PDA

View Full Version : To glue or not to glue, that is the question.....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2020, 12:26 PM
I am building an endtable that has a 2 section top. The rear shorter section is hinged at the rear to gain access to a surge protector which has both ac outlets and usb jacks. The 2 piece top is 15 " wide cut from a single piece of glued-up red oak. The shorter rear potion is thus grain matched to the front longer portion

The 14 1/4" sub-top is a single piece of glued up red oak with an access hole to the surge protector routed to exactly match the underlying shelf.

I will finish the interior and exterior of the entire endtable with polyurethane.

With the finishing regimen in mind, should I glue and screw the front portion of the top to the sub-top or should I screw the top to the sub-top with the screws nearest the outer edges being slotted for season changes. Note, this is for my wife and we live in an arrid region. Our average annual moisture is 13". 3 inches less we'd be living in a desert.

johnny means
12-16-2020, 1:56 PM
I almost never glue anything onto a sub top. Why bother and why create a call-back nightmare? Is there anything to be gained by gluing?

Jim Becker
12-16-2020, 1:57 PM
Screw only with slots, Ken, is likely the best situation and what's I'd do, but if the grain is in the same direction for the lower layer, since it's the same red oak, glue is safe. If you stick to screws, it will be far easier to refinish or repair damage in the future.

And don't use oil based finish on the interior components as there will be "off gassing" forever, even if there is only that small interior area for plug access and no drawer. Use some shellac in there if you want the amber tint; waterborne if not.

Jim Dwight
12-16-2020, 6:41 PM
I agree although it is always OK to glue one end of a panel if you want to anchor it in place. Screws in slots for the middle and other end.