PDA

View Full Version : School and Woodshop

Richard Stewart
01-03-2006, 7:28 PM
Hi everyone, i am 16 years old now and i am in high school thinking about what elective for next year i want to do woodshop, because it seems interesting but the thing is that i dont want the pressure of a teacher giving me homework, tests, calling home (thats #1) and i dont want somebody to tell me what to do for 45min of the day and telling me how to make wood stuff when i have my GREAT AWSOME DAD RICH STEWART
a member to SMC and also i brought a few peices of work to school and all my friends wanted to buy my pens i made and boxes, i had an offer of $20 for one pen but i didnt want to because its so hard to give them away. my teachers want me to show the woodshop teacher too but i dont kno who he is :rolleyes:. but if anyone can help me decide which one is better....woodshop in highschool or just have the old(but awsome)man just do that with me and him:D thanks for reading

(PS. this is a decision for next year, i was just wondering what you guys thought)

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 7:40 PM
Richard,
I am sure that you Dad is a fine teacher but think about expanding your abilities beyond what your Dad has taught you so far. The shop teacher will approoach things from another prospective and may even show you other ways of doing things. Plus wouldn't it be awsome to be able to spend 45 min a day while you are in school making sawdust..;)

John Miliunas
01-03-2006, 7:55 PM
Richard, ditto to what Don said! Furthermore, did you ever think that the particular "homework" you get might even be fun??? I mean, it does involve an all-time GREAT activity, doesn't it??? :D (Besides, it'd probably be an easy "A" for you!:rolleyes: ):) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2006, 7:59 PM
Richard....there are many ways to skin a cat. Sometimes when method doesn't work another method will. Take the class....learn some other ways to skin that cat! (or in this case....learn different methods of woodworking or ways of accomplashing a ww task. You can never get too much experience!)

Bill Stevener
01-03-2006, 8:28 PM
Hi Richard,
When I was in high school, I took wood shop. My Father and Grandfather were both very fine craftsman. Last year when I finished my treadle lathe and put together a 30 page reference manual on the lathe, I dedicated it to my shop teacher, long since passed, but always remembered. One smart, dedicated and stern teacher.

In our shop we had two lathes,-- mine and who ever wanted to use the other one :D

Go for the shop, you will never regret it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kent Cori
01-03-2006, 8:39 PM
Whatever you do, don't take high school woodshop. It instilled in me the love I still have today of working with my hands and wood. It is a black hole for your time and money for the rest of your life. Run and save yourself now! :eek: :) ;)

Seriously, Don's advice is right on regardless of the subject. New perspectives will always help you broaden your personal horizons.

Paul Douglass
01-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Sorry, I can't resist, maybe you should take another semister of grammer. Just kidding, I took woodshop in high school 40+ years ago. I still benefit from what I learned, and my father was a master carpentar, and spent a lot of time working with me. I got a different perspective from the shop teacher, and a little more structure in ways to do things. The teacher required that I finished what I started and that I built what I started out to build. It was good training and fun.

Jim Dunn
01-03-2006, 8:50 PM
Couldn't get along with my shop teacher. Later in life I saw him in a lumber yard as I ordered material for the home I built for my wife and family. His jaw dropped;) It then hit the floor and broke when I told him I was lead man on a horizontal boring mill with XYZ axis optics that was the largest in the midwest.

If I learned anything from him it was don't listen to someone when they tell your work stinks to high heaven:p

Jim

Keith Outten
01-03-2006, 8:50 PM
Richard,

...you don't have to choose either option. You can do both of them at the same time.

Carole Valentine
01-03-2006, 8:55 PM
Sorry, I can't resist, maybe you should take another semister of grammer.
Amen on that, Paul! I hope Richard's school does a better job of teaching shop than they apparently do at teaching grammer.

