PDA

View Full Version : Festool Midi or CT26 Dust Extractor

John Goodin
12-23-2020, 1:47 PM
I am strictly a hobbyist and going to buy a Festool dust extractor and would like advice about which model -- Midi or CT26. The overall capacity is a non-issue. The $100 price difference is also a non-issue. The control panels are different and I am not sure if that is due to the Midi being new version/model. The CT26 also has more available accessories but I am not sure if any of these are worthwhile. Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

Mike Kees
12-23-2020, 3:59 PM
I am curious how this thread will go ,I am looking at this same question on these Festool dust extractors.

Rich Markiewicz
12-23-2020, 6:25 PM
Hi John - I have a 2018 version CT26. I like it a lot, it pretty much lives hooked up to my Kapex, the auto-start on tool start is real handy. I added the blue-tooth module for when I am using it with other tools. For me, the blue-tooth remote start is a game-changer "never go back" feature. It is very handy with sanders, etc.
My CT26 does not have the filter cleaning function. I use an Oneida separator when I'm creating a lot of dust. Festool also now makes a separator. The newer style smooth hoses are a big improvement over the old ribbed hoses.
I have no experience with the Midi, just what I've seen on YouTube. Check out Sedge on "Festool Fridays". I would buy the CT26 again. If you post this question on FOG, I'm guessing you'll get lots of replies. Good luck with your decision ! -Rich

Phillip Mitchell
12-23-2020, 9:56 PM
I have a MIDI that I bought a year or so back from the refurbished Festool mailing list (does this still happen?) It was around $425 if I remember correctly and works perfectly for me. I'm a professional and use it both in my shop hooked up to sander and/or router as well as for some selective on site sanding work, but never for general clean up / shop vac duty. The relatively small size and light weight nature of the Midi makes it perfect for on site work and the capacity has never been a limitation to me.

I see no good reason to go bigger and more $$ personally, but I tend to stretch my budget $$ as much as possible and try and get the best bang for my buck, especially when I'm spending $500 on a vac. There may reasons I haven't considered or that don't apply to me and my usage that make one of the larger vacs worthy of the larger $$, but I'm very happy with my Midi. I also have an old R2D2 style round Fein Turbo II that's probably 15-20 years old and still in great shape, excepting the noise suppressing foam that has mostly deteriorated and fallen out over time, making it a bit louder than the Festool. I like and use them both, though I've taken to using the Fein as more of a jobsite "dust collector" connected to a Dust Deputy and hooked to a jobsite table saw and miter saw with Rousseau dust hood. It does pretty well at this all things considered, but really doesn't have enough CFM with 2 1/2" flex hose to be 100% effective. The Festool is more refined for sanding with the anti static hose, adjustable suction, a bit better mobility and tool well in the top.

Derek Cohen
12-24-2020, 12:37 AM
I went through a bunch of lower end vacs before purchasing possibly the same Fein that Phillip mentions. It was an excellent vac: reasonably quiet, good suction, and auto-on feature. The only feature I disliked, and disliked a LOT, was the round body. This made the machine difficult to move around - always tripping over its own many wheels - and then difficult to park in a corner.

When I finally blew up the circuit board after about 10 years, I looked around for a replacement, and this was the Festool CT26E. I have had the CT26E around 5 or 6 years, and it does all the Fein did and more. Same features as the Fein, but the shape makes better storage and, of course, it is part of a system, which means for one that containers can be stacked on top. The result is a compact unit. I have the Oneida ultimate dust deputy connected. The combination is awesome. This dovetails with a range of power tools (router, sander, domino, biscuit) to make for a cleaner, safer environment.

https://i.postimg.cc/TY039Ycg/DD2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Sloan
12-24-2020, 5:27 AM
I went through a bunch of lower end vacs before purchasing possibly the same Fein that Phillip mentions. It was an excellent vac: reasonably quiet, good suction, and auto-on feature. The only feature I disliked, and disliked a LOT, was the round body. This made the machine difficult to move around - always tripping over its own many wheels - and then difficult to park in a corner.

