PDA

View Full Version : carcass is assembled.

Brian Runau
12-22-2020, 1:08 PM
mission style dresser is glued up, I never feel I will have enough open time when I glue this many joints at one time.

Brian

Christian Hawkshaw
12-22-2020, 4:54 PM
Looks like good progress...Did you glue up the entire carcass in one pass or in multiple stages? I will typically glue up the sides in one pass, then the front and back rails to the sides. Even that can be stressful with that many joints.

Brian Runau
12-23-2020, 7:36 AM
Looks like good progress...Did you glue up the entire carcass in one pass or in multiple stages? I will typically glue up the sides in one pass, then the front and back rails to the sides. Even that can be stressful with that many joints.

I did the sides first and then joined them, but the glue seemed pretty dry by then, but seems to have taken quite a while. Need to get some hyde glue for this. thanks brian

Christian Hawkshaw
12-23-2020, 4:00 PM
I did the sides first and then joined them, but the glue seemed pretty dry by then, but seems to have taken quite a while. Need to get some hyde glue for this. thanks brian

For clarification, for each section I glue up, I will clamp and let dry(usually over night). This reduces the number of joints to glue at one time. Even so, if I will use an extended open time glue if there are a lot of joints. Most recently I have been using Tite Bond II Extend.

In the below pic, this is the last glue up of the carcass. I previously glued up the sides and the drawer divider sections.

Brian Runau
12-23-2020, 4:55 PM
For clarification, for each section I glue up, I will clamp and let dry(usually over night). This reduces the number of joints to glue at one time. Even so, if I will use an extended open time glue if there are a lot of joints. Most recently I have been using Tite Bond II Extend.

In the below pic, this is the last glue up of the carcass. I previously glued up the sides and the drawer divider sections.

I use the titebond II green I think, but it was pretty dry and some of the tenons had started to swell a little. It went together, just makes me nervous when the glue is that dry when I start applying pressure on the clamps. Worked though. Brian