PDA

View Full Version : Free bandsaw for you or good idea for me...

John Harris
01-03-2006, 8:17 PM
After buying my new Jet 18" bandsaw (thank you, thank you!) I am decommisioning my old Craftsman bandsaw (4" rise - 12" throat). Because I am so cheap and can't throw anything out, here are my two options:
1- Give the saw away to someone near King of Prussia, PA.
2- Look for ideas on a jig I can make with the cast iron table (12"x12") and the tiltable trunions.

Any suggestions?

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 8:25 PM
I'd keep the older Craftsman. Put in a small blade, It'll come in handy for some small scroll work when you don't want to change blades in the Big guy. You can make a bigger table for it out of some scrap MDF or some such

John Harris
01-03-2006, 8:29 PM
Don, I left out some info. I do have another similar size craftsman bandsaw that I am going to keep. I am actually thinking about starting a "metal bench/station". I think if I bought a small welder, a bender and used the bandsaw for metal, I might be able to make some interesting stuff to enhance my woodworking projects.

Perry Holbrook
01-04-2006, 6:51 AM
When I bought my Jet 18" to replace my Sears 12" a few years ago, I converted the Sears saw into a ribbon sander. You can order the belts from Klingspor (special order but no additional charge for that). I think I use that sander everyday for something and really couldn't do without it. It also deburs metal edges if you're thinking of moving in that direction.

Perry