Richard, take the shop classes (and start paying attention in your English classes!) A little homework never hurt anyone and if it's something you are interested in, you may actually enjoy it. If you don't know the shop teacher, go meet him! You just might hit it off. In addition to possibly learning something about woodworking that maybe your Dad doesn't know, you would be able to use a whole shop full of tools and learn how to use them correctly and safely.

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2006, 9:07 PM
I don't know how good the schools are where Richard lives, but there's decent odds even the shop teacher there knows how to spell "grammar" and "semester". And at least they still have woodshop class, unlike most places.

Don't mind me, my irony meter just maxed out.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2006, 9:18 PM
Richard take the woodshop class. You won't regret it. I took woodshop a long time ago. I learned how to use tools and use them properly. My grandfather taught me woodworking using only hand tools and the teacher in woodshop taught me to use power tools. If you do it right you can have the best of both worlds as I did. You can learn in school and still learn with dad. ;)

Richard Stewart
01-03-2006, 9:47 PM
im good at grammar, im just too lazy to capitalize every "I" and those small things. i play video games alot and i type like that cause its faster...:p srry bout the poor grammar ill try to do better

^^^
i kno that that is bad...im in a hurry imm in a middle of battleifeld 2 game...g2g bye

Carole Valentine
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
im good at grammar, im just too lazy to capitalize every "I" and those small things. i play video games alot and i type like that cause its faster...:p srry bout the poor grammar ill try to do better

^^^
i kno that that is bad...im in a hurry imm in a middle of battleifeld 2 game...g2g bye
Richard, I have been told by my nephew that the way you write (run-on sentences, no capitalization and little punctuation) is considered to be the "cool" way to write, at least among kids your age. That's fine if you are communicating with your teen friends. However, you must remember that some of us in this forum are what you would probably refer to as "old farts" and we don't read "Teen Write" very well.;) I speak only for myself when I say that I am much more inclined to give a thoughtful answer to a question that is clearly and concisely stated than to a question that I have to read several times in order to figure out what the person is asking. Why should I take the time to compose a thoughtful, properly worded response to someone who doesn't care enough to do the same with their question? In this age of Internet communications, we are what we write. Someone may be a genius, but unless we know them in "real life" their written communication with us is the only means we have of forming an impression of that person. If their messages are sloppy and lazy, then we tend to think of them as sloppy and lazy.
I will get off my "old lady's" soapbox now and crawl back to my shop.:D Keep on turning.

Bill Stevener
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
It all gets better in time Richard. "Woodshop" is like this, wood shop or wood-shop and "carpentar" as the proof reader noted it is like this, carpenter. Someone else caught the other ones.

It's a good thing I have a spell check on my computer, other wise I would have to join a Russian turning club.

I still like your wood turnings,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Richard, I knew a self taught photographer who did beautiful work... really outstanding. With electronics coming into view, he wanted to take some college courses. To take them though, he would have to take some required basics because he had nothing on record. Being upset about that part he went into the class determined to show the teacher up. After the first six weeks he was flunking the basic course. Well, because he really wanted the advanced courses, and he couldn't get there without passing the basics, he decide to NOT KNOW anything about photography and went in the class to learn. He realized then that there actually was a lot of stuff he hadn't known about and was happy to be taking the basic course. He realized he'd been doing things the hard way, not necessarily the best way and his photographs got better. He passed the course and went on to pass the advanced courses.

So take the class if you decide you want to learn something about woodworking. Then decide there is something to learn that you don't already know, and study so you can put to use what you are learning.

There is really not that much pressure in any class if you just decide you want to know about it.

Ernie

John Nicholas
01-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Richard, I have been told by my nephew that the way you write (run-on sentences, no capitalization and little punctuation) is considered to be the "cool" way to write, at least among kids your age. That's fine if you are communicating with your teen friends. However, you must remember that some of us in this forum are what you would probably refer to as "old farts" and we don't read "Teen Write" very well.;)

Richard, take the Woodshop Class. We didn't have one in my high school. I missed a good thing.