When I finally blew up the circuit board after about 10 years, I looked around for a replacement, and this was the Festool CT26E. I have had the CT26E around 5 or 6 years, and it does all the Fein did and more. Same features as the Fein, but the shape makes better storage and, of course, it is part of a system, which means for one that containers can be stacked on top. The result is a compact unit. I have the Oneida ultimate dust deputy connected. The combination is awesome. This dovetails with a range of power tools (router, sander, domino, biscuit) to make for a cleaner, safer environment.

https://i.postimg.cc/TY039Ycg/DD2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, in another thread I had just asked about whether the dust deputy you have would latch on to the Festool CT 15 which I am told it doesn’t. So your set up with the CT 26 is what I am strongly considering. My question to you is, do you think the Oneida/CT 26 combination is better than pairing the Festool cyclone with theCT 26? I have always appreciated your valuable comments and superb photos. Thanks, David in Kentucky (who once lived on the other side of Australia!)

Joe Hendershott
12-24-2020, 6:54 AM
I have both. I bought the Midi first since it was smaller and was carrying back and forth to a house we were building. It't for that, and using with something that makes less dust like sanding. Using with the saws and router it fills up fast. Bought the 26 so I could leave one on the miter saw and move the other around. For me the decision would depend on having to transport one much. The Midi is nice and light and easy to carry and the bigger one more suited for the shop use only people. Both are quiet and work great so size is really the only factor.

Dave Sabo
12-24-2020, 7:38 AM
The answer to your question really boils down to size and or probability. If you’re mobile , then the Midi is going to win out.

When you say more accessories , I presume you mean the boom arm. So you prob. don’t need portability.

Curious, why do want or feel you need a separator ?

Dan Friedrichs
12-24-2020, 9:09 AM
I had an older Mini and now a 26. Looks like the new Midi and the 26 are fairly similar, except for size.

I don't like how the hose inlet on the mini/midi is in the "hose garage" - just had a feeling of "cheap" to me. The 26 seems more substantial, well-built, and seemed to have a more-pleasing design (to me).

Also consider replacement bags - there are aftermarket bags for the 26 that cost ~$5, but not sure about the Midi.

Rod Sheridan
12-24-2020, 9:16 AM
Hi, I have a Midi and a CT26.

The 26 stays in the shop, the Midi goes where required, it has the same features yet it's lighter and more compact.

It's not just the weight of the vacuum, the Festool vacuum's pack the dust bag so densely it's like removing a bag of concrete mix when you change them. That really adds to the weight if you're lugging them up stairs.

Regards, Rod.

John Goodin
12-24-2020, 9:37 AM
The answer to your question really boils down to size and or probability. If you’re mobile , then the Midi is going to win out.

When you say more accessories , I presume you mean the boom arm. So you prob. don’t need portability.

Curious, why do want or feel you need a separator ?

Dave,
Another creeker, who is in the same position, is interested in the separator. I, however, any not. A sander is my only Festool piece and will soon add a Domino and eventually a router or two. That will probably be the extent of my festool collection. The dust deputy takes a lot of vertical space and as a hobbyist I can get by with just emptying the bag.

Jim Becker
12-24-2020, 9:45 AM
Same level of performance so I'd do the Midi. If my old CT-22 ever gives up the ghost (it runs like new....) I'd replace it with the Midi since I only use the unit for extraction from tools; never for "cleanup" and storage capacity for material picked up really doesn't factor in.

Derek Cohen
12-24-2020, 11:14 AM
Derek, in another thread I had just asked about whether the dust deputy you have would latch on to the Festool CT 15 which I am told it doesn’t. So your set up with the CT 26 is what I am strongly considering. My question to you is, do you think the Oneida/CT 26 combination is better than pairing the Festool cyclone with theCT 26? I have always appreciated your valuable comments and superb photos. Thanks, David in Kentucky (who once lived on the other side of Australia!)

