PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub refinishing

Rick Potter
12-11-2020, 1:54 PM
I asked a similar question about acrylic tubs, but this one is about the other tub in the house.

Got a cast iron (I think) tub with some stains that don't come off. I have previously (different house) had guys from Craig List refinish a tub twice, and I think they just sprayed epoxy paint on it. This lasted about a year each.

I am wondering if a real company that refinishes tubs, has a product that holds up better.

I paid $300 for the cheap jobs, and the 'pro' price is about $700.

PS: I know I should just replace the tub, but the tile job around it is great, as are the tiles on the floor, and I am sure I would mess them up.

Lisa Starr
12-11-2020, 2:02 PM
My In-laws had their 50 year old tub re-glazed by one of the franchise type "bath refurbishers". It help up great the 5-6 years more that they lived in the house.

Ken Combs
12-11-2020, 5:52 PM
AFAIK, they all use an epoxy coating. There may be different qualities available, but I'd bet there isn't a big difference. Where the difference is, like all painting, is the prep. Acid wash, clean, neutralize etc. Extra cost in labor and chemicals.

Michael Weber
12-12-2020, 1:36 AM
Google or check YouTube for a product named ekopel 2k. I investigated it earlier and may still try it for a possible upcoming project. It looks like a mess putting it on but supposed to be much more durable than the epoxy paint jobs.

Rick Potter
12-14-2020, 2:26 AM
Thanks for the info folks. At age 78, no way I plan to DIY this. I looked up videos, and ads about it, and decided to call a pro shop for an estimate Monday.

I will report back, on both threads.