PDA

View Full Version : Miter gauge for bandsaw?

Marty Gulseth
12-09-2020, 6:51 PM
So I just got home and started setting up my new Rikon 10-326 band saw, only to discover that the miter gauge is an accessory! Actually a quite minor aggravation. However - anyone got recommends for a moderately priced miter gauge that is compatible with band saws? I.e., fence not extending too far to the left of center, or adjustable to both sides?

Thanks!

Marty

Steve Eure
12-09-2020, 7:06 PM
I've got he 10-325 with the upgraded guides, essentially making it a 326, sort of. Anyhow, I just use the miter gauge from my Delta table saw on it. I bought an Incra 1000 for the table saw so I repurposed the delta gauge. It works great. I put a piece of scrap wood on it and have not issues.

Frederick Skelly
12-09-2020, 9:00 PM
I use an Incra V27 miter gauge on my 14" Rikon. LINK (https://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITERV27-Miter-V27-Gauge/dp/B0007UQ2DW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Incra+v120&qid=1607565463&sr=8-2). It's about $75.

Jack Frederick
12-10-2020, 12:22 PM
I've too have used the old Delta gauge and like Steve with the wood extension it has worked out really well.

Dave Cav
12-10-2020, 2:50 PM
I built a crosscut sled for my MM20 using a piece of aluminum for the track. It is fixed at 90* but works very well and I use it all the time. If I found the need to cut miters on the saw and didn't have an extra gauge laying around I would get the Incra V27. I had one on my former 17" Grizzly and it worked fine.

Bob Jones 5443
12-10-2020, 4:06 PM
I have the "little guy" saw, Rikon 10-306 10" with the tiny table and the narrow miter gauge slot. It doesn't come with a miter gauge, either. Kind of a Rikon thing, I guess.

Last week I quickly cobbled together an oak bar to fit the slot and grabbed the first 1/2" plywood rectangle in the cutoff box: 9" x 13" or so. I just screwed the bar onto the edge of the plywood and there you go. We went through 1-3/4" ash relatively easily, considering the awkward balancing of the heavy blank on the micro-sized table.

Yesterday I needed to run a 30" 2x6 both endwise and crosscut through the band saw. For the end cut I just used the saw's fence, but for the crosscut I clamped another little ply cutoff on the end of the "miter sled", square to the bar and slot. Then I managed the hulking end of the board by running it along a roller stand.

Both cuts came out smooth and straight. As usual, the setup took 99% of the operation and the cut took 1%.

For smaller crosscuts I will return to the little makeshift sled again and again. I don't see a need to buy a miter gauge. Those would only be good for small parts because the fence part of the gauge needs to ride behind the work. I suppose they would also enable angled cuts, but there again I could clamp a plywood scrap at an angle using my Starrett protractor. If I find that I'd prefer a larger sled area, I'll return to the cutoff pile.

For heavier stock, I might make a sled from 3/4" ply that hangs over the front of the saw table to provide balance and extends farther back to hold more of the work.

Tom Bender
12-15-2020, 7:09 PM
As much as I love using a sled on a table saw it never occurred to me to use one on the band saw. I'm going to try that today.

Ok, not today, I tried my small TS sled and it's just an inch short on the left side. Sooo close to perfect. Tomorrow I'll make another, probably with just a rear fence and a few inches on the off side of the blade, which will mean backing out. A square foot of 3/16" plywood and a bit of Pine for a fence and a bit of Oak for the runner. Maybe I can make that off side part detachable.