PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Info. on old wood tools

Ron Fritz
01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I wonder if anyone can direct me to some good sources to help identify an old wood brace and bits and its potential value. There is no manufacture label on the brace. The bits are spoon shaped. I also have a plow plane by S. Wells in Northampton that I would like to get a rough value on as well as an idea of when it would have been manufactured. Pictures are below. Additional pictures are here. http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/CSWS-Workshop.htm
Thanks for your help. Ron

Tyler Howell
01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Ron those look worn out and dirty. Better send them to me for disposal:rolleyes: . I'll send you a few bucks so you can get some more of the tailed tools.
Nice shop;)

Ron Fritz
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Tyler; It must have been all those years of use that got them all warn out and dirty. I wish I knew more of their history. I think they would tell an interesting story. Ron

Cliff Ahlgren
01-04-2006, 1:30 PM
I'll be interested in opinions on what that plow plane is worth. There is an almost identical plane for sale at an antique store near me but I couldn't see the price (it was in a case). A couple years ago I got a Swan 3/4" paring chisel from that place and the tag said:

"Chisel with duck stamp - $5"

Dave Anderson NH
01-04-2006, 5:15 PM
The brace is a British Sheffield style brace though it could have been also made either here in the US or in Canada. Some of these brassed braces in good condition and from the right maker can sell for between $100-$500. I would try and contact either Ben Knebble or Doug Evan at Shepherd Tool in Fergus Ontario. They both collect English tools and if you supply them with the makers name and any other identifying marks they might be able to identify it for you.

The plow plane is a of a fairly common type. There were many makers in the eastern US during the 1800s. If a common model made by a common maker it is probably worth between $50-150.

Rick Whitehead
01-04-2006, 7:54 PM
Are you sure the plane was made by "S. Wells?"
There was a Henry Wells who made planes in Northhampton and Williamsburg, Mass, from 1847-56, but I couldn't find a reference to a S.Wells in my books on British or American planemakers. His planes are listed as "frequently found."
If you could post a close-up of the marking,it might help to give us more information.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Ron Fritz
01-04-2006, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the information Dave. The brace had no markings on it that I could see, so I have no idea who made it. I have 6 bits for it. By the way, I just took the opportunity to view your Chester Toolworks web page. Nice looking projects and great looking set of hand tools. I really like the plane till that you made. Ron

Ron Fritz
01-04-2006, 8:02 PM
Rick; you are correct. The S. Wells is a typo error. The maker is Henry S. Wells. It is stamped H. Wells, Northampton, No. 87 on the front. Thanks