PDA

View Full Version : Shop safety changes you have made in 2020?

Scott Winners
12-13-2020, 4:00 AM
I have been reading up since I just bought a lathe about a month ago. Our most recent safety thread is about a year old.

What have you changed or upgraded or noticed this year?

My biggest change is wearing KN95s more often for dust protection. My family sent a blue million of them back in March since I am frontline healthcare, I have hundreds of them; but the hospital I work for does not currently let employees wear PPE not provided by the hospital.

My biggest upgrade was safety glasses. As above, bedside personell have to wear "safety glasses" for all patient care now. I already have bifocals and a bluetooth headset for my two phones, plus the medical N95 for all patient care, jeez Louise I moved stuff off and on my head all day all summer, now that it's winter I am also dealing with warm hats and surgical caps. I ended up at Occupational Health with a stage one pressure sore behind my left ear and got permission to use prescription safety glasses. The charge nurse at Occ Health and I went accross the hall to Infection Control and got clearance from the charge nurse over there too, and I got emailed permission from my boss's boss to use personally owned prescription "safety glasses" that meet or exceed the safety glasses provided by the hospital, as long as I was using a disinfectant.. blah blah Occ Health blah blah Infection Control blah blah blah.

The key parameter on my employer provided safety glasses proved to be "Z87+". So I read up on Z87, and then called around. The first two glasses shops I talked to said the plus signs don't mean anyting, so I kept calling. The third shop I called, the person on the phone knew more about Z87, Z87+ and and Z87++ than I did, so I went there. She looked at my head, I was wearing the N95 I use for work, we found the tightest possible fitting frames for me that don't interfere with my employer issued N95s, and they are awesome. I have wraparounds with like zilch for peripheral vision, I don't drive in them, but I use them in my shop constantly. I only saw one or two frames rated Z87 without any plus signs on them, most of what was out there this summer for frames was Z87+ or Z87 ++.

I notice I should go ahead and get a dust collector and hook it up. Besides the lathe, my band saw and belt/disc sander all could use DC, and my next power tool will likely be a lunch box planer. Pretty much out of denial on needing a DC this year, no idea where to put it. Probably I will start with a cyclone on my existing shop vac to see if my wife notices.

Marc Fenneuff
12-13-2020, 7:28 AM
Went from no dust collection to a 2HP Delta + cyclone + Wynn filters. Bought a Dylos to monitor fine dust. I’ve always worn a respirator when I felt I needed it, the Dylos takes the guesswork out. Respirator stays on until the Dylos reads <300.

Bought a Shark Guard for my new-to-me table saw.

Got a new pair of safety glasses. They’re the same as the old ones but since they’re not all scratched up I can leave them on now.

Sat down together with my family members and explained to them it was unsafe to ever try to disturb me / get my attention when in the shop using a power tool.

Lee Schierer
12-13-2020, 9:06 AM
Sat down together with my family members and explained to them it was unsafe to ever try to disturb me / get my attention when in the shop using a power tool.

My family was instructed that if any machines are running, just to stand in the door and wait until I turn the machine off.

Jim Becker
12-13-2020, 9:46 AM
I work slower and more methodically as much as possible to reduce the errors that can lead to injury. I'm also wearing hearing protection a lot more...having aids for nearly a year now has emphasized to me what the real noise levels can be in my shop.

I'm also ripping thick stock more often with the bandsaw so that the effects of tension release are less likely to cause an increased potential for injury through forcing a cut.

Phillip Mitchell
12-13-2020, 10:33 AM
My biggest safety upgrade was replacing my modified Harbor Freight DC system with single 4” flex hose drug around from machine to machine with a new (to me) 3 HP 220V collector. I ditched the bags for the best canister filters that Wynn sells, added a Oneida SDD XL on top of a 55 gal drum, and put up 6” S&D PVC pipe to all the machines with blast gates at every machine...I knew it was overdue, but what a difference both in convenience as well as safety/health!

I also added an older, but unused Delta air cleaner that came with the new/used dust collector and I feel like it makes a difference, though I don’t have a reliable way to measure air particulate matter to be certain.

