PDA

View Full Version : craftsman bandsaw

jeff oldham
12-25-2020, 10:50 PM
i have the craftsman 124.21400 benchtop bandsaw,,its a few years old and its kinda a pain to change blades but i do like the fact it can use a 1/2 blade,,the blade broke and i have to replace it and i noticed when i tighten the bottom roller bearings they freeze the bearing,,nothing wrong with the bearing,,it turns very easily till you lock it down,,,and needless to say ,,you have to lock it in place after you get your new blade on and get it adjusted,,but it just freezes the bearing when you do,,i have been thinking about selling it and geting a new one,,but most benchtop models will not take a 1/2 inch blade,,,3/8 is about the widest most will take,,any help would be appreciated,,

Ronald Blue
12-26-2020, 9:36 AM
Are you talking about the blade guide bearings? Just clarifying here. If it spins freely until you tighten what I presume is the bolt in the center it sounds like the outer race is making contact with the guide somewhere. Is there a spacer missing?

Ryan Yeaglin
12-27-2020, 1:00 PM
definitely sounds like the screw is putting pressure on the outside race. A washer can be a good fix, take the bearing to the hardware store and find a washer small enough not to contact the outside race and you'll be in business or switch out to a different screw with a smaller diameter.

Richard Coers
12-27-2020, 2:58 PM
A 1/2" blade may fit on that bandsaw, but I would be very surprised if it can tension it properly. I'm guessing there is a washer missing somewhere. Something that kept the pressure from the bolt on the inner race and keep the outer race away from other parts. Have you taken any of those bearings completely off recently?