PDA

View Full Version : Bowl/Hollow form Steady Rest

Jim Ketron
01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
As most of you know I like to build my own tools and accessories when I can, and I have been putting off building this rest for a while. I was at the point doing all the hollow forms lately where it was a necessary item on the deep hollow forms to help keep the HF from being riped off the chuck, and also helping reduce chatter. I have built Mr. Big Mike Stafford a 4 wheeled steady and he informed me the design of the last one was bulky and needed to be reduced somehow ( it was square) Me and Mr. Travis Stinson had been talking in chat about what could be done to reduce the size and bulk of the original Steady and he come up with the great idea of making it a octagon shape. That has been over 10 months ago and I have been putting this off for that long:o Travis beat me to the punch, and already made his, He said it works great so I decided to go with his design:D
I have already used it and It works wonderful!
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Steadyrest.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Steadyrest2.jpg

Dick Parr
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Great Job Jim, I was wondering what design you would end up with. That one looks like a winner.;) Have fun with it.

Oh ya, who is that strang looking guy looking in your window?

Travis Stinson
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Mighty fine job Jim!:D
Makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?:cool:

John Hart
01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Very Cool Jim!...Nice design Travis!

I just bought a steady rest but I fear it's too small to handle some future ideas. Wish I knew how to weld. I don't suppose Elmers will work huh.:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Very Cool Jim!...Nice design Travis!

I just bought a steady rest but I fear it's too small to handle some future ideas. Wish I knew how to weld. I don't suppose Elmers will work huh.:rolleyes:

Me too, John! Think of all the neat stuff we could make if we could weld! I just bought the Oneway Steady, but I think pieces need support from both sides. I'm not going to buy a second one. I would rather pay Jim or Travis to make one of their superior ones for me. (Hint, hint):D

Ernie Nyvall
01-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Man, that really looks great Jim and Travis.

Is that tubing or bar stock?

Ernie

Sparky Paessler
01-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I saw it in person tonight at the local turning club meeting and it is extreamly well made. I think 2/3's of the club members wanted one. (including me!) I agree with Carole and John. I need to learn to weld!

sascha gast
01-04-2006, 5:36 AM
that looks awesome Jim. I have the Clark steady and like it, your looks so very similar in design.
I had a long chat with Keith Clark www.theokspindoctor.com about the 3 or 4 wheel design, he said he tried the 4 wheel in the past but a guy he made one for didn't like it.
let me know how it works for you, sure wish I could weld sometimes

sascha

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-04-2006, 6:08 AM
Hey that looks cool!

I always wondered how the larger pieces were made, I figured you would have to have a VERY light touch to not break them, now I know better.

Geez Jim, you even took the time to paint it! :D

I never seem to do that.

All you folks who want to learn how to weld, I have a suggestion, buy a MIG welder, and use the gas bottle, not the flux core stuff.

It is SO EASY to weld with a MIG welder, it is embarrassing.... :o

I learned a LONG time ago, but with the new MIG welders, it is EASY to do this kind of welding. We are not talking about welding up the space shuttle here. :D

The other thing you should do if you can, is to take a course at your local collage, most offer night courses.

Anyways, back to Jim's steady rest, are those in-line skate wheels?

Very cool and a very cool idea!!

Geez, I need to get a lathe..... ;)

John Hart
01-04-2006, 6:45 AM
...Geez, I need to get a lathe..... ;)

The vortex is tugging at another one!!! ;) :D

Andy Hoyt
01-04-2006, 5:30 PM
If I had a nickle for every time I passed on a project because I don't know squat about metalwork and welding, I'd probably have enough money to buy all the crapola one needs to do metalworking and welding. Instead, I've spent 456 times that amount on various wooden work-arounds or paying for something to be done.

Side note for Richard Stewart: Take the shop class, all of 'em.

Jim - That is an extremely cool device and I want one. Now! So, have you thought about ......

Kurt Rosenzweig
08-08-2006, 4:40 PM
Sorry for resurecting this old thread but i'm in the middle of stealing your idea Jim! Hope you dont mind! :D I have the octagon all welded together out of 2x2 box and planning on stealing a roller blade or 2 after the kids go to bed tonight! LOL!!:D Is there anything that you would change Jim? I figure if I'm gonna steal I might as well do it right! LOL!

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2006, 5:08 PM
Great job Jim and Travis. Well there is another project when I get caught up with you two. Sheeesssh.

Keith Burns
08-08-2006, 5:29 PM
Yup, seen a few of these floating around. They are great for sure. Someday when I get a welder, learn how to weld, get some steel, get some bolts and nuts, get some skate wheels, get some..............oh just forget about it:D

Ed Breen
08-08-2006, 9:09 PM
Well you've convinced me. I'm signing up for a beginning blacksmith class at the Tulsa VocTech. Its on Wednesday nights. Plous I already have an old forge from my "hoarding" days.
Ed;)

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2006, 9:43 PM
Looks great Jim. You guys make me jeaulous with your tool making. Nice job.

corey

Curt Fuller
08-08-2006, 9:52 PM
Man, these Southern Boy are not only great turners but also great inventors and fabricators.