PDA

View Full Version : Had anyone tried Powertec sanding discs?

Dan McGonigle
12-19-2020, 3:47 PM
Time to order more 5” sanding discs. In the past I’ve bought Mirka, but I’m seeing powertec brand for about 30% less. They have “generally” good reviews. Anybody have first hand experience?

Bill Dufour
12-19-2020, 7:45 PM
I looked at a few sites and no where does it have the required country of origin information. So I assume from red China or somewhere else equally known for low quality. If they were made in a real country that makes good stuff they would tell you.

Bill Dufour
12-19-2020, 7:49 PM
A little more research and the only country of origin information I can find is that they are not made in Saudi Arabia and not guaranteed there. I know Saudi Arabia has lots of sand but I have never heard of sandpaper being made there.
Bill D

Zachary Hoyt
12-19-2020, 7:51 PM
I bought some 12" discs from them after I got my Shopsmith. They were OK, except the adhesive was iffy. They would curl up and fall off the disk if left unused for a day or two in the vertical position. The last batch I got were about 1/2" undersize and fell off after only 5 minutes of not being used, so I started ordering my 12" disks from Empire Abrasives. They're about the same price and much better quality, with heavier backing, good adhesive (sometimes too good, I can't get them off easily) and longer lasting abrasive. For cheaper 5" disks I like Indasa White Line, but I am not sure how they compare in price with Mirka discs. I would avoid Powertec unless they were free, or 75% less than what you normally use.

Mitchell Ristine
12-19-2020, 10:20 PM
Yup I have used them. They are OK. They're cheaper for a reason. I have noticed that the hook and loop backing on the discs is hit and miss (sometimes I get discs that fly right off my sander. Sanders are the ROS20VSC). They also don't last as long as the better brands (even with using an abrasive cleaning stick.) In the end, I have moved back to Mirka.

Jim Becker
12-20-2020, 10:12 AM
I'm not familiar with that product, but other PowerTec things I've purchased have been well made. But I'll also suspect that Michell is correct that these abrasives may not be quite the same as the brands from companies that focus on abrasives.

Dan McGonigle
12-20-2020, 6:52 PM
Thanks! I’ll stick with Mirka or maybe try Empire Abrasives.

Mitchell Ristine
12-20-2020, 8:14 PM
I am interested in Klingspor. I buy their belts for my ridgid sander. My next disc purchase will be from them. If I remember, I'll come back and update.