Practice your typing grammer skills. I hire about 20 HS students a year. Last month I attended a college graduation for one of the gals I hired at 16. She still works for me. I have 5 to attend this spring. They all still work for me also. Your first post would have made me pass to another applicant. You are what you are perceived to be. In this forum, in print -- you are your typing. :)

Frank Chaffee
01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Richard,
The challenges and gifts that your father has and will continue to give you will be accessible long after he is passed. Also, never hesitate to add experiential input to your life.

If you wish to become the type of man who charts his own course in life, then never hold back from engaging in a contract because it will limit your freedom in some ways for a while. When you see a situation available to you where you can learn something you want/need to know, sign on the line! The discipline of listening to those wiser than ourselves is invaluable.

DAMHIKT,

Frank

Anthony Anderson
01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Carole, I am surprised:eek: (Is this a surprised face?). I respect your opinions, your knowledge, and ability. But please pay attention to the content of the message, and quit griping about grammar. If you don't feel that a message cannot be thougtfully written and be concise without having proper grammar then you shouldn't feel inclined to respond at all. I hold the opposite opinion. Grammar and what is considered acceptable grammar evolves, and in some cases, completely changes, over time. Please go to the library and read some work written 150, 200, or 300 years ago, you will see what I mean. You have a 16 year old student that respects the people on this forum enough to ask for their opinion. That is admirable of any 16 year old. He did not ask to have his grammar critiqued;). Often I learn the most from those who cannot spell or puncuate properly. I would be a fool to refuse their knowledge because they were not "concise" or did not use good grammar. With my Regards and sincerest respect, Bill (Now I am turning off my grammer mode):D

Paul, welcome to Sawmill Creek. I hope you enjoy your time here. Please forgive any misshpellings and/or grammer mistakes. I look forward to learning from you. Regards, Bill

Lee, THANK YOU

Richard, as the others have said, don't go into shop with the idea that you will show your shop teacher a thing or two. Be humble and willing to learn, and you will have memories of a very good experience. Just curious, have you asked your Dad what he thought? Usually school shops are very well stocked with quality tools, which means new opportunities to learn. Best of luck to you, Regards, Bill

Andy Hoyt
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Richard - Take the class and learn, learn, learn. Then, take this newfound knowledge home with you and share it with your old man. The resultant bond will be worth a million bucks, or at least maybe a new Oneway 2436!

And don't be afraid of that shop teacher. You two already have common ground on which to build a lasting relationship. Woodworking in general, and turning in particular.

As for all this grammar stuff - it's just because we care.

And bro, Carole is right on the money.

And Dad - Take this kid to a local turning club meeting.

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 1:49 AM
Richard,
...And what Andy hoyt said too.

Best wishes,
Frank

Bayard Murphy
01-04-2006, 2:40 AM
Richard,
Take the time to visit this shop teacher. Having taught high school woodshop for four years, I really think your fear of home work is only in your mind. First and foremost shop is to be fun (in a controlled and safe environment). The teaching of woodworking is really low on the list of achievements considering the ability curve of a large class enrollment.
The most I asked of my students was to lend a helping hand to fellow student and to feel good of their accomplishment. To recognize failure, but to learn from mistakes and rebound by turning design flaws in to something positive. I do believe that they loved the class almost as much as I enjoyed teaching it.
Bet your dad would tell you to never lend out your tools? Well I loaned all my very precious tools to some 400 students, without any regrets. What I taught was industrial shop with a big exploration on Neanderthal woodworking. Hand planes, spoke shaves, steam bending, drafting, veneer, lathe, and just lots of hand work (my shaving horse will never be the same). The hand work slowed them down, made them focus and really gave them a better understanding on the fundamentals of what they needed to know, to produce a successful project.
When I started teaching shop, 85 students showed and interest in the course, the first year we held two classes a day, twenty students per class. The last year 272 students showed interested in the course and again only about 90 where able to enroll, that out of a student body of 320. I honestly think the growth in interest was from the use of teacher’s assistance. Student like your self with a well balanced understanding for the craft and the desire to teach and help others, made a huge impact for all my students.
I was really never qualified to teach (think I could use another term of English myself), but my oddity of work made me the likely candidate. The school came to me (a fellow teacher), either except or they where consider closing down the program. I left my position just before Christmas, and hopefully leaving it in good hands.
So many people I have run in to, talk about how much they loved high school woodshop, I am sure you will not be the exception. For me it was the most rewarding opportunity to date, and have made friendships that will last a life time.
<o ="">
</o>

