PDA

View Full Version : How would you solve this self inflicted wound

Brian Runau
12-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Building a mission style dresser with inset drawers. I have some grass 18" undermount guides I planned to use. Working off of a drawing from a magazine and didn't realize how old it was and didn't verify the depth of cabinet for the 18" long guides (stupid, stupid stupid) Don't get old.

Anyway, I have the sides assembled and don't have the depth I need for the 18" guides. I have a 7/16" max set back(that's pushing it) and I need 22 or 25mm for the set back with a 1/2" drawer box and 3/4 face.

I see two options, 1. Add to the leg in back to give me what I need and then the front and back legs will not match when you look at them from the side or 2. Just buy 15" guides. Money is not the issue I just hate to give up the storage space.

Appreciate the input.

Brian

Jamie Hoskins
12-18-2020, 12:36 PM
I would go 15" guides. You're not really losing storage space, your just losing how far out the drawer will open. For a dresser, I would think 15" or a bit less would be fine. It would seem you expected it to be close using the 18" guides so I guess your probably not losing the full 3", but probably more like and inch or something?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2020, 12:38 PM
I would go 15" guides. You're not really losing storage space, your just losing how far out the drawer will open. For a dresser, I would think 15" or a bit less would be fine.

I am with Jamie.

Kevin Jenness
12-18-2020, 1:15 PM
You may be able to recess the end of the slides into the cabinet back, depending on its thickness. Perhaps the drawer fronts could be thinner, or you could make your drawers with an integral front rather than an applied one. In any case, changing the leg dimensions is not what I would do. Suck it up and buy the 15" slides.

Seems like you would be giving up storage space by using drawers 3" shorter.

Paul F Franklin
12-18-2020, 2:40 PM
It's a long shot, but you might want to check the blum undermounts. Maybe you'll get lucky and they are a little shorter. Be careful about checking opening width and drawer box side thickness as well.

Brian Runau
12-18-2020, 3:39 PM
It's a long shot, but you might want to check the blum undermounts. Maybe you'll get lucky and they are a little shorter. Be careful about checking opening width and drawer box side thickness as well.

Paul, I looked at the Blum, I have 18-7/8 max inside from front of the face frame to rabbit for the back cover. I don't think their 18" is going to fit. I was looking at the 563H series. I think with the 18-17/32 slide length + 23mm setback + 6mm, just too long to fit. Appreciate the idea. Brian

Steve Jenkins
12-18-2020, 6:12 PM
How about using the 15” slides and set them back from the drawer front. Attach a spacer to the drawer bottom to fill the gap between the front of the drawer and the slide. I’ve done this with Blum slides and it worked fine.
I assume you haven’t made the drawers yet. If the Slides you’re using are like the Blum they extend past the back of the drawer a little. That amount won’t change with the slide length.

Tom Bain
12-18-2020, 6:53 PM
Not sure of the overall design, but here is a completely different idea ... ditch the drawer slides all together and mount wooden runners with dados in the drawers that ride on the runners. You can make them whatever depth you want.

Jamie Buxton
12-18-2020, 10:19 PM
How 'bout cutting holes in the cabinet back for the rears of the slides? If your dresser stands with its back to the wall, nobody will ever see the holes.

Brian Runau
12-19-2020, 9:00 AM
I bought the 15" slides and will go this route. thanks to all. Brian