PDA

View Full Version : Slot Mortising Hammer A3 31

Adel Heiba
12-13-2020, 9:23 PM
I have a problem routing mortises with Slot mortiser. Because of my technique or lack thereof the mortises in the leg tend to be slightly wider than those in aprons. This makes for a loose fit in the leg. I think this is related to how I clamp the pieces while routing. Any suggestions are appreciated

Kevin Jenness
12-13-2020, 9:53 PM
This can be alleviated by using the shortest bit that will do the job and taking light cuts to keep bit whip to a minimum. Drill or ramp in 1-2 mm at a time and sweep side to side at a moderate rate. Experiment on scrap to find the best technique. If clamping over the mortise is the problem (unlikely), bridge over the mortise with a scrap to spread the pressure.

Adel Heiba
12-15-2020, 9:44 PM
Kevin,

Thank you — I think what you suggest will work after a few trys!

Adel

Steve Rozmiarek
12-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Are you using the Hammer/Felder bits? I use them, the bit whip can be substantial if you go too fast. That definitely causes the whip to climb cut which widens the mortise. I'm honestly not sure what the correct procedure is, but I do lots of plunging and clean up only in tiny bites. I bet there are better bits out there, but it can be managed with a methodical approach.