PDA

View Full Version : White Oak that looks like Red Oak?

John Strong
12-10-2020, 3:31 PM
Hi,

I found a board in my white oak lumber that kinda looks like red oak to me? Is this just a pinkish white oak board? Or is there a chance it's actually red oak. (I don't think so, since the end grain structure looks pretty closed.. and the rays are pretty long)

Tom M King
12-10-2020, 7:18 PM
In this country, about every Oak is either a White Oak, or a Red Oak. That doesn't mean that they are White Oak, or Red Oak. I think the total different varieties are over 100.

Scott Winners
12-10-2020, 11:27 PM
The genus Quercus can hybridize/crossbreed easily. When I did the botany practical in college three of the wood/bark/leaf/acorn samples were "pink" oak, one each of true white and true red. I don't know if "pink" oak is a thing, but it was my professor's term for hybrids of a white and a red oak, and appeared on the multiple choice list on his test.

I don't know the west coast oaks at all, or if that got shipped to California from back east where I took botany.

John Strong
12-11-2020, 4:23 AM
I don't know the west coast oaks at all, or if that got shipped to California from back east where I took botany.

I'm pretty sure the white oak I purchased is being shipped from a mill back east, however, I think theres over 50 different species of oaks in California. I've got 6 50 feet oak trees lining a creek in my backyard. You come across some very cool small scub oaks whenever you drive from the central valley into the foot hills of the Sierra Nevadas.

Best,
John

Brian Tymchak
12-11-2020, 8:53 AM
I've seen white oak with a pinkish cast to it. If you can post a clear picture of a fresh cut on the endgrain, it should be easy to decide.

Patrick Kane
12-11-2020, 8:58 AM
Yep, red oak will have wide open pores on the end grain cut.

Phil Mueller
12-11-2020, 9:03 AM
You can test it. Cut off a piece and place end grain down in a pool of water. If it quickly wicks up to the top, it’s red oak.

Andrew Seemann
12-11-2020, 11:29 AM
It is hard to say from the pictures. White oak can be pretty pink (Pretty in Pink?) sometimes. And red oak can look a bit grey (Touch of Grey?) sometimes. And sometimes white oak is quite light weight, and sometimes red oak feels and cuts like iron. Wood in the wilds of the lumber yard often doesn't look like what it does in the identification books. Endgrain pics would help, although it still is hard to tell without handling the board.

In a practical sense, unless you are making wine barrels, it probably doesn't matter. The below desk is a mix of white and red. Can you tell the difference?

Lee Schierer
12-11-2020, 4:46 PM
Slice off a piece of the "red" board about 1/8" thick. If you can blow through it it is red oak. Or slice off a piece that is 1/16" thick and hold it up to the light. If you can see pin holes of light through it it is red oak

Scott T Smith
12-15-2020, 2:44 AM
They both appear to be white oak to me.

The porosity tests are not 100% accurate. Chestnut white oak is open pored and behaves similar to red oak in the porosity tests.

Mel Fulks
12-15-2020, 3:09 AM
Lots of kinds of oaks. But always thought all were either white or red. I think there is one ....or two the scientists argue
over. I will look that over again, been a while.

Warren Lake
12-15-2020, 3:41 AM
Bottom looks like red, top one looks like white or ive had some red that looked like that. Depends on the area, the trees will be different. Not just one on a hill and one at the bottom of the hill different but Pennsylvannia compared to Michigan different.

Rob Luter
12-15-2020, 8:56 AM
R. Bruce Hoadley is all over it. Hoping he's a good sport too :D