tod evans
01-04-2006, 5:55 AM
richard, my typing skills are definitely lacking, i type one fingered and slow, but i do know a bit about woodbutcherie and have been around long enough to see a major decline in all of the vocational arts in public schools. i think that by taking the classes offered you would be doing your part to support the programs offered at your school. learn all you can from any and every source you can. the wonderful thing about woodworking is that if you honestly apply yourself and try to master all of the different aspects you may become proficient by the time your 65-70! i started turning at 13, worked for homebuilders through highschool and started trimming for myself in my early 20`s. started doing kitchen cabinets and built-ins around 30 and made the transition to fulltime furniture and radiused millwork by 37. i`m 45 now and fully realize the amount of learning i have to do in order to produce the quality of work i admire.
if you truely love woodworking please allow yourself to learn all you can from everyone you come in contact with, your work will be better for it.....02 tod

Bruce Smith
01-04-2006, 7:38 AM
I have to agree with the posts and the english classes for sure, perhaps even night english classes just incase Richard can't grasp everything in his day classes. Richard you say that you don't like the instructor telling you what to do. Well you had better get used to people doing so as this will be the case the rest of your life. I wonder do I detect a little lazyness on your side. I'm sure you will make the correct decision at your schooling, enjoy it whichever route you take. I think you will find that your school years will be the best years of your life. By the way if you don't care to use the shift key then just lock it down and everthing will be in uppercase, that way you won't have to worry about your (i). GOOD LUCK and all the best for 2006....

Mike Ramsey
01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
However, you must remember that some of us in this forum are what you would probably refer to as "old farts"

Carole! I think you forgot to capitalize! "Old Farts"

Paul Douglass
01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't know how good the schools are where Richard lives, but there's decent odds even the shop teacher there knows how to spell "grammar" and "semester". And at least they still have woodshop class, unlike most places.

Don't mind me, my irony meter just maxed out.

You are correct! I deserved that! You are right about the woodshop classes also. We had sheetmetal shop, woodshop, auto shop, mechanical drawing, etc. I missed auto shop and really regret it.

Anyway thanks for the correction, I now sit here with dictionary in lap. I didn't do well in spelling class....:o

Jim Becker
01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
IMHO, take the shop class. It will expose you to things in different ways than just working at home. Multiple teachers make for a well-rounded knowledge.

----
Bill, I suppose I could start a real Russian Turning Club at my house, considering my new daughters hold both Russian and US citizenship...LOL!

Raymond Overman
01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
One thing that I figured out once I passed 25 years of age is that my father got a lot smarter. I also figured out that even though he knows a lot of things, he doesn't know them all and probably has a less technical approach to a lot of things than I do. I not only want to know how to do something, I want to know why it works better to do it that way.

An example is my early turnings. I used a scraper, a spindle gouge, a skew, anything I could get my hands on to hog out a bunch of end grain turnings. What I didn't know, and my father was there with me, was that a cross grain turning was better for bowls and a bowl gouge was the tool of choice. The proper use of the bowl gouge with the bevel supporting the wood behind the leading edge made a huge difference in my turning. When I brought the technique back to my father it made a big difference in his turning too.

