PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Drill Press Surprise

Steve Eure
12-09-2020, 7:19 PM
I bought a 12" Craftsman drill press 10-12 or so years ago. Its a tabletop model that has served me well. Outside of belt speed changes, I haven't had too much problems with it. One problem was the quill spring broke. I couldn't find one anywhere since Sears/Craftsman are notorious for not supporting their tools for more than a few years. Anyhow, I found one from I believe Grizzly that worked. Yesterday, I got a wild hair and googled the model number. Guess who now carries that exact drill press and is still supporting parts for it? RIKON! That's right. Same drill press, same stock number, same parts. And 99% for the parts are in stock. Well, the quill spring wasn't. Anyhow, I'd thought I'd put that out there for anyone who may find themselves in the same boat as me.

Jim Becker
12-09-2020, 8:23 PM
All of the Craftsman branded tools were make by contract just like many of the mass market brands today come out of the same factories. So it's possible with careful cross matching and research to score "the part" sometimes like you did. 'Glad things worked out!