PDA

View Full Version : What tools did Santa bring?

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2020, 1:30 PM
I was surprised with a number of small but useful gifts this year:
* 2 more Grammercy holdfasts (one was probably enough, but...)
* 1 more magnetic featherboard
* Microjig Pro Clamp Kit
* Veritas Bevel Setter. Beats the devil out of that darn protractor thing I have. Will store that away.
* Veritas 1 1/2" Pocket Layout Square. Will store away the Bridge City version that I previously bought from LV - the magnets dont hold the "bottom" on well. (No justifiable reason to return it, IMO)
* A copy of Joyce's Encyclopedia of Woodworking. I have never seen a used book in brand new condition before this.
* A copy of Lang's book on making kitchen cabinets. I suspect my Mom has an ulterior motive in giving me this - will have to ask Dad. :)

What did YOU get?
Fred

Nathan Johnson
12-25-2020, 3:08 PM
Tool related, I got new grill tools (badly needed) and a Lie Nielsen gift certificate from my side of the family.
We will do video gift exchange with in-laws Saturday or Sunday, so perhaps more.

Now to peruse LN's site....

Christopher Herzog
12-25-2020, 4:28 PM
Festool sander for the shop

Jim Koepke
12-25-2020, 4:35 PM
Not counting the cookware or shop tools bought by Santa for himself?

Well there was one under the tree:

An Old Timer Carving Knife has six blades for carving away from the shop.

jtk

David Publicover
12-25-2020, 5:12 PM
I received a pair of Gramercy holdfasts and a saw sharpening file. I had been waiting on the holdfasts for a while as Lee Valley was out of stock this summer and into the fall. I’m looking forward to trying them out.
I did gift myself some tools earlier in the week when I snagged a great deal on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig’s List). I picked up a Lie-Nielsen #5, #62, older style Tenon saw and a set of 5 mortise chisels. All unused or very lightly used at a significant discount. HoHoHo!

Jim Becker
12-25-2020, 5:14 PM
The only "woodworking related" I received so far was this combination of chocolate and Lee Valley. :D

But this was a nice touch, too...

447904 447905

I'll be able to monitor my heart rate as I either screw something up or look fondly at a very nice piece of lumber. :) :D Professor Dr. SWMBO got one, too...in red.

Steve Eure
12-25-2020, 6:26 PM
Badly needed 4" Robust tool rest. Two large bottles of thin CA glue. Pocket hole jig. Several sets of corner clamps. Vix bits. Of course as always, the goodies I bought for myself that wifey doesn't know about. Or does she???

Doug Dawson
12-25-2020, 6:47 PM
Some files, a bunch of Knipex needle nose pliers, a Fluke 62 Max+ IR thermometer (my old Raytek Raynger died last week after 29 years of faithful service,) and some gel pads for my aching back.

I gave my wife a Milwaukee M12 crown stapler, which she loved, as she does all the upholstery.

Phillip Mitchell
12-25-2020, 7:59 PM
I got a gift card from Lee Valley my mother in law; she always gives the best gifts! I spent the better part of an hour this morning adding and removing marking and measuring tools from my cart to try and maximize the efforts. Hard to keep yourself reeled in looking on their site.

Paul F Franklin
12-25-2020, 10:42 PM
My wife gave me a few small but welcome additions: A set of T handle hex wrenches, metric and imperial, a magswitch featherboard, a multi-roll tape dispenser from StewMac (really nice) and a small portable blower (like a powerful hair dryer but without the heat). I don't leave my compressor running all the time, and I hate firing it up just to blow the dust off of stuff, so this will sit under my assembly table ready to go.

Ole Anderson
12-26-2020, 9:05 AM
I got a set of two adjustable square drive to 3/8" socket tap chucks. Closest to woodworking is a 30k# HF tree saver strap for the Jeep's winch. Orange to match the jeep. Gotta keep those trees in good shape for the loggers.

Brian Elfert
12-26-2020, 11:32 AM
The only "gift" I got is a wireless headset I bought for myself. It is a tool for work. I was tired of running over the cord on my wired headset with working at home and doing lots of TEAMs calls.

Kev Williams
12-26-2020, 8:08 PM
Mrs Claus got me an AFTER work tool :)

--but of course using it DURING work isn't out of the question

(one of the perks of self-employment) ;)

Scott Kilroy
12-27-2020, 10:41 AM
I got exactly what I was hoping for a WEN track saw and the track to go with it!

Rob Luter
12-27-2020, 1:43 PM
Santa ordered me a couple stones prior to Christmas but I was surprised to see another treat under the tree. It was a back order notice for a LN Rabbet Block Plane. The good news is that Mrs Claus got a shipping notice on the 24th so it won’t be too late.

Frederick Skelly
12-27-2020, 4:09 PM
Santa ordered me a couple stones prior to Christmas but I was surprised to see another treat under the tree. It was a back order notice for a LN Rabbet Block Plane. The good news is that Mrs Claus got a shipping notice on the 24th so it won’t be too late.