My advice is to take the course with an open mind. Develop a relationship with the instructor and show an extra interest in knowing why he uses a technique, not just how. Some of the course will be remedial but I guarantee you'll learn something that dear old dad didn't teach you or possibly even know.

It's important to keep an open mind, to continue to listen to your instructor, and continue to enjoy learning even though it may be duplicate information. You are able to practice and improve your skills during the class even if it's something you've already done and repetition and muscle learning plays a large part in the success of woodworking/turning. Tiger Woods knows how to hit a golf ball. He still hits hundreds every day to help develop the muscle learning it takes to be accurate.

Carole Valentine
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Carole! I think you forgot to capitalize! "Old Farts"
No, I didn't forget. I just refuse to give the term the dignity of capitalization!:D:D:D Maybe ten years from now I will be proud of being an "old fart" and change my mind about whether or not the term deserves capitalization.:rolleyes:

Ok, enough about grammar. From now on, if I come across a question written in the "stream of consciousness" style, I will just skip it. Call me lazy. I didn't particularly enjoy reading William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" either!:p:D In case you are wondering, here's a passage from that novel by the Nobel Laureate: "I am I and you are you and I know it and you dont know it and you could do so much for me if you just would and if you just would then I could tell you and then nobody would have to know it except you and me and Darl" Say what???:D:D:D

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
----
Bill, I suppose I could start a real Russian Turning Club at my house, considering my new daughters hold both Russian and US citizenship...LOL!

Jim, believe it or not, I am getting some what better with the Russian language. My neighbors, are experiencing the same joy, as you and your wife are, as they returned home earlier this past summer, with two young girls from Russia, I believe from the same area as your girls. They are a real joy, and such a kick. One of the most interesting things about the girls is there fascination with bugs, any kind of bug. Where they lived, so cold, they never had the chance to see any.
I will never master the Russian language, hard enough time with English.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
.... "I am I and you are you and I know it and you dont know it and you could do so much for me if you just would and if you just would then I could tell you and then nobody would have to know it except you and me and Darl" ...
Yup. Leave it to ol' Bill Faulkner to screw up our manner of speech.

On the other hand, I like ol' Al Einstein's famous last words - "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z.

X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut".

Personally. Z is the one I have trouble with!

Carole Valentine
01-04-2006, 1:09 PM
Z is the one I have trouble with!
Yup. I think we both fall in that category. At least we both hug our dogs.:D

Martin Shupe
01-04-2006, 1:38 PM
Take the class, but be prepared to be bored, at least at first.

I took shop for one year in high school. There were a lot of guys in there who were taking the class because they wanted a "blow off course". In my day, these were the known "druggies". Since I was one of the few guys NOT in that category, I had to learn to work with people who were less serious about school (and life, for that matter). We all got along, but I got a look at where your life could go if you had parents that didn't care about what you did with your after school time. A valuable lesson, I might add.

We spent the first six weeks on very basic tools and safety. Boring, but necessary, even if I didn't realize it at the time. Lots of lectures, little shop time.

We had a group project we made for the school to use. Each group made the same rolling shop cabinet to the same specifications. I will always remember the look on my shop teacher's face when I suggested we repair a mistake with "plastic wood". He let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that plastic wood was not allowed in his shop.

For our individual projects, we were allowed a great deal of freedom. Looking back, probably too much. One guy made a hang glider out of plastic and bamboo. Not sure if it ever flew or not. I made an end table, sort of. It was a 3 foot cube, with a hidden door on one side for storage inside. It was designed to go at the end of my bed. The cube was built from plywood, and then overlayed with a parkay (sp?) of oak pieces 3/8" thick. It was too much project in too little time. I got the idea from watching the instructor, who was building a coffee table in a similar style. I bit off way more than I could chew. I got it done, but the finish was terrible, and it wasn't quite square. I got a B that semester, probably for effort, as I surely deserved a C.
I wish I had a pic of that project to post. My dad called it the "safe". When my parents sold the house, I was in the Navy, and my mom asked if I wanted to keep it. I said no, and she put it on the front curb. It was gone within an hour, so somebody liked it.