Bernie Kopfer
12-13-2020, 10:46 AM
I'm also ripping thick stock more often with the bandsaw so that the effects of tension release are less likely to cause an increased potential for injury through forcing a cut.

Before I bought a new bandsaw with quick blade release I would hesitate to use the BS because tensioning was a pain. Now it so easy that I am using the saw a lot more for cuts that were not always the most safe to do on the table saw. I never would have thought that a quick tension release on the bandsaw could actually be a safety feature.

Jim Becker
12-13-2020, 8:12 PM
Bernie, I was referring to the tension release that's sometimes in the wood, not the saw blade, but yes, bandsaws that have a quick release are very convenient for sure.

Bruce King
12-13-2020, 8:34 PM
I replaced the prefilter on my ceiling mounted air cleaner with a pleated house type filter. I use push sticks more often. Using my TS sled more and ripping more on the bandsaw. Added a stationary splitter device on my old TS. Taking breaks when tired. Also added a shut off bar on the table saw.

Paul F Franklin
12-13-2020, 9:13 PM
Getting a sawstop PCS and adding the jessum guides to it was probably the biggest thing. I've been pretty consistent about wearing PPE in the shop for a long time, using push sticks, that sort of thing.

Kevin Jenness
12-13-2020, 9:19 PM
447068447069I just added a foot-operated kill switch on my lathe, with a hinged bar over the push button so I can kick it from either the front or back side. Also made a new Fritz and Frans with measuring tapes and flip stops for the slider, much more useful and more likely to be used.

Myles Moran
12-14-2020, 7:11 AM
My family was instructed that if any machines are running, just to stand in the door and wait until I turn the machine off.

My wife loves to run in while I'm planing wood (dw735), and she'll be trying to both get my attention and cover her ears. I've said multiple times that I have the Bluetooth headphones and she can text me, but apparently that's not as fun. Luckily she waits on any other tool, it's just the planer that'll be running for long periods at a time.

My big safety upgrades this year was my sawstop PCS and bluetooth hearing protection. Turns out those worktunes have a way better NRR than the old pair I was using and listening to podcasts means they're on pretty much all the time.

Edit- and one I completely forgot about - I bought a cordless jigsaw for rough cutting lumber before bringing it into the shop (I'm limited to around 6' and usually buy 10 or 12' lumber). I was using my worm drive saw, but I had a piece move and the saw kicked back. Luckily with the weight of the saw it really didn't do much, but I realized that for lumber that's not flat (and hard to properly support) and might start moving when I cut it I need something where a kickback won't send the saw flying back at me.

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2020, 7:40 AM
I have become less likely to perform a risky sawing operation than previously and think about the coming operation more before I do it.

For example, more and more, I remind myself to install the sharkguard, even for one cut. Or I shy away from a cut, like last weekend, when I needed to put a 60* campher on a 4/4 board. The fast and obvious way was to use the tablesaw. But I couldn't get comfortable doing that - the board was just too narrow (unless I built a jig). So I ended up doing it with a spokeshave and a handplane.

Tom Bender
12-18-2020, 8:45 AM
Bought a new box of band aids, was running low.

Justin Rapp
12-18-2020, 3:03 PM
I ordered a new dust collector - going from 30micron to 1 micron filtering, not to mention I will have be putting in all the ducts to each machine. So I won't be 'lazy' to hook up the dust collector for one quick cut. I need to keep this stuff out of my lungs. I already notice I cough to much when woodworking.

Charlie Jones
12-18-2020, 4:05 PM
I am continuing to lean out the shop by making sure tools are in their place within reach of the work. Adding task lighting, improving the dust collection. I am improving storage and have added a small addition to make the shop a little longer. The hardest part is getting rid of the lumber shorts leaning against the corners. I have already made a lot of kindling. All of this improves safety.

Jim Fox
12-18-2020, 4:11 PM
I just don't go in there...........all it does is make me mad.:mad:

Justin Rapp
12-18-2020, 7:18 PM
I am continuing to lean out the shop by making sure tools are in their place within reach of the work. Adding task lighting, improving the dust collection. I am improving storage and have added a small addition to make the shop a little longer. The hardest part is getting rid of the lumber shorts leaning against the corners. I have already made a lot of kindling. All of this improves safety.

