PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle

Shaddy Dedmore
01-03-2006, 5:14 PM
Here's a puzzle i played as a little tyke at my Grandpa's... Made by stacking 2 3/32" sheets (from colorado heirloom). One of them was vectored/engraved. (the piece in the lower middle is missing, to allow the pieces to shuffle around). In the pic, you'll see the pieces aren't in the same config as when cut (grain different) but the pieces slide a lot better if you leave them in the same orientation as when cut. Mine slide just fine in the Maple piece just using the Kerf (without making the pieces slightly smaller).

It's FUN

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ShufflePuzzle.jpg

Here's the Ver 9 CDR (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/PuzzleShuffleVer9.cdr)
if you're interested.

Next is the 15 little squares with numbers and you shuffle around rearranging the numbers.

Shaddy.

Joe Pelonio
01-03-2006, 6:19 PM
Shaddy,

That brings back memories, made some wood puzzles years ago for my kids, had to cut with a jigsaw back then. One thing though I learned, get
the clear show polish (Kiwi) and use it on the edges for better sliding.

Shaddy Dedmore
01-04-2006, 1:55 PM
The lasering I think leaves it smoother than a scroll saw does, so the sliding isn't a problem. One thing I might do is revamp the pieces to have tiny radii, once in a while the corners catch on eachother when sliding.

It's been a hit at work, I can't seem to just show it off and move on, i have to leave it with them while they try and solve it. I left it in the break room and people have been taking turns.

The thing so far that gets people is that the pieces aren't captive, I guess they're used to the plastic games where the pieces are interlocked. They keep turning the thing over to look at the back and the pieces fall out.

Shaddy

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2006, 2:02 PM
The thing so far that gets people is that the pieces aren't captive, I guess they're used to the plastic games where the pieces are interlocked. They keep turning the thing over to look at the back and the pieces fall out.Makes it a whole lot easier to solve, doesn't it?:p