PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers

James McCarthy
12-20-2020, 8:15 PM
Here is what I believe to be a fun or interesting question. Given that money is of no consideration (yes, I do live in a make believe world) and that you are currently not an owner of any Woodpecker tools, what would be the one tool you would buy first? Would it be a six inch square or a variant length? Would it be a combination square? Please let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas, recommendation etc.

Jim

glenn bradley
12-20-2020, 8:40 PM
A 'classic' PRL version 1 router lift :).

Jerry Bruette
12-20-2020, 9:05 PM
Their saddle square that folds. I have one from Lee Valley but it doesn't fold and I think that would be a handy feature.

Steve Eure
12-20-2020, 9:43 PM
Delve square. Or maybe the Paolini Pocket Rule. I have both and use them everyday in my shop. Have a few other red tools that don't see much daylight nor sawdust.

Ron Selzer
12-20-2020, 9:52 PM
Center rule set have a 36" one now and really like it
Ron

James McCarthy
12-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Great suggestions. I have the small Incra saddle square and it is a love hate relationship. It does work and it does a great job but even using the Incra mechanical pencil I still break off the lead quite frequently. I also have the flexible Incra Center finder, which I do like. I may have answered my own question as I build furniture and desks. I am just finishing up make my fourth desk for my grandchildren and on each one I use brass or steel inserts and each time it is problematic. So, I just saw on youtube that Woodpeckers has a cross doweling jig and I think on my next desk or furniture I will get it and use it. Does anyone have any experience with the cross dowel jig?

George Bokros
12-21-2020, 7:19 AM
Their saddle square that folds. I have one from Lee Valley but it doesn't fold and I think that would be a handy feature.

I just looked on Woodpeckers web site and do not find a saddle square that folds

Tony Shea
12-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Here is what I believe to be a fun or interesting question. Given that money is of no consideration (yes, I do live in a make believe world) and that you are currently not an owner of any Woodpecker tools, what would be the one tool you would buy first? Would it be a six inch square or a variant length? Would it be a combination square? Please let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas, recommendation etc.

Jim

If I'm being honest I have never been a intrigued by Woodpecker's tools. They all look very clunky and most appear to be made of aluminum. If I was going to spend the money, and I have, I would much prefer to spend it on a different brand. I own Starrett squares, all the combination sizes and my absolute favorite is the No. 55. The No 55 has beveled edges which enables me to see 90deg with a light source behind the piece very easily. This specific square may not really be practical in most shops due to price but I happened to pick this square up used at The Tool Barn in Bar Harbor Maine for very cheap. I was basically unused and was still unbelievably square. This is the square the stays on my bench at all times.

If I was in the market for a good square I would most likely pick up a Vesper Try Square. This IMO is the best square on the market for woodworkers by far.

If cost and wait times are an issue I would even look at Bridge City, Blue Spruce (even though Woodpeckers now own them), and Hillview.

kent borcherding
12-21-2020, 11:22 AM
I am a long time woodworker , and buy 90% of my tools from Lee Valley - best great service . Never been disappointed of anything purchased from them.

ChrisA Edwards
12-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Delve Square is my most used Woodpeckers tool.

Frank Pratt
12-21-2020, 11:27 AM
I've been interested by the 660 mm square, but only if it were half the price they charge. It being aluminum is also a strike against it.

I'd like to have a large precision square that has one leg thicker to register against the work piece.

jamil mehdi
12-21-2020, 12:24 PM
The rip-flip fence stops for table saws looks good to me. Having two or three permanent stops for routinely used dimensions would be great for repeatability. Especially the dado stops for dialing in plywood-thickness dadoes.

Robert Hayward
12-21-2020, 12:29 PM
A 'classic' PRL version 1 router lift :).

Why the V1 and not current V2?

Jerry Bruette
12-21-2020, 1:20 PM
I just looked on Woodpeckers web site and do not find a saddle square that folds

Oops might have been Bridge City

Jim Dwight
12-21-2020, 4:03 PM
I also like the rip-flip fence stops and it seems less over priced than most Woodpeckers tools. I just got delivery of two Banggood's copy of the Woodpecker corner clamps. I'm sure they are not as nice as the Woodpeckers but they were also $40.

Alan Lightstone
12-21-2020, 4:23 PM
I use their pocket T-squares by far most of all.