I have some troubles getting rid of shorts also... but you have to do it at some point. I have a BIG box of hickory cut-offs and scrap that was for my smoker, which fell apart.

Thomas Wilson
12-18-2020, 9:16 PM
I am in my new dream shop this year so a lot of things have been upgraded for safety. Good lighting, dust collection (never really had much previously), a Dylos particulate meter, and a Sawstop. I also continue to make jigs to hold workpieces. The jigs keep my hands clear of the cutting edges and make the work accurate and reproducible. Next year, I will upgrade my shop glasses for better dust protection and upgrade the dust collection on some of my older tools. The technology for shop safety continues to improve. I want to keep up.

Andrew Seemann
12-18-2020, 11:25 PM
Being more conscious to remember Norm's most important rule: Wear safety glasses. I have gotten much better about having them on whenever I am using power tools.

Rick Potter
12-19-2020, 3:42 AM
I finally have all the parts needed to make a shop vac DC system for small tools and cleanup. Now gotta get it together.

I have also decided that I keep WAAY too much scrap material, especially Part Board, wafer board, etc. I seem to have more space taken up by scrap than tools. I am a cheapskate, so it is really hard for me to throw anything away, but I gotta do it.

Come to think of it, I need to get rid of some mobile bases too, since I just use 4x4"s now and move the big stuff with a pallet jack.

Mike Kees
12-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Bought a new box of band aids, was running low. This.:D I bought a "lot" of garbage cans from a cabinet shop closeout that no one else seemed to notice for $6. This has helped me keep the shop far cleaner. Also finish a job and clean up more consistently.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-19-2020, 11:16 AM
I have switched from N95 masks when router jig dovetailing to pulling my shirt up over my face when working in the dust. Two reasons, first I can't find N95's or anything else, second I've learned that cloth has magical abilities to stop particles much smaller than it's weave without obstructing breathing as much so it's more comfortable and convenient.

:)

Brian Deakin
12-19-2020, 12:23 PM
I have reaffirmed this decision

On entering the workshop I must always identify 5 actions I can complete to improve workshop safety before I allow myself to undertake any task

Examples tidy away tools ,check for trip hazards ,visually scan workshop ,put on face shield ,check have suitable clothing

William Hodge
12-19-2020, 12:57 PM
I finally have all the parts needed to make a shop vac DC system for small tools and cleanup. Now gotta get it together.

I was buying stuff online at Home Depot, and needed something else to get free shipping. I bought a bunch of central vac pipe and got rid of a lot of hoses for the central vac. One day I actually installed the pipes. The hoses are now off the floor, and the fine dust collection is improved.

The other safety improvement was to lock the shop door, to keep everyone out. Customers, the mail lady, friends, etc. used to be welcome to just walk in, but some refused to wear masks. I installed a doorbell with a strobe light. Meetings are shorter outdoors.

Jeff Clode
12-19-2020, 4:17 PM
Purchase of a Dylos particle meter has had a bigger impact on my shop habits and workflows than anything else I’ve done in a long time. Amazing how quickly the small particle counts jump with such seemingly innocuous activities as “just a little bit of sanding” or even sweeping with a push broom..... It has helped me test and modify my dust extraction setups and it’s been quite gratifying to realize how effective the right equipment/setup can be. On the other hand, a little disconcerting to think about all the years of exposure before I starting being concerned about this aspect of woodworking :<(

Jim Becker
12-19-2020, 4:36 PM
I just ordered one of the particle "measurers" for my shop mentioned in a post in Deals and Discounts...the price was right and it will be very interesting to see how the air in my shop evolves throughout a day of working, including when I'm running the CNC machine. I've never done any actual testing previously.

Christopher Herzog
12-19-2020, 5:48 PM
Odd things pop up at auctions. Got a flammable cabinet for the shop.

Gordon Dale
12-19-2020, 6:27 PM
Downloaded free National Institute for Occupational Safety (NIOSH) sound level meter app onto my smart phone to measure decibel levels in my shop.

Paul F Franklin
12-19-2020, 7:04 PM
Odd things pop up at auctions. Got a flammable cabinet for the shop.

