PDA

View Full Version : Little maple frame!

Tom Pritchard
01-03-2006, 8:08 PM
I have been promising my son a frame for this print that we picked up at an art show a while ago, and this is it. He wanted it to have "squared edges, nothing fancy, just rustic - like the print". Well here's what we ended up with. I got the piece of maple at the local Lowe's in the maple hardwood bin for $4.47:p . I finished it with Lee Valley polymerized tung oil (great stuff :) ), and used a scraper for the first time and was amazed at the results! The scraper put a mirror smooth surface on the maple with no tearout, and did an unbelievable job of taking off the excess glue that squeezed out of the miter joints. I can't understand why it took me so long to try one of these scrapers. In any case, thanks for looking!

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 8:14 PM
Very nice work Tom. I have several differant shaped scrapers that I am using on my current Maple project and there are a real Good send.

Tom Zachman
01-03-2006, 8:25 PM
I've never used a scraper. The frame is perfect for the print. And I see you're from Rochester...a Kodak employee? I'll look for you tomorrow in EKDIR...heh heh...you can run, but you can't hide....JK...

Tom Pritchard
01-03-2006, 8:30 PM
I've never used a scraper. The frame is perfect for the print. And I see you're from Rochester...a Kodak employee? I'll look for you tomorrow in EKDIR...heh heh...you can run, but you can't hide....JK...

Tom, I'm too big to run OR hide!

I work at KP, B-38, still playing the "Kodak Survivor" game :D :eek: :) !!

Corey Hallagan
01-03-2006, 8:32 PM
Looks great Tom, very nice frame!

Corey

John Miliunas
01-03-2006, 8:37 PM
You got that Maple WHERE???????:eek: :confused: I haven't had my mitts on something that nice since I got a couple nice pieces from Donnie Raines a year or so ago! Beautiful wood and a very nice, simple yet perfect frame for that piece. Nice job, Tom!:) :cool:

Tom Pritchard
01-03-2006, 8:41 PM
You got that Maple WHERE???????:eek: :confused: I haven't had my mitts on something that nice since I got a couple nice pieces from Donnie Raines a year or so ago! Beautiful wood and a very nice, simple yet perfect frame for that piece. Nice job, Tom!:) :cool:

Thanks John!

It may be hard to believe, but if you look in your local Lowe's at the Maple hardwood bin, you will quite often find some highly figured wood in there! My 16 year old son has become a real "pro" at picking them out, and the pieces you find are the same price as the standard maple boards. As soon as we walk in the store, my son takes off for the bin to see what new pieces have come in:) ! I've even seen pieces of quarter sawn and curly oak in the oak bin before. Happy hunting!

John Miliunas
01-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Thanks John!

It may be hard to believe, but if you look in your local Lowe's at the Maple hardwood bin, you will quite often find some highly figured wood in there! My 16 year old son has become a real "pro" at picking them out, and the pieces you find are the same price as the standard maple boards. As soon as we walk in the store, my son takes off for the bin to see what new pieces have come in:) ! I've even seen pieces of quarter sawn and curly oak in the oak bin before. Happy hunting!

What's a "Lowe's"???? :( No, I know Lowe's, but Lowe's don't know where Wisconsin is!!!:mad: Never seen anything even closely resembling that at the orange place! Regardless, great luck and nice frame!:) :cool:

scott spencer
01-03-2006, 8:47 PM
Hey Tom the frame looks great and goes really nicely with the print. Gotta love that curly maple!!

lou sansone
01-03-2006, 9:12 PM
wow .. real nice frame and really great looking maple..
great spot
lou

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 9:24 PM
Beautiful frame! The maple is top-notch. I'll second the "you got it where!?", too... :o

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2006, 9:32 PM
Great frame Tom. Beautiful maple.

Frank Chaffee
01-03-2006, 9:56 PM
Yeah Tom,
Really nice frame. It complements the print perfectly!

Kudos,
Frank

Tom Pritchard
01-04-2006, 4:54 PM
After posting that I used a scraper, I came across this link that describes the process of using and maintaining a scraper pretty well.

http://www.woodzone.com/articles/scrapers/

Tom Donalek
01-04-2006, 5:32 PM
Maple bin? Oak bin? There's so much stuff crammed into those big boxes. At least the last time I was at one I found the free back rub department in aisle 8467. Or was it aisle 14672? uh oh - maybe I'll never find it again! :eek:

Tom Zachman
01-04-2006, 8:06 PM
I'll tell you what...I've got some SCREAMIN' good deals on wood at Lowe's. Fortunately, Tom is on the WEST side, and I'm on the EAST side...I wouldn't want to have to arm wrestle you at the maple bin Tom...heh heh..next time I see you, remind me to tell you about the deal I got on Brazilian mahogany flooring at Lowes in Webster.

Mark Patoka
01-05-2006, 8:12 AM
What's a "Lowe's"???? :( No, I know Lowe's, but Lowe's don't know where Wisconsin is!!!:mad:

John,
Lowe's is starting to invade Cheeseland so you're going to start seeing blue Borgs alongside the orange Borgs. We were just back there visiting family for Christmas and saw the "Lowe's Opening Soon" sign along the highway. My mom said people were flocking to the one that opened in Plover.

Even though I haven't had to buy lumber while in Wis, I personally prefer and miss Menard's and Fleet Farm as we don't have those out East.

Lowe's WI locations (http://stores.lowes.com/lowes/cgi/selection?mapid=US&lang=en&design=default&svv=true&sp=2&city=&region=&zip=&place=&storeNum=&map.x=245&map.y=53)