PDA

View Full Version : Replacement dryer light

Lee Schierer
12-24-2020, 1:20 PM
Our dryer uses a 120 V 10 Watt candelabra screw base bulb. The lamp burned out today. Has anyone replaced the light inside a clothes dryer with and LED? If so how has it worked and what brand lamp did you get?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2020, 2:05 PM
Good luck on that one Lee. I suspect the heat in a dryer or say an oven are going to keep incandescent bulbs in production for a while.

Myk Rian
12-24-2020, 2:10 PM
Good luck on that one Lee. I suspect the heat in a dryer or say an oven are going to keep incandescent bulbs in production for a while.

^^^^Yeah, that^^^^

David Bassett
12-24-2020, 2:29 PM
Plus LED's don't like heat.

With how little a dryer light is on, you won't save much energy with even a magical zero watt bulb. I wouldn't be surprised if someday, maybe soon, dryer & oven lights were the last surviving incandescent bulbs.

Frank Pratt
12-24-2020, 3:01 PM
My Kitchenaid oven destroys the lamps every time I run a clean cycle. Just bakes the adhesive securing the socket to the glass. Removing them is the solution, if I'd remember. I wish LEDs would work there, but again, the heat.

Jim Koepke
12-24-2020, 3:12 PM
Lee, why are you interested in replacing it with an LED?

The light in our dryer often unscrews itself from vibration. We just screw it back in when the light doesn't come on.

There are lamps made for especially for use in appliances. Not sure if they are made to withstand the heat of a cleaning cycle.

We freeze bread to have on hand since we do not get into town often. One of the problems is even with very short periods of contact the light in our freezer gets hot enough to melt the plastic wrap on the bread. Usually this is on the end of the bag that is loose. My method of making sure the older loaves are used first is to have the opening end pointing out. Now the older ones are stowed below the newer loaves.

It is always something.

jtk

David Bassett
12-24-2020, 4:21 PM
... the light in our freezer gets hot....

Freezers and refrigerators make sense for LED lighting.

I remember an article about some big chain, Walmart I think, changing their refrigerated units to LED lighting. They expected the change to pay for itself eventually due to the lower energy cost of the lights. However, the change paid off something like 4X as fast as expected because they also saved on energy cost for cooling. (Of course the lights are mostly on in display cases. Our home frig's wouldn't show nearly that much benefit, but new production....)

Lee Schierer
12-24-2020, 5:15 PM

The reason I ask is because an internet search shows a number of LEDs for dryers. A dryer doesn't get as hot as an oven.

Frank Pratt
12-24-2020, 10:31 PM
The reason I ask is because an internet search shows a number of LEDs for dryers. A dryer doesn't get as hot as an oven.

If the light has a lens over it, then it won't get near as hot.

I am not positive about this, but I don't think that higher temps have the same deleterious effect if the LED is not energized, which it isn't while the dryer is running. Research time.

Mike Soaper
12-25-2020, 12:09 AM
We use something like this in our washer, don't know if it would work/survive in a dryer.

Feit Electric 7-Watt Equivelant C7 2700K White LED E12 Night Light Bulb (2-Pack)-BP7C7W/827/LED2/HDRP - The Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-7-Watt-Equivelant-C7-2700K-White-LED-E12-Night-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-BP7C7W-827-LED2-HDRP/309015464)

Bill Dufour
12-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Many cheap LED bulbs fail by the power supply overheating. I have seen pictures of charred bases. We had one that started to flicker. the ceramic base had cracked into three pieces exposing the wiring inside. I was surprised it was ceramic not plastic.
They have warning labels "not for use in enclosed fixtures". I think that is due to overheating.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
12-25-2020, 4:29 PM
Freezers and refrigerators make sense for LED lighting.

I remember an article about some big chain, Walmart I think, changing their refrigerated units to LED lighting. They expected the change to pay for itself eventually due to the lower energy cost of the lights. However, the change paid off something like 4X as fast as expected because they also saved on energy cost for cooling. (Of course the lights are mostly on in display cases. Our home frig's wouldn't show nearly that much benefit, but new production....)

One of the many things recalled from my early years in my folk's furniture & appliance store was if a refrigerator kept running and didn't get cold, it was often caused by a bad switch at the door leaving the light on all the time. Of course commercial units with lights are designed to compensate for the added heat.

jtk

Rollie Meyers
12-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Not going to save any money by going LED, just replace with like.

Keep

It

Simple

Sir