I bought one of those a couple years back Rob. Bet you'll like yours too!
Fred

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2020, 5:11 PM
While Santa didn't leave me any woodworking gifts, one of my DILs gave me a HD gift card. I will buy something for the shop there, possibly another clamp or two. My SIL, a professional carpenter extraordinaire, gave me a Makita XTR01 cordless router. While I already owned the corded version, I can see how this will be even more useful.

Bernie Kopfer
12-28-2020, 7:15 PM
WHAT DID SANTA GET ME FOR CHRISTMAS.?
Not enough! My desires exceed my pocketbook, or what is a shop for!
Actually I am so blessed to have what I need and then some. The privilege and joy of doing good for others be it shop work or otherwise does make me grateful and puts a smile on my face😷

Frederick Skelly
12-28-2020, 9:48 PM
WHAT DID SANTA GET ME FOR CHRISTMAS.?
Not enough! My desires exceed my pocketbook, or what is a shop for!
Actually I am so blessed to have what I need and then some. The privilege and joy of doing good for others be it shop work or otherwise does make me grateful and puts a smile on my face��

Nothin' wrong with that, Bernie! Sounds like you have what you truly need. Good for you!
Happy New Year,
Fred

Keith Outten
12-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Although I didn't get any tool type presents this year my sign company did receive a couple very nice additions to my shop just before Christmas.

The first is a Logic Trace Digitizing Tablet I will be using to convert paper drawings and sketches to digital files so I can cut them on my CNC Router or cut/laser engrave on my laser. On the table top in the pic you can see a series of maps that I am considering converting so that I can get all of the maps on one large drawing. My first machining job is Rip Van Winkle from a drawing I purchased from Wooden Memories years ago. When he is complete I will share a picture. I have a dozen rocking animal project drawings to convert and the tablet will make creating my own gaskets a snap when I can trace the old gasket and cut it with the laser.

My second item is an air lift table built as a motorcycle lift but it will be used as a work bench for certain projects and a lift when working on machines so I don't have to crawl on the floor. The top surface is 2 by 7 feet and converts to 4 by 7 feet with the extensions.

The first job up, because it was a few days before Christmas, the table provided plenty of space for the Christmas Ornaments I make every year for family and friends.

In spite of the Covid 19 problems this year my sign company has been pretty active, well as active as you can be with only one sign maker :)

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 2:27 PM
That adjustable height surface is a great addition to your shop, Keith!

Lisa Starr
12-29-2020, 3:04 PM
Not much in the way of tools this year for Christmas, but my family has set a maximum of $25.00 per person. Some members of our family are having financial issues due to the pandemic and others due to health problems. My gift to myself was the A3-31 ordered months ago that should be arriving very soon.

Keith Outten
12-29-2020, 4:03 PM
That adjustable height surface is a great addition to your shop, Keith!

Thanks Jim, I was a bit unsure about the lift at first but I'm sure now that it was a good decision. I have been using small hydraulic lift tables for many years so I know how handy they are for sign projects. The new Air Lift table is capable of lifting lawn mowers and other machines, something that the smaller tables cannot do. At seven feet long the new table can handle twelve foot long sheets of solid surface material that I often struggle to manhandle. I can get the long sheets to my shop with my tractor and now I have a table parked under the overhead lift so heavy the lifting chores will be a thing of the past.

Dave Mills
12-29-2020, 5:16 PM
Santa brought me a DIY workbench kit!

Frank Pratt
12-29-2020, 7:51 PM
I'll be able to monitor my heart rate as I either screw something up or look fondly at a very nice piece of lumber. :) :D Professor Dr. SWMBO got one, too...in red.

Just be sure she hasn't synced it with her phone, thus enabling her to monitor your indiscretions :)

Jim Becker
12-29-2020, 8:59 PM
Just be sure she hasn't synced it with her phone, thus enabling her to monitor your indiscretions :)

No worries about that... LOL

ChrisA Edwards
12-29-2020, 11:36 PM
Santa brought me a 12" disc sander, so now I'm building a cabinet to give it a home.

Michael J Evans
12-30-2020, 2:54 AM
I must've been good this year, as santa brought me something I've been dreaming about a long time. A new bandsaw!!!!! A Jet jwbs-14sfx.
Seriously I've been talking about them forever to the wife and when the December woodcraft ad came along I jokingly said something about santa bringing me the bandsaw (that was on the cover). unbelievably I came home from work one day, wife told me my gift was to big to wrap and sitting in the garage. Still can't believe I got it...

Larry Frank
12-30-2020, 7:20 AM
I received a small 3D printer from my son. He came in for a visit so I also got lessons on how to prepare files and use it. It will let me learn about them and decide if I want a bigger one.

My son also improved our home WiFi by putting in a ASUS mesh system. It is providing much better speed and coverage.

He also replaced the hard drive in my wife's HP laptop. The one in it was a generic no name that was going bad after two years. He replaced it with a 1 tb SanDisk solid state drive. The performance improvement is amazing.

It was great to spend time with him and to fix things.

Frederick Skelly
12-30-2020, 8:18 AM
I received a small 3D printer from my son. He came in for a visit so I also got lessons on how to prepare files and use it. It will let me learn about them and decide if I want a bigger one.

