter snow OK, but would not throw it very far. Not a problem on, say, a single wide driveway where you can throw half the snow to each side. But on wider areas like in front of a multi-car garage, you would end up moving the same snow 2 or three times. With wet snow that compresses that was a real problem. At my current home I have limited areas where I can throw the snow without piling it on plantings and I got rid of the toro after the first winter to get a two stage. In lighter snow or heavy snow that doesn't have to be throw far, the toro was a joy to use...light, maneuverable and fast. It does a better job of cleaning down to the pavement (because of the rubber edge on the blades) that my two stage ever does. The model you mention is clearly bigger and beefier than the one I had, so maybe it is less of a compromise.

But before you do this....would it make more sense to take that $$ and hire a plowing service for your Mom?

Plowing this particular driveway would suck.
We did consider hiring it out, but she doesn't live too far away and it's another excuse to visit.

Nathan Johnson
12-27-2020, 10:56 PM
just got my big craftsman working and figured it all out very simple but still had one part missing so put in a grade five bolt

Friend bought me a Toro personal pace mower for my birthday, it was excellent in most ways. They could improve it if they put air wheels on it, any mower get rid of the plastic and put air way better.

Personal pace is an excellent thing. I burned the mower out as my place is hard with ditches and i also cut other places doing five lawns, stuff started to break and once the personal pace was broken it was 2-3 times as hard to use as a regular mower. Neighbours offered me a ride on mower. I said I didnt need it they said just try it so reluctantly I did. Wholly crap I was a 12 year old kid again with my first mini bike. i think I cut the lawn a few times when it didnt even need it.

Are you saying they put that personal pace feature into a snow blower? if so that would be great things would go faster and slow when you want not having to reach for the speed change arm etc, I cant help you with the toro but you should never have told me that feature is in blowers if it is, ill remember that every time im out with the old tech.

Warren, yes, they have added Personal Pace to one specific model line.
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/snow-blowers/snowmaster-824-qxe-36003

Warren Lake
12-27-2020, 11:07 PM
thanks

im impressed as I was with it on the mower till I broke it but thats me using stuff and there would have been a commercial model above it. I saw a you tube once of a guy who said his chute clogged in heavy snow and he had some change or changes he made and it throws snow like a monster. ILl have to try and find that if i saved it and see how it relates to these guys I have. One thing on the big one there are two settings on the lever to make the auger turn, I had moved off one setting to the lighter one but see it wasnt pulling the cable far enough. Find the handles too hard to hold down, or not too hard but why be doing hand exercises when you are plowing so ill figure out a mode for that maybe piece plastic pipe you slip on and it holds the handle to the bar for the auger.

Dave Lehnert
12-27-2020, 11:28 PM
People thinks Im crazy but I purchased a Toro electric snow blower. I consider it one of my best purchases.

Warren Lake
12-28-2020, 12:15 AM
is it three phase?

Ole Anderson
12-28-2020, 8:36 AM
I have always used just a single stage paddle style blower, now using a Toro Power Clear, non-electric start. Always starts on the first pull, even after over ten years. I seldom have over 6" of snow to clear here in southern Michigan. Once every few years I envy having a bigger blower but the advantages of a smaller blower outweigh the disadvantages. So fast to clear those 1"-4" snowfalls. Clears as fast as you can walk. We get about 35" per year here. Probably get a lot more up in MN. Replaced the scraper and paddle once.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/b5364655-f85b-4096-9802-ee7e92182f59/svn/toro-single-stage-snow-blowers-38753-64_145.jpg

Nathan Johnson
12-28-2020, 9:03 AM
We average something like 50 inches annually. Most snows are not the 10+ inch variety.
The small snows I often just shovel because a two stage is overkill and needs cleanup afterwards anyway.

Stan Calow
12-28-2020, 9:12 AM
I have a low end Toro single stage gas model, and it does OK. But has one design feature that really irks me. The wheels are held on the the steel rod axle by axle caps - pounded on the end by a hammer. This is the same design as on my grandson's plastic Lil Tikes wagon. The wheels would come off if you made a sideways move in the snow. I drilled holes in the axle and replaced the caps with cotter pins, but I would look for a sturdier design. Maybe they all come like that, I dont know.

dependable yard equipment, or child's toy - which is it?

Ron Selzer
12-28-2020, 9:23 AM
People thinks Im crazy but I purchased a Toro electric snow blower. I consider it one of my best purchases.

Bought a 120vac snow blower for the wife to use, she used it one year. now I use it and the two gas powered ones sit unused
Ron

michael langman
12-28-2020, 10:59 AM
I watched some videos last night of the toro snowmaster and could see someone who does not get much snow a year using it. A small single wide driveway it would be ok, but the snow at the end of the driveway from the plows doubles in height and compacts.
I don't know how rugged the drive system is on the snowmaster, being used on a lawn mower and then a snowthrower is two completely different scenarios.
And being called a hybrid is just a selling point,because it is still just a single stage snowthrower. But then the price of the snowthrower is less then a 2 stage, and will probably last half the life of a two stage.