One guy in class built a beautiful end table. It had a flat base, set off the floor on 4 bun feet. Then it had a center turned column, then a square top the same size as the bottom. It turned out wonderful. It was simple, so he had time to finish it. If I could go back, my project would be simpler (and Shaker style).

A lot will depend on your shop teacher. I know one in Illinois, who I met while buying wood, who is excellent. He showed me photos of his student's work, and it was fantastic.

About the grammar that others have commented on...

Someday you will need a "real" job. You will have to apply, and that may entail a writing sample. A friend of mine had to do that, and he submitted a one page paper as part of an application process. It contained 3 misspelled words. He was told that he was the number one candidate, until they found the misspelled words. They didn't hire him. Grammar and writing may not be important to you now, but it may be in the future. It might be a good idea to get some good practice in while it doesn't really count.

Best of luck to you, and keep us informed of your success.

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 3:05 PM
Take the class, but be prepared to be bored, at least at first.

It might be a good idea to get some good practice in while it doesn't really count.

Best of luck to you, and keep us informed of your success.

Another lesson in the importance of being able to spell correctly in life. One of the many areas I still struggle with.

Completing High School, I was presented with the opportunity to work within a program, as a Sullivan, inspecting the construction of our Navy's nuclear submarines. After three years of free schooling and countless exams, I elected to go further and applied for the Quality Assurance programs in the nuclear field. This required, so to speak, a ten year internship (getting to know your job). Well the opportunity finally came for me to apply for the final exam to become a Senior Level III Quality Assurance Engineer in the construction and nuclear fields. Finial exam day arrives, I studied for two weeks pryor and was most extremely confident I would ace this thing without any question.

With a bottle of Excedrin in hand, I went on and completed the exam and turned it in for review and grading. The examiner, another level III engineer, returned my exam. My chest was high, my head was full of bravos, bravos and more bravos. As I looked at the grade, my chest began to sink and the bravos were beginning to fade. A 98%,:eek: I was floored. Returning to the examiner, I said, "sir, I did get the answer to this question correct". The examiner said, "you may have, however you spelled it wrong and I take off two points for spelling, no one aces my exams".
The word was "homogeneous". If I had spelled it correctly, I would have beaten him at his game.

I passed the exam and did go on to become one of the top QA Engineers in our energy field today, however I still can't spell the word I missed, but I will never forget that exam day.

Inside, spelling does have its haunts.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-04-2006, 3:11 PM
Bill - Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous) and you'll see that it's a trick word. Two different spellings that almost mean the same thing. Of course, when it comes to nukes, I'm glad that your tester did not ascribe to the notion of "close enough for horseshoes, handgrenades, and nuclear anything".

Raymond Overman
01-04-2006, 3:17 PM
Finial exam day arrives, I studied for two weeks pryor and was most extremely confident I would ace this thing without any question.

Why would they have an exam on finials Bill?

I apologize but find it quite entertaining that we all seem to make mistakes when we are trying to impress a sense of pride in one's grammar and spelling.

Take the class Richard. Leave your ego at the door.

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 4:34 PM
Why would they have an exam on finials Bill?

I apologize but find it quite entertaining that we all seem to make mistakes when we are trying to impress a sense of pride in one's grammar and spelling.

Take the class Richard. Leave your ego at the door.

The exam may have included a turning for a piece of furniture.:D

I guess I should have stated it in in a way, everyone would understand Raymond, such as. Exam day finally arrives, wow the last one.

Thanks for your apology in advance, but none is required, as the story was not intended to impress a sense of pride in ones grammar and or spelling, as I believe was reflected in the opening sentences. The story identifies the fact that spelling does have some merit in life.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 4:51 PM
Bill - Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous) and you'll see that it's a trick word. Two different spellings that almost mean the same thing. Of course, when it comes to nukes, I'm glad that your tester did not ascribe to the notion of "close enough for horseshoes, handgrenades, and nuclear anything".

