PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Alto WAP dust extractors?

Ian MacDonald
07-13-2003, 9:26 PM
Hi Folks,

I noticed today that my local Sears was clearing our some WAP (ALTO?) vacuum/dust extractors. They had the following models on sale: the WAP 840A for $169 and the WAP 440 for $139. The 840A is a 7 gallon model and the the 440 is a 5 gallon version. The 840A model also has a automatic power tool switch. The machines were yellow and appear to be similar to the blue ALTO WAP models.

Searches on the internet for these models only turned up mostly non-english european web sites. The closest similar model I could find was the "ALTO 62313 Aero II 7-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac with Auto Start" on Amazon with was unavailable.

Does anyone know anything else about these yellow WAP machines. Are they quiet? Reliable? Easy to get accessories for?

Thanks,

-- Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald
07-14-2003, 3:00 AM
For anyone who follows, I came across the following web site that answered all my questions:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/WAP.html and
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shopvacs.html

I think I'll hold off on the Sears closeout of the WAP 840A and WAP 440 for now. It seems these models are fairly cheaply made and while not as noisy as a ShopVac, are noisier than the equivalently priced Fein models.

For the idly curious, the yellow machines are left over from WAP before ALTO bought the company and changed the color scheme to blue.

Regards,

-- Ian MacDonald

Hi Folks,

I noticed today that my local Sears was clearing our some WAP (ALTO?) vacuum/dust extractors. They had the following models on sale: the WAP 840A for $169 and the WAP 440 for $139. The 840A is a 7 gallon model and the the 440 is a 5 gallon version. The 840A model also has a automatic power tool switch. The machines were yellow and appear to be similar to the blue ALTO WAP models.

Searches on the internet for these models only turned up mostly non-english european web sites. The closest similar model I could find was the "ALTO 62313 Aero II 7-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac with Auto Start" on Amazon with was unavailable.

Does anyone know anything else about these yellow WAP machines. Are they quiet? Reliable? Easy to get accessories for?

Thanks,

-- Ian MacDonald

Ed Falis
07-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Ian,

Check e-bay. There are two 10 Gal models being auctioned right now by Sears. It's hard to tell from the description, but it looks like they might be SQ-10's - at least they have the right horsepower motor and look right. We have one of the old yellow ones, and if I weren't strapped for cash at the moment, I'd be bidding on one. You might also ask the guy at ultimate garage if he recognizes the model number given on the auction pages.

- Ed

Ed Falis
07-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Ian,

I just called Sears - the ones on e-bay are the Aero model, which is similar to the 5 and 7 gal ones you saw.

- Ed

Ed Falis
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Ian,

I just heard from Steve at the ultimate garage, and he says that these _are_ the SQ-10 model number.

- Ed

Ian MacDonald
07-14-2003, 6:19 PM
Wow, thanks a lot Ed.

I saw in the eBay archives that the last SQ 10 Sears had auctioned went for $265. I guess that's still a good deal considering the "blue" ones retail in the neighborhood of $500.

I was considering the Fein Turbo II or Turbo III but may have to add these SQ 10s on eBay to my list.

Thanks again for the followup.

Regards,

--Ian