Hi David

I was considering getting the Festool cyclone unit when a friend advised me against it. He has both units, and uses them in a professional shop, that is, on a daily basis. In his opinion (which I respect), the Festool cyclone is about 10% less effective than the Oneida. I think that it also has less capacity.

The other feature I really like about the Oneida unit is that it can be lined with a bag. There is a valve which equalises pressure to prevent the bag being sucked into the outlet. This is unique to Oneida.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eric Schmid
12-24-2020, 11:32 AM
Why not the CT15? It’s presence seems to go against the usual simple marketing of Festool, so it’s a bit difficult to determine how it differs from the midi. As best I can tell it doesn’t offer sustainer lock in and may not offer an anti static hose. I’ve seen them at the local dealer, but since I’m stocked up on dust extractors I haven’t inquired. The price is a lot more compelling.

Anyone know how the CT15 differs from the midi?

I’ve owned a 26 for almost a decade. It’s a great machine if you’re rolling around a shop or once you’re already set up at a job site. Not much fun to haul around, but really no machines are. The capacity of the 26 is a good compromise. I wouldn’t want much smaller for shop use.

Michael Drew
12-24-2020, 12:30 PM
I just went through this mental exercise of choosing between the Midi and CT26. The larger unit lost the fight, but only due to my limited shop size (errrr, my 2 car garage). If I had a bit more floor space, the larger vac would have one. Now that I've been using the Midi for a couple months, I have no regrets. It's a great machine, and I roll it under my outfeed table when not in use. It's super light weight and portable, so that will come in handy - I just know that.

So like others have said, if you want one vac for your shop, and you have no real space limitations, get the larger machine. If you want one to haul around with you to different projects, the Midi is the one you want.

I might also add that the hose storage for the Midi is tight. It fits, but I always feel as if I'm cramming it into a closest against its will, and it is an expensive hose should I damage it.

I have not purchased replacement bags yet. I'll be asking for input on that eventually......

John Goodin
12-24-2020, 1:09 PM
Why not the CT15? It’s presence seems to go against the usual simple marketing of Festool, so it’s a bit difficult to determine how it differs from the midi. As best I can tell it doesn’t offer sustainer lock in and may not offer an anti static hose. I’ve seen them at the local dealer, but since I’m stocked up on dust extractors I haven’t inquired. The price is a lot more compelling.

I’ve owned a 26 for almost a decade. It’s a great machine if you’re rolling around a shop or once you’re already set up at a job site. Not much fun to haul around, but really no machines are. The capacity of the 26 is a good compromise. I wouldn’t want much smaller for shop use.

I have used a CT15 and it is a great tool and at $350 most likely the best bang for the buck of any Festool product. The performance specs are the same as the Midi. Storing the hose on top of the unit with a bungy cord is a bit of a hassle and it does not have systainer stackability.

Dave Sabo
12-24-2020, 10:07 PM

ct15 = NO:

anti-static hose

no hose garage

no syatainer stacking ability

no bluetooth trigger

same great taste, less filling :)

Justin Pfenning
12-25-2020, 9:49 PM
This is a fantastic discussion. I'm on the exact same path, Midi or CT26??? I plan to use which ever one I decide on, to collect dust from a 5" and 6" RO sanders, Domino, and routers / track saw in the future. I have a large Onieda cyclone dust collector hooked to my planer, jointer, table saw, band saw, and sliding compound miter saw. The Festool would basically never have to collect chips and dust from them. Here are the pros and cons for each machine as I see it. Please feel free to comment, correct, or debunk any of my pros and cons.

