PDA

View Full Version : Moving a PM 60 8" jointer

Randall J Cox
12-11-2020, 8:46 PM
I have to move my PM jointer to a new home across town. Can I pick it up with some sort of lifting device from up top with ratchet tie down slings under the ways on each side of the main stand/body? When i moved it into my shop originally many years ago, I took it apart and moved the ways/head and base (with 1.5hp motor) separately. I'm only going about 4 miles. What do you think/recommend? Randy

Bill Dufour
12-12-2020, 12:11 AM
Do not lift from the tables you will break out the dovetails. When I moved my 8" delta I took the machine off the base and set it upside down in the truck. Only four bolts so why not. Also gives you a chance to inspect the belt and bearings. I might have had to unscrew a belt guard. I did remove the fence first. I did not adjust the belt tension. I just tipped the machine up in the front so the belt could be slipped off. reverse on install. Even if you move it in one piece you really should check the torque on those four bolts when you get home. Make sure they are all still installed. First time I was under my new to me 1974 Plymouth Valiant I noticed one of the four one inch bolts holding the main K-member of the front suspension was not installed. I quickly got one from a wrecking yard after I bought a big enough socket and breaker bar. While you are in there make sure the pulley set screws are tight.
While it is off is a good time to see if the dust chute has a top or is open to the sky. If you use plan to ever dust collection seal the top. Much easier to do while it is open with no machine in the way.
Bill D.

Matt Day
12-12-2020, 3:12 PM
I just moved a Delta/crescent 8”. I had it on my trailer and screwed down blocks of 2x4’s to lock the base in place. Then strapped it in a “X” pattern over the cutter head area. Being careful not to actually cut the strap of course. I’ll lift it with an engine hoist by putting the lifting straps as close to the middle as possible. Mine doesn’t have dovetailed ways however. They really aren’t that heavy. But avoid lifting from the very end of the tables as said.

Jack Frederick
12-12-2020, 3:50 PM
When I moved my 8” we coaxed it up into the bed and I secured it from the trailer hitch up over the closed tailgate. I then put a strap over the top to the bed D rings and blocked it to the front of the bed. PO fabricated a couple blocks to go through the cabinet which were then slung and his tractor lifted it onto the bed. Pretty slick the way he laid that out and no pressure on the bed

Tom M King
12-12-2020, 7:26 PM
I moved my 8" Delta many times like that. I built one house a year, for 33 years, and it got moved into every one a couple of years after I started doing that. I had that many garage workshops, that built all the finish parts of the houses, in the house. I stopped doing that in 2007, but that jointer has never needed any adjustment to the bed alignment, as a result of use, or moving it.