PDA

View Full Version : track saw clamps

Aaron Liebling
12-24-2020, 10:48 AM
In preparation for a kitchen remodel, I finally got a track saw with tso parallel guide. Assuming I'll be doing some rips off full sheet plywood, is it worth having clamps or does the parallel guide obviate the need for them? If yes to clamps, which lines for makita tracks?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Mark Gibney
12-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Absolutely get clamps. I don't know the Makita system, so cannot comment on which clamps.

Mike Kees
12-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Aaron I have a Makita tracksaw with Makita clamps. So far they work well for me. I have read quite a few threads and alot of guys buy the DeWalt clamps for Makita tracks. They are easier to adjust.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-24-2020, 11:19 AM
If the Dewalt clamps fit then the low profile clamps that Lee Valley sells should fit as well. I have both Dewalt and Lee Valley clamps and use the Lee Valley clamps the most.

Cliff

Aaron Liebling
12-24-2020, 3:44 PM
Thanks! I had a gift card for lee valley, so that's easy enough. Assuming I'll be using the tso parallel guide (and square) any other accessories that are going to make my life much easier while knocking out a bunch of cabinets?

How is the default makita blade? Worth getting a freud plywood blade?

jamil mehdi
12-24-2020, 6:22 PM
I have the Makita track saw with Dewalt clamps and Festool connectors. The dewalt clamps are way faster to use. I got the festool connectors because Makita's are known to not always be straight or very strong.

A lot of people love the Makita blade. I hated it. I was never happy with the cut quality until I replaced it with a Tenryu track saw blade. Yes, Tenryu makes track saw blades and they're only $50-ish, HIGHLY recommended. They have 12 different track saw blades. I don't know if I got a bad blade from Makita, but it burned from the very first cut. I know other people have had much better luck with the stock blade

Here's the link to Tenryu's track saw blades page. http://www.tenryu.com/ps.html

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2020, 7:34 PM
I use a couple of cheap spring clamps. They grab the edge away from the blade. They get in the way only if you're doing a full plunge with the blade. If you're processing plywood, you won't be making a full plunge. They'll cost you $2 if you don't have some already.

Jim Dwight
12-25-2020, 3:34 PM
Not sure how the Makita track clamps work but my DeWalt are quick action one hand clamps. Work with other brands of track.

I believe the Makita saw uses a 165mm blade like my DeWalt. Freud only makes 160mm blades, I believe, so you loose a little depth of cut and the depth scale may be off. I have used Oldham and Freud blades on my DeWalt but I like the DeWalt blades the best, except for ripping hardwood and for deep buts I like my Freud ripping blade. The DeWalt blade should fit your Makita but I don't know how it compares to the Makita. The DeWalt has a nice cut quality, comparable to my PCS with a clean good quality blade.

Jim Becker
12-25-2020, 6:00 PM
Since the Makia tracks are nearly identical to the Festool tracks there are lots of compatible options. I very rarely clamp a track, honestly, but for a long critical cut, it's not a horrible idea. The only two clamps I have are Festool labeled, but I suspect they are Bessey's with grey handles. :)

Tim Andrews
12-26-2020, 11:34 AM
I repurposed a couple of clamps from my old metal guide for my circular saw, which uses the same bolt head. I’m sure it’s not as fast as the Dewalt, so I might end up buying those. Why is it that every time I come to this forum I end up buying more stuff?

I must have been lucky with the blade that came with my Mikita saw. The cut quality is very good, equal to a freshly sharpened blade on my tablesaw. I just finished breaking down sheets of Melamine, and can’t believe how clean the cuts are...as good as my dedicated Melamine blade for the TS, with almost zero chipout.

Jamil, do you find the Festool connectors really keep 2 sections of your Mikita rails properly aligned? My results when using a single Mikita connector are not satisfactory. The options are to buy a second Makita connector, a set of Festool or other third party connectors, or the most expensive option of buying a long enough track to span 8 feet. I’m hoping I can avoid the last option.