Kev Williams
12-28-2020, 1:42 PM
Back in 1971 my dad bought an Atlas snowblower, it was an all-metal single-stage, just one auger that spun so fast you couldn't see it when it was running. If the motor was running the auger was rotating. Only the drive wheels were engage-able. Not once ever did I or anyone else have to stop and clean the chute, that thing kept the chute clear by brute force. The only thing that ever stopped it was a railroad spike one of the kids left on the driveway. Stopped the thing so suddenly the engine's flywheel sheared its woodruff key. No replaceable shear pins in those days. I replaced the key and used it another 10 years. Ended up giving it to my neighbor when I couldn't start it and bought an MGD. (turned out to be bad gas). I think the neighbor's still using the thing... ;)

I now have a 3-stage Cub Cadet--
While I'd love to give it glowing reviews, I can't. As to everything except throwing snow it's wonderful! Joystick chute maneuvering, wheel unlocking (power steering), headlight, heated hand grips-- and the thing IS wonderful at blowing fresh powder. But we never get fresh powder, our snow is always wet, and the other thing it's wonderful at is packing wet snow in the chute until it's plugged tight. It came with a chute-cleaning tool. IMO it shouldn't NEED a chute cleaning tool. And I won't even get started on how many shear pins I've replaced. (Of course, many of those busted pins are my fault ;) )

The single stage machines these days, they work, but those with a chute are worse than my Cub. And those that only shoot snow forward, not good on large driveways.

If I was smart I'd re-invent that old Atlas and start making the things

Jerome Stanek
12-28-2020, 6:05 PM
This year after the first snow I had so many stones in the yard I finally got around to making new skids for it. The ones that came on it were about 1 inch wide and would dig in the ones I made are 3.5 inches wide and a little longer I just welded them to the bottom of the original skids. I just used it Christmas day and boy does it work good easier to turn and no stones flying everywhere

Nathan Johnson
12-29-2020, 12:41 PM
Got to see a Snowmaster in person. I’m sure they’re fine, but it just doesn’t feel substantial enough and for a couple hundred bucks I can avoid potential regret.

Ordered a new two stage.

Thanks for the replies.

michael langman
12-29-2020, 1:48 PM
Good decision Nathan.

Brian Elfert
12-29-2020, 5:44 PM
All of the inexpensive two stage snow blowers seem to be pretty low quality like the Snowmaster. I spent the big bucks to get a Toro commercial two stage snow blower last winter. I'm not saying everybody should get the expensive commercial model, but the ones around the $1,500 mark or a bit above seem to be a lot nicer. I probably would have been fine with a $1,500 model, but my commercial unit really blows snow. It easier blows the snow 30 or 40 feet.

Nathan Johnson
12-29-2020, 5:48 PM
All of the inexpensive two stage snow blowers seem to be pretty low quality like the Snowmaster. I spent the big bucks to get a Toro commercial two stage snow blower last winter. I'm not saying everybody should get the expensive commercial model, but the ones around the $1,500 mark or a bit above seem to be a lot nicer. I probably would have been fine with a $1,500 model, but my commercial unit really blows snow. It easier blows the snow 30 or 40 feet.

I easily get 30+ feet with my economy line Ariens now.
I really didn't want to buy a new one at all, so I didn't consider the HD line, despite their obvious upgrades.

I went with the Toro 826 OAE. Kind of jazzed to try the auto steer.

Brian Elfert
12-29-2020, 6:33 PM
I easily get 30+ feet with my economy line Ariens now.
I really didn't want to buy a new one at all, so I didn't consider the HD line, despite their obvious upgrades.

I went with the Toro 826 OAE. Kind of jazzed to try the auto steer.

I had a pre-MTD Troy-Bilt unit until it broke an obsolete part. Great heavy duty snow blower that only cost maybe $700 new in 2001. It didn't blow snow all that far and I just figured all snow blowers were like that. I grew up using a Toro single stage snow blower that would blow snow six to eight feet on a good day. I was absolutely amazed how far my new Toro commercial snow blower would blow snow compared to what I had used in the past.

Frank Pratt
12-29-2020, 7:46 PM
I have a little single stage Toro, a Powerclear I think, and it is great for my needs; just about 800 sq. ft. of driveway & sidewalk with few heavy snowfalls. Always starts on the first pull.

But, it's limitations become quite clear when we get an overnight 40 cm dump of heavy snow like we did last week

Nathan Johnson
12-31-2020, 1:18 PM
New toy arrived. I suppose now it won't snow the rest of the year.

Larry Frank
12-31-2020, 7:56 PM
I get my snowblower out and running each year. I have no problem if I do not need it and actually am quite happy.

As I get older and have a terrible back, I got a service to do my driveway and sidewalk. I only do a small place for my mini dachshund who has short legs.

Lee Schierer
01-01-2021, 10:00 AM
New toy arrived. I suppose now it won't snow the rest of the year.

Years ago when we first lived in our current house. It was a year of record snowfall. I shoveled our driveway by hand. It eventually took 2 hours in the morning to get out and two at night to get back in. Our driveway was so narrow that when my parents come for my Wife's birthday (Feb 3), my dad had to let my Mom out while on the road and was just able to get the car (Buick LaSabre) off the road and get out by scraping the passenger side against the snow bank. I finally convinced my wife that we needed a snow blower. We went out and bought a 5 Hp Toro two stage. You guessed it, I had to wait until the following year to actually use it.