CT26 pro's
1- larger bag capacity resulting in less bag changes
2- larger wheels for easy transport over bumps and cracks
3- likely much more sure footed when stacked with systainers

CT26 con's
1- $100 more than the Midi
2- takes up more floor space
3- I have to spend an additional $80 to retrofit with bluetooth

Midi Pro's
1- $100 cheaper than CT26. Down the road I could use that savings to help purchase a cyclone separator
2- built in bluetooth
3- built in filter clog alert (I'm pretty sure I saw this on a user video, but I haven't seen much mention of it anywhere else)
4- smaller foot print for easier storage

Midi Con's
1- smaller bag capacity
2- smaller wheels requiring smoother terrain, and potentially less stable with systainers on top
3- is there reason to be concerned about the additional electronics on the Midi being problematic down the road?
4- no off the shelf hose boom or push handle options

Questions I have about these machines:

Do they both have the same diameter of hose?
Do they come with any attachments?
Do they come with on board attachment storage?
Can I use both of these units to vacuum out my cars?
Do they both offer easy HEPA filter cleaning to extend it's life?
How often do I have to change the HEPA filter?
Will either of these lose suction if I use them primarily with my RO sanders?

I'm leaning toward the Midi, I think. The additional $100 for the CT26, plus the additional $80 for the bluetooth get's me nearly half way to a cyclone separator in the future. On paper it appears the Midi and the CT26 have basically the same suction, and the same hose diameter and length. I'm using a loaner midi now. It's the older version without bluetooth, and filter monitoring, but seems to be working extremely well with my 6" RO sander and domino.

I'm a little concerned about how hard I've fallen for Festool equipment. :eek:

Dan Friedrichs
12-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Do they both have the same diameter of hose? Yes
Do they come with any attachments? No
Do they come with on board attachment storage? No
Can I use both of these units to vacuum out my cars? Yes
Do they both offer easy HEPA filter cleaning to extend it's life? While the HEPA filters are removable, I'm not sure how/if they are cleaned. I've never seen one dirty.
How often do I have to change the HEPA filter? Not sure.
Will either of these lose suction if I use them primarily with my RO sanders? It's what they're designed for, so not something to be concerned with.

extra characters

Justin Pfenning
12-26-2020, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply Dan.

John Goodin
12-26-2020, 2:14 AM
Justin
The MIDI Bluetooth does not include the hose remote which if IIRC is an additional $35. I think you get this with the $80 CT26 module. I ordered a MIDI today mainly for the smaller footprint. My shop will never get larger and saving space is always a key consideration. Quite frankly, I think I would be just as happy with the 26.

Doug Dawson
12-26-2020, 10:45 AM
I was considering getting the Festool cyclone unit when a friend advised me against it. He has both units, and uses them in a professional shop, that is, on a daily basis. In his opinion (which I respect), the Festool cyclone is about 10% less effective than the Oneida. I think that it also has less capacity.

The other feature I really like about the Oneida unit is that it can be lined with a bag. There is a valve which equalises pressure to prevent the bag being sucked into the outlet. This is unique to Oneida.

I’ve seen reports that indicate that the Festool separator is rather sad performance-wise in comparison with the Oneida Dust Deputy.

My only concern is that on a smaller unit the Oneida on top of it might be a little top-heavy, as the Oneida catches all the debris, and the Festool bag (which you may never change again, haha,) stays rather empty. Those Festool bags are super-expensive, BTW, so that Oneida is darn useful.

Jim Becker
12-26-2020, 10:50 AM
The Bluetooth control is only really "required" if one is using the cordless sanders, etc. Wired tools can use the automatic on/off feature. It is handy, however, if one is using the extrator for cleanup tasks, such as bent over in a vehicle where you can't physically reach the vac and still want to cycle on/off for convenience as you root for that nasty rotten apple under a seat or something. :)

Dave Sabo
12-26-2020, 9:47 PM
Justin - read your decesion matrix with some interest.

Couple of questions :

on the 26 -
why is less bag changes necessarily a plus ? more capacity= more weight tocarry around.

do you anticipate moving the vac ove a lot of cracky and bu,py surfaces ? I don't think either is well suited to that.

Midi - why does a separator appeal to you ?

Bobby Robbinett
12-27-2020, 7:53 AM
I wouldn’t buy a Mini or MIDI due to the optional accessories not being compatible. I would go for the CT15 over them due to the cost savings.

I am struggling over the same choices. I need a dust extractor to dedicate to sanding only in the shop. The CT15 will probably be my choice due to price.

