PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 1836 comes now with precise position feature.

Dmitri Joukovski
12-14-2020, 4:45 PM
My new Revo 1836 manufactured in June of 2020 came with precise position feature that makes centers alignment super easy.
I decided to share because this functionality is not mentioned on either Laguna 1836 webpage or even in the manual that came with my lathe.

Thomas Wilson80
12-14-2020, 4:55 PM
Interesting....how does it work?
Tom

Dmitri Joukovski
12-14-2020, 6:01 PM
From Laguna Revo 1524 manual:

The adjustment is simple.
1. Loosen the four Allen screws.
2. Lock down the tailstock.
3. Lock quill
4. Adjust center to center alignment
5. Fasten the four Allen screws.
------------
PS. On my 1836 lathe the centers were aligned from the factory, but I did checked that it actually works as described.

Mike Wilkins
12-15-2020, 10:18 PM
That is a neat feature. I also have the 18-36 purchased in 2019 which does not have that, but the instruction manual explains how to align the center points. Mine came from the factory spot-on in alignment.
You are going to love this machine.

John K Jordan
12-17-2020, 9:33 AM
That is a neat feature. I also have the 18-36 purchased in 2019 which does not have that, but the instruction manual explains how to align the center points. Mine came from the factory spot-on in alignment.
You are going to love this machine.

Typical alignment on most lathes is a simple matter of raising one leg a tiny bit. A cast iron bed is flexible enough that it will twist. The centers can get out of alignment by simply moving the lathe to a new spot on a floor that is not a perfect plane.

The lateral adjustment is a common feature on metal lathes. It's intended to offset the tailstock center on purpose to turn tapers. Offsetting is the oldest and reportedly the most often used method to turn long, external tapers.

JKJ