PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Veneer Sources...

Derek Arita
12-13-2020, 9:02 AM
for oval boxes. I've been purchasing from John Wilson, of course, but he seems a bit expensive. That said, I have no experience with veneers other than with oval boxes, so his prices may be reasonable...I don't know. The thicknesses used are .062", .067", .070", .077", .080" and .082".

Jim Becker
12-13-2020, 9:50 AM
I'm really not sure who sells thicker veneers like that. If you intend to dive deep into this kind of work, you might consider getting a drum sander if you don't have one, so you can resaw stock at your bandsaw and process it into nice, even, pieces of thick veneer that are perfect for bending into the box shapes. You really cannot use a planer for thicknessing this kind of stuff as you likely know.

Richard Coers
12-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Certainly Wood is the only source I know of for 1/16" veneers, but none of the other sizes you list. There is a caution when using peeled veneer for bending. There is a very minute checking that occurs when you peel that thick of veneer. Those checks MUST be on the inside or the chances of cracking go way up if you put them on the outside. So you have to wet the veneer and then bend slightly in both directions to find which side has the checking. I think John Wilson mentions that in his instructions. Used to anyway. If you don't have a drum thickness sander, this is the perfect time. But if you figure in the cost of new machinery, John's prices will be cheap.

Derek Arita
12-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Since I don't have a drum sander and don't even have the room for one, that option is out. John suggests using a table saw, for the narrower bands, but even at that, there's the cost of the maple or cherry stock itself. If John's prices seem reasonable, then I'll stick with that for sure. I wanted to ask, in case I was missing a better option.

Tom Bain
12-13-2020, 12:49 PM
I may not have this exactly right, but I believe John’s “thick veneers” are dried in a specific way to aid in the bending process. Something like 20% MC rather than 6%-8% in kiln dried lumber. I think they are also quarter-sawn which yields straight grain versus cathedral grain in flat-sawn.

Mike Bain
12-13-2020, 1:27 PM
Constantine's Wood Center carries 1/16" veneers.
I use to buy from them when I made Shaker boxes.
Mike

johnny means
12-13-2020, 2:20 PM
I'm swimming in .125" veneer offcuts. I'm not familiar with oval boxes. What are the material requirements?

John TenEyck
12-13-2020, 3:49 PM
I'm sure there are several members here who would be happy to make any "veneer" you need. I dry much of my own lumber so if you need a domestic hardwood I may have some at nearly any moisture content you need. What a great thing to have someone want AD wood! I saw and sand a lot of veneer for my own work, so that's absolutely no problem. Anyway, consider it an offer.

John