Nice. This is on my list. Try not to keep much flammable stuff in shop (well, aside from lumber!), but there are always a few must haves.

sean meltvedt
12-19-2020, 7:13 PM
Added enough battery powered emergency lighting. Up here where we have just a few hours of daylight, and common power outages, its is a concern not to see the cutting edges as the machine coasts to a stop. (Not to mention being able to see where your walking)
Cheers

Alan Lightstone
12-20-2020, 8:44 AM
Purchase of a Dylos particle meter has had a bigger impact on my shop habits and workflows than anything else I’ve done in a long time. Amazing how quickly the small particle counts jump with such seemingly innocuous activities as “just a little bit of sanding” or even sweeping with a push broom..... It has helped me test and modify my dust extraction setups and it’s been quite gratifying to realize how effective the right equipment/setup can be. On the other hand, a little disconcerting to think about all the years of exposure before I starting being concerned about this aspect of woodworking :<(

Having a Dylos meter and good respirator totally changed how I worked in the shop a few years ago. I look at what the ambient particle count is in my home (around 500), and if my shop is higher, I wear a 3M respirator and turn on the Jet air cleaners until it gets down to ambient.

It's amazing how well the Jets work. I can get particle counts down to single digits, which is probably clean room levels. Will I notice a difference in my health? Not immediately, but you so easily prevent long term damage to your lungs and heart.

Shop safety has always been top of my list. It came easy to me being an anesthesiologist. Like pilots, safety is drilled into us from day one of our training, and is a huge part of our daily routines. For example, wearing a mask all day is a typical work day for me. No big deal. No complaining, no arguments, no whining. It's how you work.

I was an instant convert to getting a SawStop when I first saw that YouTube video. I've seen too many patients with missing digits, and spent too many long nights helping surgeons try to put back some.

Jim Becker
12-20-2020, 9:31 AM
Downloaded free National Institute for Occupational Safety (NIOSH) sound level meter app onto my smart phone to measure decibel levels in my shop.

Thanks for that reminder...I actually forgot I have that application, and I need to start using it more often.

Jack Frederick
12-20-2020, 11:31 AM
I am the weak link in the chain. I do not work late into the PM or evening. I am morning energy and as the day progresses I start to miss her, so, time to quit.

Charlie Jones
12-20-2020, 8:48 PM
I have switched from N95 masks when router jig dovetailing to pulling my shirt up over my face when working in the dust. Two reasons, first I can't find N95's or anything else, second I've learned that cloth has magical abilities to stop particles much smaller than it's weave without obstructing breathing as much so it's more comfortable and convenient.

:) Go back to the N95. It says right on the package that it works for dust, but not chemicals, fumes or that really small stuff.....

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2020, 9:10 PM
Go back to the N95. It says right on the package that it works for dust, but not chemicals, fumes or that really small stuff.....

I think that's lost on 99% of its users today.

Pete Costa
12-20-2020, 9:30 PM
This thread has inspired me into action. I cleaned up the shop this weekend, getting a bunch of trip hazards out of the way for good by adding/improving some storage. I (finally) hung the air filter and then made some fairly minor machinery layout changes that make it way easier (and more likely) to use the dust collector more often. I wrapped up the day by making Santa's life easier by ordering a particulate meter, a 3m half-mask, and a bunch of hearing protection to scatter around the shop. Thanks for the kick in the rear!

Michael W. Clark
12-20-2020, 10:09 PM
I rip rough lumber more on the bandsaw, then joint. It's an extra step, but really like the results and workflow. It also puts me using the bandsaw more often so helps me justify a bandsaw upgrade!

I'm going to get some 3M muffs with Bluetooth for hearing protection, that will help during some WW tasks as well as with the leaf blower in the yard.

As for N95, I wear it when working with MDF or other dusty jobs and its great for pollen, but don't depend on it for much else.

Rich Aldrich
12-24-2020, 2:25 PM
I just installed a shark guard with the riving knife on my 2000 Grizzly G1023. Of course this decision was made after it tried to throw a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2 ft. square back at me - the edge split the top of my left index finger at the knuckle - no stitches. The riving knife would have helped, but I also think the fence was not set with toe out (actually toed in) which I found when I lined up the blade and the riving knife. Still, this is a much better guard system than the overhead guard I made out of aluminum. Dust collection is much better.