The CT 15, the CT midi and the CT mini can’t use the boom arm, or the dust deputy attachment. The boom arm is a big deal for me since it will be dedicated to sanding in the shop only. But at just under $500 for the boom arm alone then another $600+ for the CT26 is a big pill to swallow.

I could however just get the CT15 and build a diy vertical beam for the hose and save a lot of money. I would also have to rig up a dust deputy separator as Sami g dust only would benefit from it, I would imagine.

Justin Pfenning
12-27-2020, 9:57 AM
Bobby, what accessories are not compatible? I thought only the boom arm and the add on handle were not compatible with Mini/Midi/CT15. I thought the dust deputy and Festool cyclone separator would both fit on the Midi.

Regarding the CT15 and sanding, I didn't give it much consideration due to the hose not being anti-static. It gets dry here in the winter, and static is a real concern. Also, no hose garage is a big downside for me on CT15.

Dave Sabo
12-27-2020, 1:40 PM
I wouldn’t buy a Mini or MIDI due to the optional accessories not being compatible. I would go for the CT15 over them due to the cost savings.

Might want to re-word that. Makes it sound as if the CT15 is compatible - which of course it's not. Even less so.

Lots of solutions (arguably better) exist for fixed base boom arms. Like this quick & dirty + cheap solution on a midi:

Why do you feel the need for a separator or what do you hope to gain from one ? For sanding, I feel it's a complete waste.

If you're budget sensitive; there are other vacs with similar specs that compare with the enntry level ct15-

Fein turboI - more capacity , $60 cheaper
https://www.rockler.com/fein-turbo-i?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&tid=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpfP-86ru7QIVyaeGCh0Qyg3-EAQYBCABEgISpPD_BwE

Karcher - more capacity ,$125 cheaper even after you upgrade the iffy hose
https://www.toolbarn.com/karcher-1-348-197-0.html/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuqvGxOPu7QIVFopaBR1xEgktEAQYAiA BEgK-Q_D_BwE

CT15 has no advantages over these vacs that I can see other than as a status symbol.

Justin Pfenning
12-27-2020, 9:50 PM
Dave, I'm only considering the separator for future use with a track saw or router. I'd use it without the separator till I add dust collection from those tools. I think I've settled on the Midi, but now I may put the vacuum on pause, and get a 5" RO sander and the angle sanding attachment for a project I'm working on. I can hang onto my loaner Midi for a while, so I'm still covered for dust and chip collection. The 5" sander would make my life much easier on this project.

Dave Sabo
12-28-2020, 10:02 PM
The 5" sander would make my life much easier on this project.

THAT is an excellent reason to purchase a tool . :)

Dan Friedrichs
01-03-2021, 12:25 PM
I didn't realize they are also making a new version of the Mini that has all the updates that the Midi has:
https://www.festoolusa.com/products/dust-extraction/mobile-dust-extractors/574845---ct-mini-i-hepa-usa

And it's $50 cheaper than the Midi.

If you're leaning towards the Midi (for the smaller size/weight), why not the Mini?

(BTW, I didn't realize the extra vent on the side is so you can hook up the hose as use it as a blower. That's kind neat...)

Bobby Robbinett
01-04-2021, 6:59 AM
Might want to re-word that. Makes it sound as if the CT15 is compatible - which of course it's not. Even less so.

Lots of solutions (arguably better) exist for fixed base boom arms. Like this quick & dirty + cheap solution on a midi:

Why do you feel the need for a separator or what do you hope to gain from one ? For sanding, I feel it's a complete waste.

If you're budget sensitive; there are other vacs with similar specs that compare with the enntry level ct15-

Fein turboI - more capacity , $60 cheaper
https://www.rockler.com/fein-turbo-i?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&tid=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpfP-86ru7QIVyaeGCh0Qyg3-EAQYBCABEgISpPD_BwE

Karcher - more capacity ,$125 cheaper even after you upgrade the iffy hose
https://www.toolbarn.com/karcher-1-348-197-0.html/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuqvGxOPu7QIVFopaBR1xEgktEAQYAiA BEgK-Q_D_BwE

CT15 has no advantages over these vacs that I can see other than as a status symbol.

