PDA

View Full Version : Another way to search SMC archives

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2020, 5:36 PM
Hi all,
Sometimes SMC's internal search function doesn't work as well as I'd like. Here's a way to use google and it works great. Here's the steps:

1. Go to google advanced search: LINK (https://www.google.com/advanced_search)
2. Type in the search fields for whatever you are looking for
3. About half way down the page is a field called "site or domain". In that box, enter "sawmillcreek.org" (without the quotation marks).
4. Page down and click the blue "Advanced Search" button. Then the results appear, like any other google search.

I can't remember where I found this tip but it has been very useful.

Hope it helps.
Fred

Paul F Franklin
12-25-2020, 6:22 PM
or just enter your search term in the google search box and follow it with " site:sawmillcreek.org" Don't type the quote marks but you need a space before site:.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2020, 6:24 PM
Fred, there is an easier way. For some reason the search includes www. in the search term at Google:

Google even informs the searcher there isn't much to see.

Remove the www. and things look a lot better:

Amazingly the first three results actually have something to do with the search name.

Sometimes it helps to include the name of the original poster if it can be remembered.

jtk

Bruce King
12-25-2020, 11:55 PM
Easiest way that works. Also can put the search term in quotes to get exact match.

Jamie Buxton
12-26-2020, 12:23 AM
At the top of the SMC page, to the right, there's a search box. Type something into it, hit Enter. As far as I can tell, the effect is a Google search. The returned page is a standard google page. And you never had to leave SMC to do the Google search.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2020, 2:38 AM
At the top of the SMC page, to the right, there's a search box. Type something into it, hit Enter. As far as I can tell, the effect is a Google search. The returned page is a standard google page. And you never had to leave SMC to do the Google search.

Yes Jamie it does return a standard Google search of >search terms site:www.sawmillcreek.org < For some reason cutting out the > www. < from the search term so it
reads > search terms site:sawmillcreek.org < usually returns better results.

jtk

Jamie Buxton
12-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Yes Jamie it does return a standard Google search of >search terms site:www.sawmillcreek.org < For some reason cutting out the > www. < from the search term so it
reads > search terms site:sawmillcreek.org < usually returns better results.

jtk

When you're using that search box on the SMC page, you don't need to add the "www.sawmillcreek.org". I think the SMC page adds that part, and sends the whole search off to Google.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2020, 12:09 PM
When you're using that search box on the SMC page, you don't need to add the "www.sawmillcreek.org". I think the SMC page adds that part, and sends the whole search off to Google.

Yes it does. Google or SMC software adds > site:www.sawmillcreek.org < to the search terms entered by the user. The user needs to remove the > www. < from the search string for a better result.

If you find a post you know you will want to find again, it is possible to add tags to the page. This feature can be found at the bottom of the page.

jtk

Keith Outten
12-27-2020, 2:09 PM
Don't forget that you can subscribe to threads here.