PDA

View Full Version : HEPA or Cartridge Dust Collector?

Aaron Rosenthal
12-16-2020, 8:12 PM
I currently have a Delta AP400, and was looking at modifying it to produce cleaner air in my garage shop. The garage is so open, it may as well be a carport.
In doing my research for a better solution, I've gone through catalogues of new equipment, and upgrading materials.
Part of my confusion is the MERV ratings of filters vs. Micron pass through, and the effectiveness of HEPA filters. So, one supplier told me that a cyclone system in front of my admittedly weak AP400 AND their HEPA filter is a better solution than a new 1.5 HP cartridge system I was inspecting. Hmmm.
I wear an Eclipse cartridge filter mask when I use my machinery (table saw, band saw, chop saw plainer and jointer).
I would like to upgrade my equipment, and my wife agrees; and, I realize that a new DC with 1.5-2 HP is a reasonable starting point. Financially, a unit like that WITH a HEPA is going to be out of reach.
I will be replacing my corrugated flex hoses with solid PVC and routed with gentle curves, and I'll also budget for a cyclone before the collector, to be bought after the upgrade.
My question, though, remains: is it better to upgrade the AP40 with a HEPA and cyclone, or go for a new system and guess at the "real" rating of the escaping air?

Frank Pratt
12-17-2020, 9:48 AM
The question in your title is confusing. Any HEPA filter I've seen is a cartridge filter. A 1HP, or even 1.5HP blower is pretty weak to expect it to pull much air through a HEPA filter and a cyclone.

Aaron Rosenthal
12-17-2020, 11:21 PM
See, that's my my level of confusion. I need to design a system that will help me breathe when I'm woodworking. OK, so I'm assuming 2 HP at a minimum and then a separation system.
It's a small shop, with a few 4" outlet tools; I'm also going to change over my smaller stuff to dedicated dust deputy and a largish vacuum cleaner

Alan Lightstone
12-18-2020, 8:47 AM
I would buy something like a Jet 1000 air cleaner and install that first, then work on upgrading the DC to at least 2HP as a definite second step. Yes, I know, it's very important to get the dust at the source, but these are very effective at removing what gets airborne.

Harder with a very open shop, but I'm still amazed how effective they are when measure by my Dylos meter.

David L Morse
12-18-2020, 9:56 AM
...The garage is so open, it may as well be a carport...

If you're already working in what's essentially outside air you could just vent the DC outside instead of trying to filter the exhaust.

Add a ventilating fan to bring in more outside air to help clear the dust that the DC misses.

If you're serious about the air quality in your shop I recommend getting a decent particle meter. If you want to compare to established OSHA and EPA limits you'll need one that shows both PM2.5 and PM10. This one (https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quality-Detector-Tester-Monitor/dp/B07DL1M46J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=0644747553599&qid=1608303203&sr=8-1) won't break the bank and uses a very well reviewed sensor. I use those sensors and they work well for me. The same sensor shows up in numerous units that are much more costly than the one I linked.

Frank Pratt
12-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Hey David, does that sensor come with documentation needed to implement it, and what additional components would be needed? I really want to monitor my shop air, but the Dylos sensors are not in my budget.

David L Morse
12-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Hey David, does that sensor come with documentation needed to implement it, and what additional components would be needed? I really want to monitor my shop air, but the Dylos sensors are not in my budget.

Ok, the Amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quality-Detector-Tester-Monitor/dp/B07DL1M46J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=0644747553599&qid=1608303203&sr=8-1) I posted is for a complete unit. You only need to add a phone charger and it's ready to go.

The sensor itself is a Plantower PMS5003. There is minimal documentation available and it's badly translated from Chinese. There is however lots of information available from various DIY sites. It and is brothers, PMS7003 and PMS A003, are very popular in the hobbyist/maker world. The sensor has a serial output at 3.3 V. So you could interface to a PC with a level shift to the serial port. You'll need to write your own code of course. Most projects use an Arduino or similar along with some kind of display.

The complete unit at my link wasn't available when I first started working (playing) with the sensors. If it had been I probably would have just bought it. It's a lot less work that way.

Amazon isn't the only source for those units. If you want to trade a few dollars for a lot more adventure in the delivery process you can find them on eBay, Aliexpress, Banggood, Gearbest, etc.

Frank Pratt
12-18-2020, 4:38 PM
Thanks David, that's just the info I was looking for.

Bert McMahan
12-18-2020, 6:12 PM
I believe Adafruit has the serial protocol available, along with the sensor itself:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3686

Aaron Rosenthal
12-19-2020, 12:44 AM
David I live in a detached home with an exterior garage, but I have a lawn and children to consider. No hope of dumping the sawdust out of the building envelope.
It’s got to b contained.

David L Morse
12-19-2020, 5:28 AM
I can understand not wanting sawdust on the lawn. You can still use an exhaust fan though to bring in fresh air.

btw, I just got word of a flash sale at Banggood. They're offering the particle meter I linked to earlier for a bit under $35. I posted this in the Deals forum (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288063-Particle-counter-flash-sale&p=3080330#post3080330).

Frank Pratt
12-19-2020, 12:13 PM
I can understand not wanting sawdust on the lawn. You can still use an exhaust fan though to bring in fresh air.

btw, I just got word of a flash sale at Banggood. They're offering the particle meter I linked to earlier for a bit under $35. I posted this in the Deals forum (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288063-Particle-counter-flash-sale&p=3080330#post3080330).

That was timely. I just placed my order for one. Thanks for posting the link.