Bob Andre
12-24-2020, 4:45 PM
All good food for thought. Which Dylos counter to buy. Std or Pro model with a $70 cost differential.

Will Blick
12-26-2020, 12:15 AM
great thread, everyone can pick up tips...
Alan, seeing is believing, that would make me buy a SawStop too... I dont use TS that much and just cant justify it yet...I use the BS as much as possible, but SS is on my buy list. I just bought a new PM2000 and the SS was introduced a few months later.
for me...
1) If the cut does not seem safe, find another way, despite it taking longer!
2) Dont rush, that is when most injuries happen.
3) When tired, or not feeling great, mental fog... dont cut, do shop clean up, sharpen, etc.
4) Wear ear muffs ALWAYS when using my impactor, we are too close to them, and they are NOISY! Once Bosch comes out with a 12V Pneumatic impactor (quiet type), buy it! Love the tool, but that banging gets to me when later during sleep.
5) thx to this thread, get my Dylos out of storage and start using it again!
6) use steel toe shoes consistently, as u never when that parallel clamp falls on your foot! so easy to break a toe or the shoelace bones! Sketchers brand has some super comfortable steel toe shoes. I love sneakers, but after ply fell on my foot a few months ago, I was miserable for weeks.
7) Wear the right diopter glasses, so you can see what your doing better!

Doug Dawson
12-26-2020, 11:12 AM
All good food for thought. Which Dylos counter to buy. Std or Pro model with a $70 cost differential.
The Pro model measures the finer dust, the stuff that really matters health-wise. Well worth the extra moulah IMO.

Michael W. Clark
12-26-2020, 12:01 PM
If looking at new safety shoes, get a good brand and also consider a met guard. The met guard protects the top of your foot. I go into a lot of industrial plants and it is becoming more the norm. Previously only places like steel mills and foundries required them.
I have an internal met guard in mine which makes it easier for climbing ladders. I’ve been wearing my safety boots more in the shop lately and it has really helped my back not be as sore the next day after standing on the concrete floor.

Jack Llewyllson
12-26-2020, 1:16 PM
I have been reading up since I just bought a lathe about a month ago. Our most recent safety thread is about a year old.

What have you changed or upgraded or noticed this year?

Built a shop. The wiring in the old one is custom-calibrated to kill someone. :)

Installed horse stall mats on the floor. Helps with the rooma-tiz, and might save me the occasional dented plane or broken chisel edge.

Much better lighting than I've ever had before.

Moving more equipment off the floor and up onto the walls, where it's much harder to trip over.

Moved my finish cans from an old repurposed kitchen cabinet to an old repurposed auto shop cabinet that's made of steel.

As an inveterate chopsaw slider addict, I'm also planning an upgrade to my old Hitachi "buttersaw" to improve dust collection. It's a real vomit monster.

Will Blick
12-26-2020, 1:31 PM
Jack, can you elaborate on these horse stall mats?
they seem to be just rubber mats
anything unique about them?
other than cush, why did u install them?
do they absorb sound well?
also, how hard are they? can you move machines on mobile bases on them ?
this is my next shop upgrade...thx

Jim Becker
12-26-2020, 6:04 PM
Will, the stall mats are thick and relatively inexpensive per square foot...the purpose is to provide a more comfortable surface for one's feet...concrete can be really hard on feet, knees and hips with long term standing.

Todd Mason-Darnell
12-26-2020, 6:56 PM
Great thread...
1. Added 2 fire extinguishers.
2. Always looking for ways to improve DC
3. All rough sawing on the bandsaw
4. No working when tired or frustrated-otherwise then I have problems with #5
5. Trying to keep the mantra: if there is any doubt if what you are doing is safe, then there is no doubt.

Gordon Dale
12-26-2020, 7:07 PM
Great thread...
1. Added 2 fire extinguishers.
2. Always looking for ways to improve DC
3. All rough sawing on the bandsaw
4. No working when tired or frustrated-otherwise then I have problems with #5
5. Trying to keep the mantra: if there is any doubt if what you are doing is safe, then there is no doubt.

For several years I co-chaired the safety committee for an industrial plant of 1000 people. Point #5 above is the most important one.