Jim Becker
12-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Tim, I think that two connectors are pretty much going to be the only way to hopefully maintain fine alignment between two joined tracks. Only one provides a pivot point.

roger wiegand
12-26-2020, 12:29 PM
I've been using the Festool track for about three years now, never tried a clamp and never seemed to need it. They just stay put remarkably well. Not having to mess with clamps seems (for me) to be the huge, and primary, advantage of a track saw over a clamped on guide rail. Makes the whole process about 10 x faster.

For long cuts I use two pieces of track joined with one connector. Because the track is wide, even though there is a pivot point, in practice it doesn't pivot because it is wedged, plus it would be very obvious if it did. The caveat may be that my saw is used by one person in a shop and doesn't get bounced around in the back of a pickup truck and get used by a dozen different folks who exhibit varying levels of care in it's handling. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either.

Jim Matthews
12-26-2020, 12:31 PM
I have an ancient EZSmart track that has integrated clamps. It looks like the Matchfit clamps would fit the same channel.

Bernie Kopfer
12-26-2020, 5:08 PM
I have the Makita track saw and tracks. Dewalt clamps fit perfectly and are a lot less expensive.

jamil mehdi
12-26-2020, 5:26 PM
Jamil, do you find the Festool connectors really keep 2 sections of your Mikita rails properly aligned? My results when using a single Mikita connector are not satisfactory. The options are to buy a second Makita connector, a set of Festool or other third party connectors, or the most expensive option of buying a long enough track to span 8 feet. I’m hoping I can avoid the last option.

I'm pretty happy with the overall straightness of the Makita tracks joined with the Festool connectors. I have 3 55" tracks. Two that are joined permanently (because that was cheaper than buying the single long track) and a third that I use for a short track. When I first connected them, I was pretty meticulous about making sure they were straight, now I just do a cursory check before using it. For my purposes, it's straight enough, but I'm mostly straight-lining rough lumber or ripping down sheets of plywood and in both scenarios, they will both be cleaned up later at the table saw.

I would definitely use two connectors. A single connector just isn't an option.

Tim Andrews
12-26-2020, 8:33 PM
I'm pretty happy with the overall straightness of the Makita tracks joined with the Festool connectors. I have 3 55" tracks. Two that are joined permanently (because that was cheaper than buying the single long track) and a third that I use for a short track. When I first connected them, I was pretty meticulous about making sure they were straight, now I just do a cursory check before using it. For my purposes, it's straight enough, but I'm mostly straight-lining rough lumber or ripping down sheets of plywood and in both scenarios, they will both be cleaned up later at the table saw.

I would definitely use two connectors. A single connector just isn't an option.

Thanks Jamil. I’m definitely going to try a set of new connectors. I was looking on Amazon at the Festool, and came across these from Powertec. Less than half the price, and good reviewes. I think I’ll give these a shot, and can always return them easily since I’m on Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71358-Guide-Connector-Premium/dp/B07RF6ST36/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZS8uu7zCNRo1pPBjJoiGlKwgNujPUV4AMOt5KhANv42ZJYup1U mxxBoCKAUQAvD_BwE&hvadid=410083542713&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9031954&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5311317457653839008&hvtargid=kwd-61257306542&hydadcr=8460_11337759&keywords=festool+track+connector&qid=1609032141&sr=8-12&tag=googhydr-20

Warren Wilson
12-27-2020, 12:07 AM
Well, I sometimes use the DeWalt clamps with my DeWalt. Nice when needed, but because of their design, they have become a real go-to for a lot of other tasks — one long, thin, flat finger on a clamp that can be operated with one hand. In particular, I use them to clamp workpieces to jigs (OK, fixtures).

