PDA

View Full Version : Paste wax?

Mike Sanfeliz
01-03-2006, 7:27 PM
I hear that alot of woodworkers like to use paste wax to keep the cast iron tops of thier table saws nice and smooth. Any recomendations, and were do you buy it (auto shop)?

Phil Phelps
01-03-2006, 7:46 PM
Johnsons paste wax is found in grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. It's a true classic.

Mike Sanfeliz
01-03-2006, 8:00 PM
gracias! Phil

Tom Zachman
01-03-2006, 8:05 PM
I have a can of Minwax paste wax..been using it for years. Nice stuff.

Tom Pritchard
01-03-2006, 8:14 PM
Mike, I use Johnson Paste Wax on all my work surfaces; planer table, table saw, band saw, router table top, and my benchtop. I've never had a problem with rust (basement shop), and wood pieces slide across everything smoothly. It's like changing oil in a car, very inexpensive procedure that protects your investments!

Kent Cori
01-03-2006, 8:26 PM
I use the Minwax version only becuase I can find it more easily than the Johnson's (HD and Lowes). I suspect both work about the same.

Frank Hagan
01-03-2006, 9:05 PM
I use Johnson's Paste Wax as well. I heard an old adage, and I don't know who to attribute it to, but it gives the "formula" for making your cast iron rust proof. You use the paste wax "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then once a year for life."

I don't think I actually followed that to the letter, but I only have to renew it every year or so and it keeps my cast iron rust free.

Russ Massery
01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
I use Johnsons paste wax,once a month or so.

Don Frambach
01-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I use "Renaissance Wax" that I got from Highland Hardware. Here is a link: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1304

Bob Marino
01-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I use "Renaissance Wax" that I got from Highland Hardware. Here is a link: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1304

Don,

Why Renaissance Wax over the others?

Bob

Tim Sproul
01-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Renaissance lasts longer than Minwax of Johnsons but that is offset by the higher cost and more difficult application.

It isn't really more difficult to apply unless you're frugal. The stuff is significantly more expensive and you don't need as much....but applying just a pinch and trying to spread it over the entire cast iron surface is more work compared to slobbering regular paste wax all over and then rubbing the excess off.

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Bob, the story I heard is that Renaissance Wax was developed for museums to be used on things like armor, swords, and other museum quality metal work antiques. From the price they charge there may be something to it. I have seen it sold in antique stores both here and England. They claim the "micro crystalline" (sp) formula more readily gets into the grain of the metal. Don't know. Have some, but wind up using Boeshield most often.

One thing everyone left out on waxing, which we all know but didn't mention to Mike is to be sure that whatever you use doesn't have silicone.

Jeffrey Schronce
01-04-2006, 1:06 AM
Johnsons Paste Wax can typically can be found at ACE hardware as well.
Went through conditioning cast iron tops of two new saws in the last month. Using Boeing Boesheild B-9 as first coat, very heavily applied. Took an extremely long time to dry in unheated shop in NC and never dried in unheated shop in PA. Basically ended up wiping B-9 off and applying two coats of Johnsons. I don't know if the B-9 did anything, but I would feel comfortable using the Johnsons alone.
The thing I find interesting is that a lot of folks really like Boeshild B-9 for heavy "storage" coat for winter. I guess it is being applied before it gets real cold outside? It finally dried on some of the steel parts of the saw but never dried on the cast iron.