Andy, at the time any way I spelled it would probably have been wrong.
Two things I did learn along the way, one was the use of the word "but" never allowed and the other is "close enough" it's not in the dictionary.
The instructor was one very Stearn, educated and to the point individual.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
01-04-2006, 4:55 PM
Another lesson in the importance of being able to spell correctly in life. One of the many areas I still struggle with.

Completing High School, I was presented with the opportunity to work within a program, as a Sullivan, inspecting the construction of our Navy's nuclear submarines. After three years of free schooling and countless exams, I elected to go further and applied for the Quality Assurance programs in the nuclear field. This required, so to speak, a ten year internship (getting to know your job). Well the opportunity finally came for me to apply for the final exam to become a Senior Level III Quality Assurance Engineer in the construction and nuclear fields. Finial exam day arrives, I studied for two weeks pryor and was most extremely confident I would ace this thing without any question.

With a bottle of Excedrin in hand, I went on and completed the exam and turned it in for review and grading. The examiner, another level III engineer, returned my exam. My chest was high, my head was full of bravos, bravos and more bravos. As I looked at the grade, my chest began to sink and the bravos were beginning to fade. A 98%,:eek: I was floored. Returning to the examiner, I said, "sir, I did get the answer to this question correct". The examiner said, "you may have, however you spelled it wrong and I take off two points for spelling, no one aces my exams".
The word was "homogeneous". If I had spelled it correctly, I would have beaten him at his game.

I passed the exam and did go on to become one of the top QA Engineers in our energy field today, however I still can't spell the word I missed, but I will never forget that exam day.

Inside, spelling does have its haunts.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Egads! The LAST thing I want to do is to tick off a nukes kinda' guy but, someone had to say it: Bill, you misspelled "prior".:eek: Sorry, couldn't resist!:D :cool:

tod evans
01-04-2006, 4:58 PM
Egads! The LAST thing I want to do is to tick off a nukes kinda' guy but, someone had to say it: Bill, you misspelled "prior".:eek: Sorry, couldn't resist!:D :cool:

naw he was thinking of richard the torch:)

John Miliunas
01-04-2006, 5:17 PM
naw he was thinking of richard the torch:)

Musta' been! :D :D :D :cool:

Bill Stevener
01-04-2006, 6:08 PM
That's ok guys, Raymond already hit on that one with an edit.

It was placed there for your FINAL EXAM.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 8:30 PM
Darn you John and tod,
I was out for a few hours and you beat me to it.
Well, your reasoning is a priori, so there, take that!
Frank

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 8:33 PM
Bill,
With that as your background I can see how within a couple days of getting your first digital camera you took photos that magazine photographers strive years to get!
Frank

Bill Stevener
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Well thank you Frank, I don't know that I may have said that the new camera I received for Christmas was my first one or not, however the one before (note the word change) the new one must have been an experimental model. The new one has all the fun amenities, which will take some time to master.

The short story I posted was not intended to reflect a sense of pride in my spelling or grammar, far from it. The intent was to identify to those that my have indicated, that grammar and spelling was not all that important, that it may well be, some day in life. At a young age I just could not get a handle on it and still have a problem with it.

I sure didn't expect it to receive a full blown audit. Just trying to point out the pit falls in life. Messing with a QA Engineer is like messing with a hog wallowing in the mud.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Bill,
However did you think that after a career as Navy Nuke Code QA Engineer Inspector Level Highest, we ‘Creekers would allow to slack off just because you are “retired”???

Just kidding Bill. Really, I want to thank you not only for the sharing of the story of your accomplished path through life with young Richard, but also with me. Your path has certainly been different from mine, but I find some persons stories interesting, nourishing and valuable to me as I wend my way through life.