Dave, I can’t see the link you posted about the quick and dirty fixed boom arm. I keep meaning to sign up to be a paying member but I haven’t gotten around to it and likely won’t have time for a few more days. Care to post the link where I can view it for now?

For that matter, does anyone else have any ideas, pics or suggestions for a fixed boom arm? Not trying to high jack the op’s thread.

George Yetka
01-04-2021, 4:08 PM
the Midi has 10%less cfm. Not sure if thats critical for you, or anyone. I run my 26 like 75%power So the midi would work

Matt Day
01-04-2021, 10:57 PM
I’m also interested in this thread. But can we open it up to other manufacturers? Festool can’t be the only game in town. Bosch, Metabo, Flex?

Jim Becker
01-05-2021, 8:55 AM
I’m also interested in this thread. But can we open it up to other manufacturers? Festool can’t be the only game in town. Bosch, Metabo, Flex?

Folks can mention whatever they wish, but the OP was asking about the differences between two Festool units.

Matt Day
01-05-2021, 9:12 AM
I know, guess I’ll start another thread.

Dave Sabo
01-05-2021, 9:54 PM
Dave, I can’t see the link you posted about the quick and dirty fixed boom arm. I keep meaning to sign up to be a paying member but I haven’t gotten around to it and likely won’t have time for a few more days. Care to post the link where I can view it for now?

I hate to sound crass , but no.

if you have time to come here and view this thread , you have more than enough time time make a few more keystrokes and part with $6 bucks to see the pics and access the classifieds.

Even if you don’t deem my boom arm pic worth the admission price , this site might just be the best value on the interweb going. And if you disagree with that , this is a worthy charity , and one of the lowest cost an most efficientLy run out out there, so there’s really no excuse if you’re going to pull you weight.

Another way to look at is : for admission you won’t get bombarded with popups for polyglycoat , insurance , or whatever else someone on your internet feed looked at in the last 5 minutes. That’s practically priceless.

Think it’s safe to say , we”d love to have you on board.

Dan Friedrichs
01-30-2021, 10:37 AM
Bumping this thread...

The new CT Midi and Mini (which have cord storage and other features not in the original Midi's and Mini's) look really attractive, and I'm thinking of replacing my CT26 with one.

The hangup I have is that I usually use the D36 hose, since you get so much more airflow in the larger diameter. But it looks like the Midi uses a right-angle fitting on the vac side of the hose, and they don't make a D36 hose with that right angle fitting? Also, I wonder if the D36 hose fits in the hose garage? (it does fit on the CT26).

Anyone know?

Or for those with Midis, do you just use the smaller hose?

Tony Shea
01-30-2021, 11:22 AM
Bumping this thread...

The new CT Midi and Mini (which have cord storage and other features not in the original Midi's and Mini's) look really attractive, and I'm thinking of replacing my CT26 with one.

The hangup I have is that I usually use the D36 hose, since you get so much more airflow in the larger diameter. But it looks like the Midi uses a right-angle fitting on the vac side of the hose, and they don't make a D36 hose with that right angle fitting? Also, I wonder if the D36 hose fits in the hose garage? (it does fit on the CT26).

Anyone know?

Or for those with Midis, do you just use the smaller hose?

I use and own the Midi. The hoses do not use a 90deg fitting to attach to the vac. Inside the hose garage the hose goes straight down into its connection using a straight connector. I use the D36 hose almost exclusively with the Midi with no issue. It comes out of the hose garage slightly tight but the lid closes with no problem. I love my Midi!!

The only thing that I have issue with the Midi is the fact I don't think I could use the Onieda dust deputy that Derek is using on his CT26. I don't think that hose would reach the Midi's connection point, I would need to build a custom hose that worked.

Dan Friedrichs
01-30-2021, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Tony! Maybe I'm getting confused and only the "old style" Mini used that right angle hose?

Any insight into why you chose the Midi over the Mini?