PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong?

Bert Kemp
12-19-2020, 4:49 PM
I want to fill the area around the oval and circle with basket weave. The oval and circle cut lines are yellow the outside and stitch circles are red.I know I have to combine so I can do the fill , but when I do that all the cut lines turn yellow. I need them to stay the colors they are so the red cuts thru and the yellow not cut thru and then I can put logos in the circle and oval.

Kev Williams
12-20-2020, 1:04 AM
Never done this, I tried, and failed like you!

EZ fix however:

Copy your layout, then paste it, then move the copy an exact amount, say 8", to the right
(I'm using blue :) )

Combine the first one, yes all outlines will be red- and basketweave it,
then click it to group it-

then on the color chart, right-click the "X" at the top,
this will un-paint your outlines in the basketweave-

Now just move the RED outlines back 8".
-the blue (yellow) aren't even necessary anymore, and actually, they can
all start out as red!

Now only what you want to cut will cut, and you can put something else in the ovals :)

Bert Kemp
12-20-2020, 1:20 AM
Thanks Kev I've been working on a work around too. Not as good as yours . I made the images green and will cut them lightly I made a new rectangle yellow and over laid the original . I'll cut all lightly then cut the rest by hand . havent tried it yet will give your method a try tomorrow. You always find a way your amazing.
Never done this, I tried, and failed like you!

EZ fix however:

Copy your layout, then paste it, then move the copy an exact amount, say 8", to the right
(I'm using blue :) )

Combine the first one, yes all outlines will be red- and basketweave it,
then click it to group it-

then on the color chart, right-click the "X" at the top,
this will un-paint your outlines in the basketweave-

Now just move the RED outlines back 8".
-the blue (yellow) aren't even necessary anymore, and actually, they can
all start out as red!

Now only what you want to cut will cut, and you can put something else in the ovals :)

Stan Cook
12-20-2020, 4:17 PM
My approach would be to set the nudge to some random number (say 10" or enough to move the yellow completely outside the red) then move the yellow so it is outside. While there, fill it with white, then place any logo or artwork in it, group it, and order it to the front of the page. Go back to the red area and fill it with basketweave. Finally, use the nudge to return the yellow to the red. That should be sufficient if the basketweave will be rastered. But if the basketweave will be vectored, then before moving the yellow back and before filling the basketweave pattern, duplicate the red and nudge the copy in the opposite direction. Also duplicate the yellow as you will need a sacrificial copy to remove some of the basketweave. Fill the original with basketweave then change the outer line to "no outline", subtract the yellow areas to leave a blank in the basketweave, then replace the yellow areas and logo. Finally nudge the red back into place

I am sure there are more efficient means and dozens of other approaches, but that is how I approach those situations that automatically change the color of lines when I don't want them to change.

*Edit: I should note that I use CorelDraw X3. I am not sure if the names of the steps I listed are used in other software or later version of Corel.

Bert Kemp
12-20-2020, 5:15 PM
Awesome Kev worked like a charm and easy to do, Thanks for the instructions, added them to my corel tips folder.
Thanks Kev I've been working on a work around too. Not as good as yours . I made the images green and will cut them lightly I made a new rectangle yellow and over laid the original . I'll cut all lightly then cut the rest by hand . havent tried it yet will give your method a try tomorrow. You always find a way your amazing.