PDA

View Full Version : TransFast Dye Powder Shelf Life

Andrew Seemann
12-14-2020, 11:44 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know if TransFast dye power has a certain shelf life? I just opened some that I have had for at least 20 years to mix up some dye. I probably haven't opened them for 20 years now that I think about it. They seemed to work fine on the test piece that I did. They aren't terribly expensive to replace, but if they work fine, I don't want to spend the $30 to replace the two bottles and then have to figure out how to properly dispose the old stuff. Thanks!

roger wiegand
12-15-2020, 8:14 AM
I have some that is at least 20 years old. I just used it on a project this summer and it worked fine. As long as it dissolves I wouldn't worry about shelf life. The worst thing that can happen is that the dye molecules will break down; if it is still colored that hasn't happened. These are very stable dyes.

Prashun Patel
12-15-2020, 10:03 AM
It may not make a difference, but I have some Transfast dye that is several years old. The plastic bottle starts to stain after a while. The black dye bottle has stained yellow. I am unsure if that means only PART of the dye leaches out or breaks down over time.

Just test for color shift.