Jim Dwight
12-27-2020, 4:55 PM
I clamp when I can but sometimes it would be pretty tough to arrange things so I can clamp. Sometimes I clamp one end. When I cannot clamp, I try to be sure to use a brush to clean dust off the workpiece and the back of the track. I think the track stays put significantly better is the surfaces are not all dusty.

Tim Andrews
12-31-2020, 11:16 PM
Just a quick follow up that might help someone here; I received the Powertec connectors for my Makita track saw, and they are far superior to those made by Makita. Instead of 2 flimsy pieces of metal that must be correctly aligned with each other, these are one solid piece that is much more secure. I’m very happy with the quality of my Makita track saw in every other aspect, but the rail connectors are poorly designed. The Powetec’s are so inexpensive it’s a no-brained:
https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71358-Guide-Connector-Premium/dp/B07RF6ST36/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZS8uu7zCNRo1pPBjJoiGlKwgNujPUV4AMOt5KhANv42ZJYup1U mxxBoCKAUQAvD_BwE&hvadid=410083542713&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9031954&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5311317457653839008&hvtargid=kwd-61257306542&hydadcr=8460_11337759&keywords=festool+track+connector&qid=1609032141&sr=8-12&tag=googhydr-20

Jim Dwight
01-01-2021, 7:09 PM
Another tip I got off an Izzy Swan youtube. He tried a Wen track saw which he generally liked but when he joined the tracks, it was hard to get them straight. He checked and one track was not cut square. So he squared it on his CMS and it worked a lot better. Shouldn't be necessary but seems like something to check.

andy bessette
01-02-2021, 12:24 AM
Have the Festool track saw. Clamps are absolutely unnecessary.

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2021, 4:32 AM
A little off topic, but someone posted these home made track clamps here a while back. (I'd credit them properly but cant remember who came up with this. Sorry!) I thought they were clever. I haven't made a set because I already bought the Dewalt clamps.

Jim Becker
01-02-2021, 4:01 PM
Have the Festool track saw. Clamps are absolutely unnecessary.

I agree with that...95% of the time. There have been a few circumstances where clamping the track was helpful or even required due to the working conditions, etc. So it's good to have them and not need them most of the time. :)

Glenn Lewis
01-03-2021, 9:12 AM
I have a Makita track saw with 2 55" Makita rails and factory Makita connectors.

When i bought it a couple years ago I thought a lot about clamps but decided to wait since a couple reviews i had seen said they were unnecessary. I use my saw a lot (mostly for breaking down sheet goods but often for ripping rough sawn lumber to manageable width for my jointer). i think this thread marks the first time I've thought about clamps since i was shopping for it. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're unnecessary since there may very well situations where you want/need them, but i have never personally found that i need them. Even on the rough texture and not yet flat surface of a rough sawn board i find the tracks stay put.

(I did upgrade to a Freud blade. No huge issues with Makita blade, but i do prefer the freud)

Dave Sabo
01-04-2021, 9:54 AM
There should probably be a lit of "compatible" clamps for use with festool / makita tracks. I know (or have on good authority ) that these work:

festool
makita
dewalt
metabo
bessey
powertec
trition
wen

I've been told the microjig clamps work with a bit of filing.
I also think the bosch / mafell clamps work, but am waiting on confirmation.

Don't overlook the festool fs-rapid clamp. I find it handy in some situations.

Someone mentioned Tenyru blades. It's my understanding they make makita's OEM blades.

Freud has 165mm / 20 arbor blade. Not avaialable in the USA , but can be sourced from England without much trouble should you desire one. I do beleive it was here years ago, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Chris Schoenthal
01-04-2021, 10:37 AM
I have the Kreg ACS and have been looking for clamps.
One viable option that I found is a new product by Bessey, the EZR clamp (https://www.woodpeck.com/bessey-ezr-clamps.html).
I like that it's also able to be used as a long reach clamp.
Only issue is finding it someplace other than WP. It was a lot cheaper on Amazon, but now out-of-stock.