Jim Becker
12-21-2020, 7:36 PM
I have a few things from Woodpeckers bought over the years, but I don't feel compelled by their stuff. I do like their quality; I just don't feel the need. The largest thing I bought from them was a big layout tee-square about two years ago. I'm actually yet to even use it simply because my work methods changed when I brought my CNC machine into the shop. It looks nice on the wall, however... :)

Curt Putnam
12-21-2020, 7:48 PM
Where their product lines overlap, I would buy Chris Vesper's tools first.

ray grundhoefer
12-21-2020, 7:56 PM
First thing I did buy was their 26 inch framing square. then threw away the other crappy ones I had.

William M Johnson
12-22-2020, 10:42 AM
The 1281 square is used every day.

Will Blick
12-26-2020, 12:35 AM
a lot depends on the type of work you do...
so no single right answer
WP makes unique tools, often, they are the only one that make them...
quality runs from excellent to OK...
their squares are superb, and come in many sizes...
the larger square is a staple for almost anyone who uses large cuts or track saws..
the smaller squares such as 1281 just as good...
having excellent references simplifies many tasks...

Rob Luter
12-26-2020, 7:37 AM
The little Delve square looks very handy.

Justin Rapp
12-26-2020, 8:21 AM
So I shouldn't answer this question as I do have some woodpecker rules, corner clamps, and the drill press table. However if money was really no object, i'd have to say one of their router tables (which is on my want list for years)

roger wiegand
12-26-2020, 8:30 AM
Never been very interested, it seems like gimmickry rather than innovation (compared, say, to the new tools that Lee Valley has introduced). The whole idea of "one time tools", ie tools with such limited utility that you can't sell more than one batch of them, puts me off.

Rod Sheridan
12-26-2020, 9:46 AM
A try square would be my first purchase.....Rod

Bill Carey
12-26-2020, 10:52 AM
If I was going to add a Woodpeckers item it would be the miter clamping tool.

Earl McLain
12-26-2020, 2:01 PM
I lust for their drill press table. Don't know that it would be a tremendous improvement on the one i made--but it sure would look more impressive.
I do us my Delve Square a lot.
earl

Terry Therneau
12-26-2020, 6:16 PM
The Paolini pocket rule is used on every project.

Alan Lightstone
12-27-2020, 9:26 AM
I lust for their drill press table. Don't know that it would be a tremendous improvement on the one i made--but it sure would look more impressive.
earl

Not sure that it is a "tremendous improvement" of my old one (which also was a Woodpeckers), but it is pretty.

David Utterback
12-27-2020, 10:12 AM
earl

I like the drill press table. My wife ran over the first one after ups propped it against the garage door. WP quickly replaced it. I also like their squares which are very accurate. I agree that one-time tools seems a bit gimmicky.

Roger Feeley
12-27-2020, 10:53 AM
I keep a little 3” square in my shop vest pocket. I also keep a very compact utility knife, a 16’ tape and a veritable saddle square.

I really like the WP adjustable bevel gauge with the tightening handle at the end.

Jacob Mac
12-27-2020, 11:12 AM
I really want some of their rulers. They seem much easier to read for me than traditional rulers. But I've never been in a position where I wanted to spend the money.

Jeff Ranck
12-27-2020, 12:23 PM
I have their drill press table (actually, I made a DP table from their hardware kit) and a Paolini rule. The DP table is fine, but it isn't as useful to have all the square fence as I thought it would be. The Paolini rule, on the other hand, is used on virtually every project. Since I've switched my woodworking to metric, I've ordered a metric one and will be replacing my current one with it as soon as it gets here. I have to say I've always had a soft spot for measuring and marking tools.

Although the other tools are interesting, I don't feel like I need any of them. I've been trying to reduce the tools in my shop rather than increase them. :)

Jeff Ranck
12-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Oooh, Jim. I don't want to coopt the thread, but I'd be interested in what CNC machine you brought into your shop.

Michael Drew
12-27-2020, 12:40 PM
The Router sled they sell sure likes like a great set up.

Ryan Yeaglin
12-27-2020, 12:55 PM
Buy Starret if you want a truly precision tool that will last with your grand kids, buy woodpeckers if you want to compete with the you tube sponsored crowd. Aluminum doesn't compare with steel for longevity of use and slight bumping, it dings. Very expensive for what it is...

Earl McLain
12-27-2020, 2:30 PM
I like the drill press table. My wife ran over the first one after ups propped it against the garage door. WP quickly replaced it. I also like their squares which are very accurate. I agree that one-time tools seems a bit gimmicky.

Had to read that twice--still want to make sure i got it...UPS propped the box against the garage door, a family member (no need for titles here) ran over it...and Woodpecker's replaced it?? That's some service--can't see many businesses stepping up like that.
earl