PDA

View Full Version : PSI 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck ??

Dennis Collins
01-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this Grip 4 Jaw lathe chuck from PSI? Great price but do you get what you pay for $45: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10229a.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/229.jpg

Rich Stewart
01-03-2006, 9:46 PM
I just ordered my third one. I already have two of these chucks and I feel they work well. I have nothing to compare them to but they seem to do the job for me and I think they are well worth the money. I have one for each set of jaws so I dont have to stop and change them everytime I need a different set up. Get the jumbo jaws too. (Cole jaws?) 25 dollars I think.They are great for finishing the bottom of bowls and such.

John Strait
01-03-2006, 9:48 PM
I have had one of the PSI 4 jaw utility chucks for almost a year. It does all I want it to do, but it is the only chuck I have at this time. It has held well both expanding and clamping on both coffeemills and peppermills that I made for Christmas. I ordered another one 3 months ago, so I would not have to change jaws all the time. It had way too much runout and was noticeable by just watching it spin. I changed the threaded adapter with my current one, but no change. That one was sent back for a refund, although I could have had a new one sent. Now that I have been changing jaws again, I decided to reorder again and should have it in a day or two.

My only suggestion if you get one is to check for excessive runnout once it is received, but if I recall correctly they do have a two year warranty. It is definitely at least a year. PSI has been responsive whenever I communicated with them on the phone. I have read where some have complained about poor email responses with problems they have. Email just does not work with most companies when you are wanting a timely response. My preference is to talk to a real person or their supervisor.

No I am not affiliated with PSI in any way.

John

Jim Dunn
01-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm ordering one!!!

Jim

Tony Sizemore
01-04-2006, 6:51 AM
I have 2 of them and also have the jumbo jaws the offer. They have work fine for the money, but... I can tell you that there is a differeance in the chacks as the price goes up. the more expencive chack like the Oneway talon are that much better in how easy they are to work and how much truer the run and how well the hold the stock. I was given a talon for Xmas and I love it. How ever I would never have spent that much on myself.
So I think the bottom line is they work just fine. In MHO.

tod evans
01-04-2006, 7:01 AM
i`m fond of wessel chucks.......02 tod

John Hart
01-04-2006, 7:48 AM
I bought one just like it from Grizzley...per Chris Barton's recommendation. I am very pleased with it.

Chris Barton
01-04-2006, 8:08 AM
I notice John keeps putting that caveat behind reccomending the Griz chucks, :p , just so he will never have to take any blame if something goes wrong. I have two of the Griz chucks which are even just a little cheaper than the PSI. But, they are essentially the same chucks since I have successfully bought and used the jumbo jaws for the PSI chuck on a Griz. They work great and are a very fair deal. I also have a Oneway Stronghold but, there are times I think my cheapies are better for certain jobs. One thing, the inside of the jaws of the Griz/PSI are smooth and leave little scaring where as the Oneway is serated and will mark up the tennon in the compression mode.

John Hart
01-04-2006, 9:20 AM
I notice John keeps putting that caveat behind reccomending the Griz chucks, :p , just so he will never have to take any blame if something goes wrong....

Here...try this one... "I was removing all the paint on my house and decided to use gasoline and a paint sprayer per Chris Barton's recommendation"

Yeah...that'll work....Rolls right off the tongue!!!:p

Mike Ramsey
01-04-2006, 9:36 AM
I have the same chuck from ebay..it has been my workhorse! Wellll
actualy it's my only horse :rolleyes:. It's kinda worn out from improper
use of over tightening with the tommy bars :( , so I will probably
buy another one unless I recieve a Talon for a gift! Nahh that ain't
happening :( . Lots of people complain about having to use 2 hands
to operate these but if you've never used one of those fancy smancy
one handed chucks ( I can say that because I don't have one :( ) you
should not have a problem.

Kurt Aebi
01-04-2006, 9:38 AM
I have 2 or these chucks and they both work well for me.

The Tommy-bars are a little difficult to operate along with holding your piece in place, but you'll figure out how to overcome that.

The Baracuda 2 system works well, too.

Mike Ramsey
01-04-2006, 10:08 AM
They must sell a ton of those Barracuda2's They have estimated in
stock date of 03/06

Kurt Aebi
01-05-2006, 8:49 AM
Mike,

I ordered mine last August and got it in mid-November. I think they have done a wonderful job of marketing, but were way ahead of manufacturing capacity when they took their first order.

The Baracuda2 is a very nice setup and I recomend it if you have the patience to wait.

Earl Eyre
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I bought one a year ago and it's still going strong. There might be a slight wobble to it but no big deal because as soon as you true up a piece, it will run true anyway. I now use it exclusively for reverse turning with the Coles jaws.

Actually I now also have a good one from Oneway and I still get the wobble occassionally so I'm quite sure it's operator error in not getting the pieces seated well.

Earl

Bob Oswin
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I use them to hand off bowls to the driving chuck and back .
It's handy to leave some work on one when finishing as well.
Mount a sanding disc on the tailstock chuck and you can get a true bottom on your work in seconds.
With two extras there is much less downtime on my lathe waiting for stuff to dry etc.

Bob