Thanks Bill,
Frank

Tom Horton
01-05-2006, 7:38 AM
Richard, take the Woodshop Class. We didn't have one in my high school. I missed a good thing.

Practice your typing grammer skills. I hire about 20 HS students a year. Last month I attended a college graduation for one of the gals I hired at 16. She still works for me. I have 5 to attend this spring. They all still work for me also. Your first post would have made me pass to another applicant. You are what you are perceived to be. In this forum, in print -- you are your typing. :)

Richard, this says it best of all the posts..... And, if you're always in a hurry, you're going to miss some of the greatest, yet subtle things along the way, and you will regret it later. Take your time to get the most out of what you have.

And, by all means, take the shop class!!!!! You will be exposed to tools, and ideas there that you normally wouldn't be until much later on if you don't.

Rich Stewart
01-06-2006, 2:22 PM
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I thought we got an excellent discussion going on it. I learned a little more about some of the people in here. I consider all of you friends of mine.

Rich Jr did fail to mention a couple things. He has to choose two electives out of three. Woodshop, cooking, or graphic arts. His problem is he likes all of these subjects. All good things to learn.

Have no fear. Junior is very good at spelling, grammar, and punctuation. He often proof-reads his brothers college papers. I guess every generation does things that get on the older generations nerves. I wore my hair down in my eyes and would toss my head to the right to get it out of my eyes. Drove my Dad crazy. My 24 year old in high school would wear his pants around his ass with his boxers sticking out and wear things that were six times too big for him. Talking like some kind of gangsta thug. Drove ME crazy. Now Junior writes like a third grader with a learning disability. Carole, you are absolutely right about people basing their impressions of a person on the way that person types. What else do they have to go on? Thank you for bringing this to his attention. As far as "his great and awesome dad". The phrase 'buttering up, comes to mind. I do not know much about woodworking. Most of what I know, I ve learned from this forum. Thank you all for that. It's a new world for me.

Ok I dont want to make this too long. Just wanted to thank all who joined in on this dicussion.

Carole Valentine
01-06-2006, 5:50 PM
Rich,
Your reply really made me laugh. I don't know when it was, but at some point in my life when I realized that the things youngsters did were started to bug me, I remember thinking "OMG! I have turned into my parents!":D:D:D
Richard has a tough decision on those electives. I love all of those things. I guess the deciding factor would be what sort of career I was considering. But then again, I might just take the ones that I thought would be the most fun.
Keep spinning!

Martin Shupe
01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Rich,

Not that it matters, but I would learn the cooking at home in the kitchen, and take the classes in Graphic Arts and Woodworking.

I learned my cooking over a fire at Boy Scout campouts, and managed to survive my bachelor days just fine.

I couldn't have taught myself Graphic Arts.

Just a thought.

Gregg Mason
01-08-2006, 5:01 AM
Hey Richard(and Rich Sr.), your a local.

I see your from Galloway and I guess that means you go to Absegami HS.
I went to gami for 3 years. In fact the first year it opened 1983, and to the old absegami/oakcrest before that, then graduated from EHT in 1984 1st year it opened. Boy am I gettn old.

Anyway, I took woodshop in all three schools and I believe my instructor at absegami was Dan Pemberton. I'm guessing he's long since retired, but he was a great teacher. I really enjoyed his class, and he made an impression on me. If he's still there tell him I said Hi. They had a really nice shop. I enjoyed it. I dont recall the brand of equipment, but it was heavy iron, and it was all brand new when I was there. I still have the baseball bat I turned. It looks more like a caveman club.

I really enjoyed the classes, but I aggree with others that they can be a bit boring at times. Especially 1st year. But if you show the instructor your work, and that you are serious about learning, and most important, that you will work safely, they will usually give you a bit more fredom.

BTW: I'm still in the area(Estell Manor). Good luck. Glad to see a local SMCer

Gregg