PDA

View Full Version : fun with laminates

Keith Christopher
01-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Well here is a dyed maple laminate glue up. I met a local cane manufacturer who gave me a bunch of his cut offs, so I turned the first as a pen to return the favor. Enjoy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Lathe/canepen1.jpg

Closeup: Canepen (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Lathe/canepen.jpg)

Keith

Ernie Nyvall
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Keith, you are really turning out some nice pens. This is certainly another example.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
01-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Awesome pen!
Great job!

Dennis Daudelin
01-04-2006, 6:26 AM
Great job with the pen!!

I'm assuming that you dyed the wood yourself before making the laminate! It sure gives you the ability to make colorful blanks which you couldn't get if you were just getting Colorwood or the such!!

Thanks for sharing this great result and stimulating my thoughts...

Dennis

John Hart
01-04-2006, 7:45 AM
That thing is awesome Keith!! I would have trouble giving it away...But you did the right thing.....'Sides, you can make more!!!!;) Very cool.:)

Keith Christopher
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Great job with the pen!!

I'm assuming that you dyed the wood yourself before making the laminate! It sure gives you the ability to make colorful blanks which you couldn't get if you were just getting Colorwood or the such!!

Thanks for sharing this great result and stimulating my thoughts...

Dennis

Dennis,

I didn't do the color laminates, a local manufacturer of walking canes had some cutoffs from his shop. He and I were talking and I noticed the vibrant colors he used and asked if I could have some of his scrap cutoffs to work with. He said "sure, saves me from having to throw them out. I have a ton of them." Kinda cool. They are all dyed maple glued up with weldwood plastic resin glue after they are dyed and left to fully cure for about 3 days. You are right, I have been playing with the transtint dyes for a while now I may have to make my own. I like the way this turned out. Each part of the lamination is about 1/16" thick.

Keith

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2006, 1:05 PM
Keith that thing is cool. I really like the colors. Nice job.

Dennis Daudelin
01-05-2006, 9:19 AM
Wow Keith, you are lucky to have a local supplier for these parts. If they're using 1/16" layers, then these would take quite a while to dye and then glue-up!! Never mind the mess with both processes!!

Sounds like you have an endless supply! Lucky indeed!!

Dennis

Charles E. Martin V
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Very nice work. Don't overlook the chance to advertise yourself or make a little side money with your pens. It would be cool if you could sell canes and matching pens, then you both profit.

Keith Christopher
01-05-2006, 1:13 PM
Wow Keith, you are lucky to have a local supplier for these parts. If they're using 1/16" layers, then these would take quite a while to dye and then glue-up!! Never mind the mess with both processes!!

Sounds like you have an endless supply! Lucky indeed!!

Dennis

Yes it is lucky. The cane mfg has a "pressure cooker" that he force injects dye into the thin stock, kinda like stablized blanks. Takes about 3 hours and he gets a huge stack of say - green- then on to yellow . . .

Ever seen plywood made ? This is similar, the strips are fed into a machine which applies glue to both sides, then once the 1 7/8 stack is made 2 1/16" strips are placed on either side then it is put into a heat press for a few hours. These are done like 10 at a time. And yes he assures me I can have all the cutoffs I need. Apparently his disposal charges by weight on "bulk trash"

Very nice work. Don't overlook the chance to advertise yourself or make a little side money with your pens. It would be cool if you could sell canes and matching pens, then you both profit.

Charles,

Why do you think I made the pen ? ;)

Keith

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 1:18 PM
I'm thinking you better go in the pen blank business. I'm sitting and I can see the possibilitys for use in a cutting board myself!!

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 1:27 PM
Great pen and a great find on the wood. I would load up my shop with that stuff !:)

Gary DeWitt
01-05-2006, 4:52 PM
I've seen blanks from a similar material for sale, so there is a market for blanks. All you have to do is find it, if you're so inclined.
Many a fortune has been mady by somebody who found a market for someone elses castoffs. For a wood example, think about all the wood products made from oriented strand, or chips, or just sawdust (MDF).