My son also improved our home WiFi by putting in a ASUS mesh system. It is providing much better speed and coverage.

He also replaced the hard drive in my wife's HP laptop. The one in it was a generic no name that was going bad after two years. He replaced it with a 1 tb SanDisk solid state drive. The performance improvement is amazing.

It was great to spend time with him and to fix things.

Sounds like you're a lucky guy Larry. Glad you got to see him!

3D printers are pretty neat and they seem to get more capable each year. I could see using a small "starter system" to make small drawer pulls and add-ons for certain woodworking projects. I'd be interested to hear what you think after you've had some time with yours.

Jim Becker
12-30-2020, 9:18 AM
Larry, that was a very kewel gift to receive! 3D printing is an interesting thing...exactly the opposite of all of the stuff we typically do in woodworking which revolves primarily removing material until we get what we want. With 3D printing, you start with nothing and add material incrementally until you get what you want. Have fun with that new tool! (Good move on the mesh system, too...)

Lisa Starr
12-30-2020, 1:47 PM
Larry, I think you'll enjoy the 3D Printer. I design things and do the file conversion work before emailing it off to my son. He's the one with the actual printer. I leave my rolls of filament at his house and he loads the filament and fires up the printer. I've toyed with getting my own, but neither he nor I need one that much of the time.

Jacob Mac
12-31-2020, 2:57 AM
I got a Lamello classic X. Pretty excited to use it for my next two projects

Ed Gibbons
12-31-2020, 8:12 AM
Jessum router lift. Great addition!

George Yetka
12-31-2020, 9:40 AM
I got the best woodworking gift of all, time in the garage away from kids to do so. On a day of my choosing. And my mother in law doubled down by giving me an additional day saying she would take them on a different day. Oh ya I also bought my self a supermax 19-38

3d printing is something I got into a few months ago. Wasnt sure Ide get my money out of it so i bought a cheaper machine and set it up at my office. It has pretty much ran since I bought it.
Thingiverse.com has a ton of stuff already made for you to print
Tinkercad.com is a very easy to use web based design program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OthwoWeLb_U&t=17s I may ligning some of my drawers with this guys boxes.

Frederick Skelly
12-31-2020, 9:59 AM
3d printing is something I got into a few months ago. Wasnt sure Ide get my money out of it so i bought a cheaper machine and set it up at my office. It has pretty much ran since I bought it.
Thingiverse.com has a ton of stuff already made for you to print
Tinkercad.com is a very easy to use web based design program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OthwoWeLb_U&t=17s I may ligning some of my drawers with this guys boxes.

Enjoy your time off George - sounds like that was a great gift!

That was an interesting video. I like his cases and the printed bins very much. I wonder how the cost of printing those bins compares to buying them? Im also guessing that you need a machine that's able to stand up to heavy use to do a lot of those? (Would a "starter machine" have the durability and speed to handle printing a bunch of stuff like that? I don't know enough to know.) I really liked the idea of printing handles, hinges, latches, etc for the pseudo-systainers. I have a rack like his in which I store wood cut-offs, and it's very handy.

George Yetka
12-31-2020, 11:09 AM
Enjoy your time off George - sounds like that was a great gift!

That was an interesting video. I like his cases and the printed bins very much. I wonder how the cost of printing those bins compares to buying them? Im also guessing that you need a machine that's able to stand up to heavy use to do a lot of those? (Would a "starter machine" have the durability and speed to handle printing a bunch of stuff like that? I don't know enough to know.) I really liked the idea of printing handles, hinges, latches, etc for the pseudo-systainers. I have a rack like his in which I store wood cut-offs, and it's very handy.

Time to print, quality of print, and size of print can be your only restrictions. I have a cheeper machine and have batched out alot. (mainly desiccant containers, cups for drill bits for a press cabinet, cordless battery holder , and figures for my daughter.
It may take longer but a 3d printer cant cost you more than $5 a day including pla and electric (unless it catches fire)

thingverse has all kinds of hinges, brackets, handles, pulls. pretty much anything you can think of you can find there. If you cant I usually go to tinkercad and design it myself.

Mike Soaper
01-01-2021, 4:47 PM
I asked for a vertias cabinetmakers mallet .. and got this

until the real thing is no longer out of stock.

But I like this one more from my daughter, since it can also be a tree/shop decoration, or a mallet for cracking steamed Chesapeake bay crab claws.:)

Jay Rasmussen
01-02-2021, 8:42 PM
Thanks to a generous employer this was my Christmas presents. Had not had a real planer in several year, really enjoy this one!
Happy new year to all!

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2021, 9:25 PM
Wow Jay! We could all make due with an employer like yours!

Terry Wawro
01-03-2021, 9:38 PM
Santa brought me a mixed bag of inexpensive gifts....

Crepe rubber block for cleaning sanding belts.
Electrician insulated screwdriver set
Cheap amp meter to balance load on our backup generator
Sanding pad that accepts 5 inch hook & loop sandpaper
Sandpaper assortment on rolls to use with the lathe
Electrical circuit signal tracer to find out what breaker controls what outlet

And the big gift was a OneWay Wolverine jig for sharpening turning tools.