PDA

View Full Version : The "modified" Narex hand adze

John Keeton
12-12-2020, 10:35 AM
I previously purchased from Mike Henderson a small hand forged adze head and fashioned a handle for it. Some of you may have seen that post in the Classified forum. It was a really neat tool, and handled well, but I felt it just didn't have enough mass to do some of the deep seat hollowing I do on the Windsor chairs I am building.

Most all of the current hand forged adzes run in the $300-350 range. Not knowing if I can even develop the skill set to use one effectively, I just couldn't justify that cost. So, I purchased the small Narex adze. I own a couple sets of their chisels and like the metal. Their tools seem to be good value.

I read all the reviews, posts, etc. that I could find and expected it to be pretty rough when received. I also knew the geometry of the handle wasn't right. But, upon receipt I was presently surprised. The inside of the blade was cleanly ground with no bevel. It was a fairly quick job getting it to a polished surface. The outside had a decently formed bevel and the edge wasn't too bad, but I wanted a more "rolling" bevel that I felt would work better and still give me the lever effect so I could pull out of a cut. Again, I have never used an adze - just going from everything I have read and watched. It seems the proper technique is kind of a circular movement, at least to clean the surface. Pete Galbert takes a series of chops with the grain and then scoops them across the grain. That technique seems to work well.

Given all of that, I carefully ground the outside bevel to produce a nice rolling bevel, then worked it to a nice, clean edge.

But, the adze had just a bit more weight/mass than I was hoping for. I wanted something closer to 20-22 ounces, so I removed about 7/16" from the length of the throat at the same time I cut the handle off so it could be removed. One cut - two results!

Next would come the handle. On the small adze from Mike I copied the style I have seen on Jason Lonan's adze. That style is used by other blacksmiths, including some popular ones from Europe. Assuming they know what will work, I fashioned a handle from some ash I have and proportioned it so that I achieved the "right angle" geometry suggested by bowl maker David Fisher.

I just finished it up yesterday and haven't attacked a piece of wood yet, but here are pics of the before and after.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2020, 2:14 PM
Thanks for the write up of your new tool John.

Your skill will likely come with use of your adze.

jtk

Derek Cohen
12-12-2020, 7:28 PM
Thanks John. I have also thought about modifying the Narex - I have not used one, or even held the Narex, but it just looks heavy and unbalanced in photos compared with most custom-made adze. A quality adze is not only almost impossible to source these days, but terribly expensive for Australians owing to the exchange rate. About 5 years ago, the Aussie dollar was on parity with the US dollar, but now it costs us 50% more! Shipping costs and delays due to Covid add to the frustrations.

There are inexpensive carving adzes on eBay coming out of Bulgaria. They look quite good, although the bevel is on the inside of the blade, and they need to be re-handled. Has anyone here any experience of these? Do they hold an edge? Balance?

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Keeton
12-12-2020, 7:41 PM
Derek, that Narex is described as 1.8 pounds or about 29 ounces. Several of the popular adzes are around 600 grams or 21 ounces. I did not weigh it, but I believe the metal I removed brought the Narex down to that range. It feels good now, especially with the new handle. The factory handle is terribly shaped and is not user friendly at all. If Narex would reduce the length of the throat by 1/2” and put a decent handle on it they would have a very nice tool. Not hand forged, but very functional. I don’t know what they cost there, but can be found for around $80 or so. The handle only took a couple hours to shape, fit and finish.

ken hatch
12-12-2020, 10:29 PM
I previously purchased from Mike Henderson a small hand forged adze head and fashioned a handle for it. Some of you may have seen that post in the Classified forum. It was a really neat tool, and handled well, but I felt it just didn't have enough mass to do some of the deep seat hollowing I do on the Windsor chairs I am building.

Most all of the current hand forged adzes run in the $300-350 range. Not knowing if I can even develop the skill set to use one effectively, I just couldn't justify that cost. So, I purchased the small Narex adze. I own a couple sets of their chisels and like the metal. Their tools seem to be good value.

I read all the reviews, posts, etc. that I could find and expected it to be pretty rough when received. I also knew the geometry of the handle wasn't right. But, upon receipt I was presently surprised. The inside of the blade was cleanly ground with no bevel. It was a fairly quick job getting it to a polished surface. The outside had a decently formed bevel and the edge wasn't too bad, but I wanted a more "rolling" bevel that I felt would work better and still give me the lever effect so I could pull out of a cut. Again, I have never used an adze - just going from everything I have read and watched. It seems the proper technique is kind of a circular movement, at least to clean the surface. Pete Galbert takes a series of chops with the grain and then scoops them across the grain. That technique seems to work well.

Given all of that, I carefully ground the outside bevel to produce a nice rolling bevel, then worked it to a nice, clean edge.

But, the adze had just a bit more weight/mass than I was hoping for. I wanted something closer to 20-22 ounces, so I removed about 7/16" from the length of the throat at the same time I cut the handle off so it could be removed. One cut - two results!

Next would come the handle. On the small adze from Mike I copied the style I have seen on Jason Lonan's adze. That style is used by other blacksmiths, including some popular ones from Europe. Assuming they know what will work, I fashioned a handle from some ash I have and proportioned it so that I achieved the "right angle" geometry suggested by bowl maker David Fisher.

I just finished it up yesterday and haven't attacked a piece of wood yet, but here are pics of the before and after.

Thanks John,

I have a Narex adze that may end up with the same mods.

ken

Sid Brundage
12-26-2022, 8:34 AM
Hi John, I am new to this site and not sure how to access your pictures of the modifications you made to the Narex adze. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John Keeton
12-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Sid, welcome to the creek! As a contributor you should be able to go to the first page of this thread and view the pics in the first post.

Sid Brundage
12-27-2022, 11:00 AM
Hi John, Thank you! I'm learning my way around the site, I'm not very good when it comes to computer technology and navigation!
I really appreciate seeing your pics. I have been wanting to rehandle my adze for quite awhile but I'm glad that I saw how you shortened the throat. I hadn't thought of that so that's a bonus to reduce the weight. I also like your choice of handle style. I will be attempting this in the near future.
Have you tried your adze since you reworked it and if so are you pleased with the results?

John Keeton
12-27-2022, 2:17 PM
Sid, the modifications made a significant difference in the way the adze handled in action and I think the Narex is a very good choice for the money compared to high end pieces. However, I decided I was more of a scorp/inshave person. I think one needs to spend some time with an adze to gain sufficient control.